The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

Give the plot away trailer.

Still looks... Weak.

Also

Hide contents

in a move that shocks no-one, Wolverine is in it. Possibly just a cameo but he was always going to be in it.

Spoiler

Bit annoying how he is in it, as either they've had him time travel again, or its meant to be when he is younger (ish)but helping the X men, but then that completely disregards the first few films and also the end of days of future past where he meets the school again when everyone is older.

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

A very peculiar film - great in places but a bit lame in others.

Essentially, set almost modern day but in a different society, where after becoming single, people get 45 days to find a mate otherwise they get turned into an animal of their choice (reading the VT relationship thread - Birmingham would be overrun with animals!)

A very good cast and an interesting concept

I'd be a wombat

• Like 1

Watched the X-Men trailer... meh. Wasn't that keen on the previous 27 X-Men films

Anyway, watched this at the weekend. Great performances and while the story is hardly original, I really liked it

Southpaw_poster.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:
  Hide contents

Bit annoying how he is in it, as either they've had him time travel again, or its meant to be when he is younger (ish)but helping the X men, but then that completely disregards the first few films and also the end of days of future past where he meets the school again when everyone is older.

xmen -

Spoiler

i thought they'd already said the last film effectively meant the end of the first trilogy? 

and iirc when he met everyone at the end of days of future past he was already a teacher there suggesting he'd been there for a while, dont think they'll do a good job of him and jean in this one

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Days of Future Past reset the the entire timeline so, in essence, the films that have come before, except First Class, are no longer canon.

Apocalypse is set on the 80s so this is the Logan that was already in the 70s, presumably after he was picked up by Stryker at the end of DOFP.

If that makes sense...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hogso said:

The new movie adaptation of IT has been given a release date of next September. I'll be stunned if it turns out to be any good, the production has been a nightmare, and the cast is still up in the air. Will Poulter has now alledgedly pulled out from playing the eponymous villain due to scheduling conflicts. In a perfect world I'd like to see a Stephen King Cinematic Universe, with The Dark Tower acting as the backbone to the whole thing, with producers picking those tales which link in closest to Roland and his Ka-tet. Unfortunately it's all looking increasingly murky, and I'll be staggered if any of the films are decent.

I haven't seen the original adaptation of IT.

But having read the book, I just can't see how it can be visualised. I can't remember the book exactly, but I'm sure large parts of it are imagined or take place in the kids' heads. I just don't get how they can turn that into a film.

Saw The Jungle Book last night and it is excellent, great blend of peril and humour for a family film.  I think the screening we saw it in must have been adapted slightly as the volume was slightly lower and there were subtitles for some reason, but it was nice to see a film where there was no exaggerating characters - the tale was sufficiently well told!

I'm so good to you people.  I've just watched ANOTHER film so that you don't have to.

The Witch (or VVitch as the poster says).

To be honest, it wasn't particularly bad.  It was well cast.  Acting was good.  It was short enough (mercifully).  It just wasn't scary in the slightest.  I don't mean bad frights.  The moments were few, far between and not in any way scary.  So on that front it failed miserably.  So not so much a bad film as a 'just don't bother' film.

4/10.

18 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm so good to you people.  I've just watched ANOTHER film so that you don't have to.

The Witch (or VVitch as the poster says).

To be honest, it wasn't particularly bad.  It was well cast.  Acting was good.  It was short enough (mercifully).  It just wasn't scary in the slightest.  I don't mean bad frights.  The moments were few, far between and not in any way scary.  So on that front it failed miserably.  So not so much a bad film as a 'just don't bother' film.

4/10.

Get the **** out.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Witch bit do you disagree with? My compliments or my criticisms?

All of your criticisms basically. I thought it was an almost flawless horror movie in every way and as CED says, it stayed with me for days after. The tension created was almost palpable and it was masterfully shot and scored.

Basically, I loved the **** out of it.

Just now, Designer1 said:

All of your criticisms basically. I thought it was an almost flawless horror movie in every way and as CED says, it stayed with me for days after. The tension created was almost palpable and it was masterfully shot and scored.

Basically, I loved the **** out of it.

I agree on everything other than that it was scary.  Which is a pity because other than that it was done well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

I agree on everything other than that it was scary.  Which is a pity because other than that it was done well.

Depends what you class as scary.

There's a psychological scary which is built on a sense of unease and growing tension, this is what is so rare in modern cinema (as shown in the babadook and I assume the witch but I haven't seen it yet.

Then there is quiet quiet bang which is 95% of horror films which isn't scary and just downright lazy filmmaking most of the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Horror movies of that ilk are often divisive regarding how scary they are perceived to be.

For me, horror is done best when it's less about the obvious and more about the unseen.

I think The Witch did that fantastically well and I found it incredibly unsettling.

The Witch was excellent.

To be honest, @BOF, between not liking that film, and thinking Ted 2 was anything other than garbage, I'm beginning to wonder whether this marriage is going to last.

Still need to watch the Witch. I'm not a horror movie fan, I can't bear anything that relies on jump scares because it's not really scaring you, it's promoting an involuntary reaction no different to if a shelf fell down in your house one night, but I can enjoy the more tense, unsettling horrors, with the Shining always being my favourite creepy film. So it should be right up my street.

I have been told it's heavy on 'scripture', which is inescapable given the premise I guess, so I'll have to drag myself through that, but I'm quite looking forward to the home media release.

42 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Depends what you class as scary.

There's a psychological scary which is built on a sense of unease and growing tension, this is what is so rare in modern cinema (as shown in the babadook and I assume the witch but I haven't seen it yet.

Then there is quiet quiet bang which is 95% of horror films which isn't scary and just downright lazy filmmaking most of the time.

This. The former are almost always what he good horror films consist of.

Â