The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Xmen Apocalypse reviews are out.

It's not a runaway hit. Most of the reviews are meh, really, generally saying it has it's moments (Quicksilver, Wolverine) but otherwise it's a mess.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's not a runaway hit. Most of the reviews are meh, really, generally saying it has it's moments (Quicksilver, Wolverine) but otherwise it's a mess.

There's a surprise.

These sort of films can't get a free pass anymore, yes they are making tons of money but rehashing the same generic storylines again and again is getting very old, very fast.

The Witch:

Watched it last night and loved it. All about fear and paranoia, a growing sense of unease and its all about what you can't see.

Very similar to the babadook in that sense so no surprise that I enjoyed this. For a first time director it was a very impressive effort and most of the cast really threw themselves into this and the film was all the better for it, the older children were both quite impressive.

If I had any gripe with it, it would be Chris Finch playing the dad... I did struggle to get past that at times because honestly that's the only other show I have seen him in.

That aside it was a solid 8/10 film, definitely not for everyone because the first half of the film is a very slow build but if you like your horror films to be psychological this is highly recommended.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

There's a surprise.

These sort of films can't get a free pass anymore, yes they are making tons of money but rehashing the same generic storylines again and again is getting very old, very fast.

i think this trilogy has been in a strange place, a large chunk of which has been down to them pushing jennifer lawrence, they seem to be slowly losing the core of the story which should be professor x and magneto and maybe because in the last film the huge cast actually managed to work ok they've flooded this one, trying to be too clever with showing us all the big hitters as youngsters

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

The Witch:

Watched it last night and loved it. All about fear and paranoia, a growing sense of unease and its all about what you can't see.

Very similar to the babadook in that sense so no surprise that I enjoyed this. For a first time director it was a very impressive effort and most of the cast really threw themselves into this and the film was all the better for it, the older children were both quite impressive.

If I had any gripe with it, it would be Chris Finch playing the dad... I did struggle to get past that at times because honestly that's the only other show I have seen him in.

That aside it was a solid 8/10 film, definitely not for everyone because the first half of the film is a very slow build but if you like your horror films to be psychological this is highly recommended.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to convince my fiancée to watch this movie with me last night since she mentioned something along the lines of being in the mood for something "supernatural". After watching the trailer (something I advice against, but yknow...) she was practically begging for anything else with a half-panicked facial expression. So I ended up putting on Ron Howard's In the Heart of the Sea instead, which was a perfectly decent epic. Guess I'll have to watch this one solo... ^^

4 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

The Witch:

That's who it was!

I came to the conclusion that I knew him from Game of Thrones (which he was in to be fair) but I knew there was somethign else he was in. Brilliant :D

He's a very good actor actually but always seen more of an old fashioned 'character' actor rather than a leading man.

He's in the excellent Selfish Giant which I think everyone should watch.

There's a surprise.

The fact they're making that money suggests they're not getting old (to most film goers).

Even stuff that gets absolutely hammered by critics and those that saw it opening weekend, like BvS, still makes money. So people are happy to see it, despite knowing the overwhelming opinion is that it's shit.

new king kong film out next year isnt there? i'll reserve judgement until seeing how good that is

16 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

The fact they're making that money suggests they're not getting old (to most film goers).

Even stuff that gets absolutely hammered by critics and those that saw it opening weekend, like BvS, still makes money. So people are happy to see it, despite knowing the overwhelming opinion is that it's shit.

yep, deadpool made silly money this year (more than guardians, more than BvS, more than thor and CA) and civil war is possibly the most critically acclaimed superhero film to date so they arent going anywhere any time soon even if the likes of BvS and Xmen get slated, they'll still make the studio $100-200m once they've added up the ticket sales and merchandise 

• Like 1

I suspect this isn't going to buck the trend of video game adaptations being usually fairly bad. The choice of music is dreadful and the conceit of Assassin's Creed (which always seemed completely superfluous to me) looks even more daft on screen.

On 9 May 2016 at 00:35, Chindie said:

Doesn't surprise me, the trailers looked crap and I really don't rate Bryan Singer one bit. Should have learned after X2.

Edited by Ginko

Â