The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I'll watch the first one and see what it's like.

I personally don't rate it highly as a film. The second one is fantastic and not really a superhero film as such.

Civil War, on initial reaction, is the best they've done. Absolutely fantastic from start to finish.

So an impromptu visit to the cinema to see Civil War. It's pretty good. It's got a pretty good storyline and there isn't so much of the smug cockiness.

Spoiler

Spider-Man and Ant man in the airport fight scene were brilliant.

Scarlett and Olsen were both looking lovely as usual.

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'll watch the first one and see what it's like.

Err the first Cap is completely different to the second one in tone and most other things, its almost entirely opposite apart from having the Captain America character in it, so don’t use that as a basis whether to see the second one or not.

The Winter Solider is an excellent with a  70’s conspiracy type vibe to it, its also go Redford in it so be default is better.

• Like 1

Absolutely. I wouldn't right off Winter Soldier on the basis of disliking the first one (which I'd wager Stevo will ;)). You just need the first movie to develop context for a whole bunch of Cap's character going forward - pretty much every reveal in Winter Soldier is lessened to some extent (in a couple of cases, basically meaningless) if you're going in blind.

But they are very different and while the first is quite light and very much an old fashioned afternoon adventure, the second is more a 70s style political thriller smashed into a blockbuster, with very different tone. Civil War is by all accounts a sequel to Winter Soldier in the first instance, so it's required viewing.

Watched the first one.

Meh. 

I quite liked the setting. I don't know anything about Captain America so had no idea it was set in WW2, mostly. That was interesting.
The film was ok. I found his little rag tag bunch of merry men a bit cringeworthy to be honest and wasn't a big fan of Weaving's character as a bad guy. But it was alright I suppose. I've seen much worse comic book films than that.

I probably wouldn't be rushing to see the next one, but seeing as you guys insist I'll probably give it a watch tonight.

'Tin hat on'

This is why comic book movies hold no appeal for me personally. (Not saying they shouldn't be made or anything like that!)

Imagine having to watch three movies you don't want to watch in order to watch one you do. 

Clearly Stevo's been turned to the dark side, he just doesn't want to admit it. 😉

As for watching in order, that's not really a comic book thing. I personally think you need to watch LotR, Star Wars, etc. In order too, doesn't take anything from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Tin hat on'

This is why comic book movies hold no appeal for me personally. (Not saying they shouldn't be made or anything like that!)

Imagine having to watch three movies you don't want to watch in order to watch one you do. 

to be honest, I think it's a bit overblown. I could watch all any of them and enjoy well enough without knowing anything else going in - I mean it's standardish action film with either humour or thrills dependent on the vibe of each one you've got. It's rather a case of it adds more to it if you're aware of other japes and what not in the Universe. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Tin hat on'

Can certainly see the point. It's a bit of a commitment if you've not kept up with the series and want to jump in fit a specific movie.

But I'd raise this. With Marvel, you're watching a series of movies that share characters and exist in an overlapping world to differing extents. Civil War is at one and the same time Captain America 3, and an continuation of character development that began in some ways 8 years ago. You wouldn't jump in to the Game of Thrones series at book (or series) 3, at least not without at least knowing what happened in the previous 2. The MCU breaks that down a bit because, at this point, there are 13 movies that share characters, but you can just follow series and immediately related films. You don't need to have watched Guardians to understand Avengers 2. You don't need to have watched Thor 2 to get anything from Cap 2. Etc. 

There's a comparison with book series that develop worlds. I'm an enormous Pratchett fan. He wrote dozens of Discworld novels over near enough 30 years, developing a world that had hundreds of characters that cameoed or were referenced across books. And within that individual series cropped up, a series about the adventures of a police force in a city, a series about a loose coven of witches in a satire of rural England, a series about the personification of Death and related people and concepts, and many more. You could easily just read the novels about the coppers and never touch the rest, you'd miss some references and some concepts would be dropped on you a bit but you could easily enjoy them. You could jump in to the police series 3 books in, when the characters were set and you could enjoy the books, but you'd have missed out on the development to get there and whole elements of those characters don't make sense (the main character goes from a dead end broken cynic alcoholic, to the forefront of a modernising force with ever vigilant alcohol monkey on his back, and even greater cynicism, with great disdain for many things he's encountered, and sudden stature in society he doesn't know how to deal with). The MCU does the same thing, but with a bit less subtlety, particularly with Cap's character.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Watched the first one.

Meh. 

I quite liked the setting. I don't know anything about Captain America so had no idea it was set in WW2, mostly. That was interesting.
The film was ok. I found his little rag tag bunch of merry men a bit cringeworthy to be honest and wasn't a big fan of Weaving's character as a bad guy. But it was alright I suppose. I've seen much worse comic book films than that.

I probably wouldn't be rushing to see the next one, but seeing as you guys insist I'll probably give it a watch tonight.

Very different second, solid film.

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Clearly Stevo's been turned to the dark side, he just doesn't want to admit it. 

I've always said when comic book films are good, then they're good. Like any genre really. I'm always willing to watch the good ones.

I just think the majority of them are crap. Which I stand by. The majority of them are shit. The first Captain America did little to turn me away from that general rule of thumb. 

But I'm hoping the second one and Civil War will fall into the good category.

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

'Tin hat on'

That's not really a comic book thing.

If I told you the Bourne Ultimatum was a really good film I'd also tell you you'd need to see the first two films before you watched it.

@Stevo985Winter Soldier is way better than the first Captain America. If you thought the first film was okay I think you'll genuinely like Winter Soldier.

I watched Civil War last night and it's the best film in the MCU. Even a little better than the first Avengers though it is quite a different film. The Russo brothers have done brilliantly but I was concerned that Winter Soldier succeeded because it was a tighter story without the real threat of global domination, alien invasion or a bigger roster of characters to squeeze in. 

Well, they certainly nailed the bigger roster in Civil War. Every character had their part and even though some were bigger than others, the lesser-used characters still shine, particularly Ant-Man and Spidey. They were definitely my favourite parts of the movie. 

I wont mention the antagonist and the threat he poses because of spoilers, but I thought it was great and something a little different.

Best MCU film to date. See it on the big screen. If you don't grin when you see Spider-Man you have no soul ;)

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

Would anyone be interested in reviews of Chindie's reviews? 

Cos I firmly believe the above is his greatest achievement thus far. Top stuff. 

6 hours ago, coda said:

Watched Son of Saul yesterday. Such a distinctive approach to that subject. Won't be watching it again.

Would you recommend it? I'm thinking of going to the cinema tonight. 

Obviously I know it'll be harrowing, depressing etc etc but is it worth putting myself through?

Ted 2: 

Some genuine laugh out loud hilarious moments but overall weaker than the first film. 5/10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Would you recommend it? I'm thinking of going to the cinema tonight. 

Obviously I know it'll be harrowing, depressing etc etc but is it worth putting myself through?

Definitely worth seeing. It's such a bold visual style but it's relentless.

• Like 1

Â