The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The Conjuring is 'inspired' by real life paranormal investigators the Warrens. You can tell it was only inspired because, despite the mythos built around the Warrens, the only paranormal thing they are supposed to have witnessed first hand if I recall correctly was a toy move. So they put it in a case and claimed it was possessed.

The sequel is inspired by the Enfield haunting. I've no doubt it'll have absolutely nothing to do with the original hoax.

Well you know my views on 'inspired' or 'based on'.  "There was this one time a family lived in a house", and the rest is up to the writers.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose. "Based" on a true story.

Watch the film, then read about the actual story.

About the only similarity is that there was a girl who had an exorcism.

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well you know my views on 'inspired' or 'based on'.  "There was this one time a family lived in a house", and the rest is up to the writers.

Oh certainly. I've never seen the original movie, but given that I believe it was supposedly based on one of their first 'investigations', which if I remember correctly was about a house that had weird goings on due to things, even trailer tells you it's complete horseshit.

I actually might see if it's on any streaming services, the missus saw it at the cinema as a horror movie lover and hated it so maybe we can treat it as a comedy...

The sequel being based on the Enfield case is irritating because, even though it was a hoax, the Enfield haunting is creepy as hell, even though you know its a couple of kids playing up. It doesn't really need to be turned into a 'quiet quietBANG' horror. I suspect the adaptation from last year with Timothy Spall, which attempted to use the story to tell a horror story and investigate the mindset of Maurice Gross, who was the first investigator of the case, will blow whatever James Wan does out of the water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Designer1 said:
So Civil War is excellent.

Easily the best of the Marvel films since the Avengers Assemble and a high watermark for anything that follows in it's footsteps. The Russo's deserve a huge amount of credit.

Everyone on their A game, an interesting plot and although the main villain doesn't particularly stand out, they have at least tried something more interesting with their storyline and motives.

Oh, and something for @Stevo985, due to the nature of the storyline and where Tony Stark is in his own personal story, there are practically zero one-liners or comedic lines from Iron Man. In fact, while we're on the subject of Iron Man, I have to give special kudos to RDJ. Without giving too much away, he's in quite a different place in this movie and Downey absolutely smashes it out of the park.

Couple of other things which i'll spoiler just in case:

Spoiler

Spoiler They absolutely nail Spiderman from the first of his scenes to the last. If the short amount of screen time that Tom Holland gets is anything to go by, the stand alone movies are going to be great.

Spoiler

Spoiler The fight scene at the airport when the heroes from both sides clash is a thing of beauty. I was grinning like a loon for it's entirety and once again the Russo's have managed to take something that could be a cluster **** and made it a great.

Going to see it tommorow night cant wait

No one liners? 

I'm in!

No seriously, I would quite like to see this given the positive reviews. Do I need to see the other Captain America films first? Because they kinda look like they suck balls so I'd rather not.

Edited by Stevo985

You'll probably need to have seen both Caps, Age of Ultron and, to a lesser extent, Ant-man.

The first Cap is good period silly fun, the second is genuinely excellent.

You could probably get away with reading a plot synopsis of the first film but it's certainly worth a watch I think. It had a great atmosphere and tone, and being set in WW2 makes it quite unlike anything else they've done.

Edited by Chindie

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No one liners? 

I'm in!

No seriously, I would quite like to see this given the positive reviews. Do I need to see the other Captain America films first? Because they kinda look like they suck balls so I'd rather not.

The 2nd cap film is probably one of the best Marvel films to date. You probably could get away with not watching them but wouldn't recommend it.

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You'll probably need to have seen both Caps, Age of Ultron and, to a lesser extent, Ant-man.

The first Cap is good period silly fun, the second is genuinely excellent.

You could probably get away with reading a plot synopsis of the first film but it's certainly worth a watch I think. It had a great atmosphere and tone, and being set in WW2 makes it quite unlike anything else they've done.

Yeah, **** that.

7 minutes ago, lp_villa830 said:

The 2nd cap film is probably one of the best Marvel films to date. You probably could get away with not watching them but wouldn't recommend it.

I'll watch the first one and see what it's like.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah, **** that.

Skip the first one. It's a good movie but, on the basis you're watching to watch Civil War you only really need to take 1 thing away from it (you've already seen Avengers so you know what Caps character is like). Read the synopsis and you'll get what you need to know. Hell I can tell you now in a sentence.

Definitely watch Winter Soldier. A significant element of Cap's motivations come from that movie, and it is genuinely great, has some great action and a political thriller flavour for as good chunk of it.

Age of Ultron develops Stark and explains some of his motivation in Civil War. It also develops a bit of the animosity between him and Cap. Again you could probably get this from a paragraph about the plot.

Ant-man just establishes his character, and powers, and explains why anyone knows who he is. Probably not essential.

Â