The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

So the marvel cinematic universe, I've watched must if them and find them pretty enjoyable, especially the later few. But I just can't get the iron man films (As mentioned previously I skipped these when watching the films). Just tried to watch iron man 2, and was bored and had no affinity towards the character (I don't with cap am either).

Iron man 2 was a great learning curve for marvel and not in a good way, it's a pretty shit film, up there with the hulk films which they don't disregard but don't dwell on either

It's also important to realise what's marvel and what's Kevin fiege, the new fantastic four for example, utter shite but proper marvel, that's fox I think

Iron Man 2 is Marvel trying to churn out a sequel. It's arguably the worst film they've made, and it's fairly inconsequential in the scheme of the MCU, simply introducing a few supporting cast members. It's a mess but they needed something to plug a scheduling gap (Iron Man and Incredible Hulk are released in 2008, they'd skipped 2009 and Thor and Cap weren't due till 2011, they needed to release something in 2010) and Iron Man was the only thing they could do, conveniently he was also an immediately popular character.

It's notable that Cap is so far the only MCU character to have a really great sequel, and I say that as someone who actually quite liked Thor 2. Winter Soldier is fantastic, and it sounds like Civil War will add to Caps record of being the most consistent character in the series. 

• Like 2

I still think cap 2 is marvel purposefully trying to differentiate their roster, it's a political thriller posing as a summer super hero blockbuster, it's not an action film, it's not a comedy, it retains some elements of both but it's a thriller, I can imagine kids being bored to tears with it

I'd expect the next Thor and Dr strange to go deep in to fantasy, they have the avengers and spiderman as your standard action, guardians and ant man to dabble in comedy, not a clue what tone they'll try with black panther, they don't need stand alone iron man anymore or probably even another hulk film unless they need to establish where he is in time for infinity war because IMO neither of those films would be anything other than filler

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Iron man 2 was a great learning curve for marvel and not in a good way, it's a pretty shit film, up there with the hulk films which they don't disregard but don't dwell on either

It's also important to realise what's marvel and what's Kevin fiege, the new fantastic four for example, utter shite but proper marvel, that's fox I think

Marvel-Movie-Rights-Infographic.jpg

This isn't quite right as technically Hulk rights for solo movies are with Universal I think to some degree (same basis as Namor). It also doesn't list a bunch of minor characters and related properties (no Inhumans under Marvel, not that that's a bad thing, no reference to the associated elements each holds, I.e. villains associated with those characters). But it's mostly on the money.

Interestingly the Sony deal with Spidey, which originally was described was Sony loaning the character but maintaining some creative control, is now being described as Marvel being able to do whatever they like with it and Sony very much being on the backburner.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see F4 slide back across soon enough after last year's flop. Unless Fox are prepared to be as petty as Marvel are about things - they cancelled the F4 comic last year after years of publication for seemingly no reason. Given that they also in recent years refused to push Xmen toys and tried to replace that comic with the Inhumans suggests the real reason was the undermine Fox's films.

I'd be bitter if they handed them F4 after civil war, said before sue and reed is my favourite arc from that comic, if they reboot it (again) they have to nail Dr doom, he's the key, he's a thanos type 10 year build up get everything right and then have everyone fight him up type villain, you could probably say the same about galactus but doom is better

All that said I'm still to be convinced by marvels end game which is a film with thanos as the big bad, I think they've cleverly dipped their toe and done a bit of a reveal and a bit of build up but much like the new xmen film where you look at apocalypse and can't but feel he looks a bit daft, thanos needs work in order to work IMO not sure how they get him right from the comics and get him right on the big screen at the same time, at the moment he's a bit shit

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I still think cap 2 is marvel purposefully trying to differentiate their roster, it's a political thriller posing as a summer super hero blockbuster, it's not an action film, it's not a comedy, it retains some elements of both but it's a thriller, I can imagine kids being bored to tears with it

I'd expect the next Thor and Dr strange to go deep in to fantasy, they have the avengers and spiderman as your standard action, guardians and ant man to dabble in comedy, not a clue what tone they'll try with black panther, they don't need stand alone iron man anymore or probably even another hulk film unless they need to establish where he is in time for infinity war because IMO neither of those films would be anything other than filler

It absolutely was part of a strategy to borrow genre elements for their movies going forward. Cap does pinch 70s political thriller tropes purposefully (and it is true it isn't the popular with children), Guardians was a complete left field choice for a sci fi pulp comedy, etc.

