The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I think most of the Marvel films are OK - good entertainment pop corn flicks. I am too old and don't have enough history with the Marvel universe and comics in general to get excited beyond that.

Iron Man 3, the second Avengers movie and especially the first Captain America films stand out for thou as being pretty damn awful/boring. Couldn't even get myself to finish Cap America, it was just too bad. 

I saw TTSS at the cinema. Went with my Mom who also was dying to see it having been a big fan of the book and the original TV series.

The only reason I endured the whole film was because I thought she was loving it. Afterwards we discovered that we'd both been thinking exactly the same thing, that we were hating it but thought the other person was enjoying it.

If we'd communicated we could have saved ourselves the trouble :D

Well made film, great cast, but comfortably the most horrifically boring plot I've ever had the displeasure of enduring. It's not even clever, it's completely obvious. I spent the whole film waiting for an interesting bit or a twist, and there wasn't any. You could guess the ending from the first half an hour of the film.

Rubbish.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Just finished watching The Witch. It wasn't rubbish but it wasn't great either. Great acting all round and Calebs scene was terrific. It created a nice atmosphere, very creepy, very ominous and it ticked along nicely but then jumped the shark and lost me in the last 10-15 minutes. I really wanted to enjoy it as I've been looking forward to it for a very long time but it ultimately left me feeling cold. 

Pre last few scenes it was gearing up as a 8/10 but it ended up a 6/10 for me.

That surprises me.

The last few scenes brought everything together. That's what I thought was so clever about it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BOF said:

I did wonder where that phrase came from.

I believe in Movie terms (as opposed to TV), the appropriate phrase is nuking the fridge.

Although neither are really appropriately used in the context of one 90 minute film.

6 hours ago, pooligan said:

The Outsiders  (1983)

I watched this a few nights back and thought it was decent film about gang wars Worth a look 6/10 

I met S E Hinton. She was 17 when she wrote that. I like it a lot (and Rumblefish) - when you look at the cast they put together for this and what they went on to do, its incredible ) I think it was a first film for a lot of them too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I met S E Hinton. She was 17 when she wrote that. I like it a lot (and Rumblefish) - when you look at the cast they put together for this and what they went on to do, its incredible ) I think it was a first film for a lot of them too.

Yeah I think i might have mentioned this before on here (maybe to you OBE?) but I like a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that went on re. The Outsiders.

The guys that played the rough kids got crappy dog eared scribbled versions of the script and stayed in low-rent apartments, whereas the actors playing the upper class kids got leather bound scripts and stayed in swanky hotels. All in the name of creating some 'real' friction between the two which Coppola wanted to leak onto the screen.

As for Rumble Fish - still one of my favourite movies of all time, contains one of the greatest character entrances ever (Motorcyle Boy ofc) and a major reason why I got so heavily into cinematography in my teens.

• Like 1

Gangs of New York. Seen it before, but as it's on, it's reminded me of something that I often wonder about it....

Spoiler

The big battle at the start. The result of which seems to be totally dependent on who dies between Day-Lewis and Neeson, regardless of how many have been been killed on either side. 

Couldn't just the two of them have fought between themselves? Might have reduced the casualty list a bit.

22 hours ago, pooligan said:

The Outsiders  (1983)

I watched this a few nights back and thought it was decent film about gang wars Worth a look 6/10 

Stay gold, ponyboy

56 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Watched The Conjuring last night, as far as horrors go, it was pretty good. One of the better ones i've seen lately. Some absolutely (unintentional) hilarious bits in it too. 

I thought I recognised that, but having watched the trailer, I haven't seen it.  I'll check it out after that rubbish witch ;);)pokey.gif

• Like 2

Â