The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I think it's one of those things that you're not supposed to criticise it but like everything else the book is a lot better, it goes in to a lot more detail about his character, his bribery days, drinking, womanising, gambling and profiteering, the film touches on all of these but doesn't really show what a good life he had at the start of the war and iirc doesn't really say anything about who he was before and after the war, which was an unsuccessful nobody really

It's a decent film, fiennes is absolutely superb in it but to me it says a fair bit about the Jews, fair bit which maybe isn't right about Schindler and then a lot about the nazis being absolute bastards, it doesn't make any attempt to explore why other than deep rooted anti semitism which isn't necessarily the case

I think the Pianist is a way better movie.

But then again Polanski > Spielberg.

We can agree on this one. The Pianist is one of my favourite ever films, certainly my favourite film about the war.

Heart wrenching, from all directions.

• Like 2

Pacific Rim 2 has probably been binned.

I was surprised it got this far tbh.. I like the first fun for some schlocky nonsense trading on nostalgia for Kaiju movies, but financially it didn't do well enough to justify big bucks on a sequel.

Everest is very good. I didn't actually know any of the real life details going into the film so I was insanely anxious in the build up to the disaster bit. Score was a bit over wrought at times though was mostly very effective in keeping you tense, along with all the usual shots of mountains which remind me why I definitely don't do mountains, and Jason Clarke is particularly excellent, but all round the cast are pretty fine. I don't think it breaks any mould in these types of films, but it's very good at what it does. Was fascinating to see how much of it was actually true, including a particularly emotive bit

the conversations between Hall and his wife :(

From Hell (2001 Not the best film i have ever seen for sure ,but i enjoyed watching it and is worth a look .It is more or less Jack The Ripper with a different name .I thought was really good in it 710

Any good coming of age films to watch? Fancy something uplifting.

Mud

Perks of being a Wallflower

I enjoyed Mud (7.5/10) & really liked Perks of being a Wallflower (8.5/10).

Omariqy, I'll throw in the following suggestions:

The Way Way Back

Nick & Norahs Infinite Playlist

Youth In Revolt

The Son Of Rambow

(also agree with Mud and Perks suggestions - both very good!)

Â