Dr Strange is unavoidably going to be fantasy (although I still wager they use the quantum stuff from Antman to explain it) but is said to have horror elements. Who knows what's happening with Thor, it's being directed by Taika Waititi of Flight of the Concords and has Hulk in it, and is doing a bunch of donkey work for Infinity War is been suggested. Black Panther stands out simply by being about a black African character. Captain Marvel gives them a female lead and a more serious cosmic sci fi entry... Etc etc. They can't rely on the same characters forever so phase 3 will certainly be a something of a passing of the mantle in many respects, but it also lets them mess with other genres even more. They've got loads of avenues to go down with characters they've not even considered.

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'd be bitter if they handed them F4 after civil war, said before sue and reed is my favourite arc from that comic, if they reboot it (again) they have to nail Dr doom, he's the key, he's a thanos type 10 year build up get everything right and then have everyone fight him up type villain, you could probably say the same about galactus but doom is better

All that said I'm still to be convinced by marvels end game which is a film with thanos as the big bad, I think they've cleverly dipped their toe and done a bit of a reveal and a bit of build up but much like the new xmen film where you look at apocalypse and can't but feel he looks a bit daft, thanos needs work in order to work IMO not sure how they get him right from the comics and get him right on the big screen at the same time, at the moment he's a bit shit

Civil War won't have anything to do with the comic (bar Tony and Cap have ideological differences and fight) so it shouldn't matter F4 aren't there ;)

Doom and the Skrulls are the only reason I want them to get the F4 rights back. Doom is their best villain, and Fox have consistently **** it up. He can be an Avengers standard villain done properly and he's an easy multiple movie big bad. Doubt it'll happen though. They'll not use him as a mega villain. The Skrulls are just great for the sci fi stuff they're doing.

Thanos... He's barely been on screen, less than 5 minutes across the films, and we don't know anything about him, beyond him seeking out the Infinity Gems. So it's hard to say. The first Infinity War movie has to establish his threat, and his motivation. The comics plot won't work on film (powerful insane alien is literally in love with the personification of Death, sets about becoming so powerful, through elements of a dead God, that he can kill the universe to prove his devotion) so they need to be very careful, and they can't just say 'he's really evil'. The screenwriters are the same as Winter Soldier, who've said they're absolutely aware of that and are coming up with great moments to show Thanos as this threat that had to be stopped. I've got faith in them. He's not quite as ludicrous as Apocalypse, certainly in the looks stakes, although a lot of that is due Apocalypse being born of the period comics went to shit, late 80s/early 90s.

I wonder if whoever owns the rights by then would let Sony/MRC use Dr Doom (and for that matter Warner Bros re: Harry Potter and Disney re: Star Wars) in the Dark Tower V : Wolves of the Calla movie, if it ever gets that far? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Xann said:

Watched 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' over the weekend.

She wanted to watch it.

Dullsville. 

Bandersnatch Cummerbund's hair was the best bit.

As an exercise in proving you can make a film that's quite similar in look, feel and colour pallette to an older TV series, that itself was an interpretation of a book, it was fairly successful.

Other than that, not really sure what it was for. Other than it did cause me to re watch the whole of the original TV series.

Yep, I was disappointed by it. But it made me read the book, which I enjoyed, and then discover the TV series with Alec Guinness which I loved so for what it prompted me to do I'm thankful, but the film was a big let down, having read the book afterwards, I'm amazed they tried to condense it down into one two hour film in the first place. Need to give stuff like that time to develop, like er, The Night Manager. 

Just finished watching The Witch. It wasn't rubbish but it wasn't great either. Great acting all round and Calebs scene was terrific. It created a nice atmosphere, very creepy, very ominous and it ticked along nicely but then jumped the shark and lost me in the last 10-15 minutes. I really wanted to enjoy it as I've been looking forward to it for a very long time but it ultimately left me feeling cold. 

Pre last few scenes it was gearing up as a 8/10 but it ended up a 6/10 for me.

Edited by Ingram85

8 hours ago, Xann said:

Watched 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy' over the weekend.

She wanted to watch it.

Dullsville. 

Bandersnatch Cummerbund's hair was the best bit.

I quite liked it. It is slow but never found it boring.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

So the marvel cinematic universe, I've watched must if them and find them pretty enjoyable, especially the later few. But I just can't get the iron man films (As mentioned previously I skipped these when watching the films). Just tried to watch iron man 2, and was bored and had no affinity towards the character (I don't with cap am either).

I just can't get into them. I'm not a comic book movie hater, I've watched most of them as I want to like them but I can't!

The Cap films are probably my favourite.

Couldn't even get past the opening few minutes of the latest Avengers film without losing interest :mellow:

TTSS was fantastic. Oldman's performance was masterful.

I did see it at the cinema. It might have been a bit less atmospheric at home and lose some of the tensity?

Â