The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

The neccessary death of Charlie Countryman. 

Bit of a meh film really, style over substance most of the time. Shia is ok in it but that's about it really. Might watch Fury tomorrow night to continue the back catalogue of his.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Leviathan - Powerfully dark and beautiful indictment of the state by Zvyagintsev, very much in the style of his previous masterpieces, The Return and The Banishment.

Bergman without the laughs.

Did you see Cargo 200 by the dearly departed Aleksei Balabonov and My Joy by Sergey Loznitsa?  Both on similar lines to Leviathan, but more lurid and darkly farcical.  I would recommend both (if you can find them).

Perks of Being a Wallflower was OK but for teenagers really into music...

HOW CAN THEY NOT KNOW WHO DAVID BOWIE IS

haha, yeah I thought the same thing. They are all into The Smiths but have no idea who Bowie is? Errr...what? 

Edited by PieFacE

Fury Road just black and white with the score only, kind of indicates how awesome it is when it still works.

Not a lot going on my arse, dont always need massive painted signs explaining everything, when visually it introduces everything perfectly.

Just watched it on Sky Store.... Really loved it.

Supporting characters fully realised without the need to paint back stories with dialogue, minimal exposition, just a great feast of action, emotion, stunning scenery of the Namibian landscapes (doubling for Oz) - the near two hours just flew by..

I suppose it helps that I'm a fan of the original 3 and have been waiting for this since it was originally announced in 2000/2001

• Like 1

Watched Frailty again the other night.

An underrated classic for me, don't know why but I just love it. The tone is spot on, the acting is good across the board (apart from the detective) and it just feels like a unique film (to me at least)

• Like 2

Watched Frailty again the other night.

An underrated classic for me, don't know why but I just love it. The tone is spot on, the acting is good across the board (apart from the detective) and it just feels like a unique film (to me at least)

Great movie and very overlooked. Paxton on top form.

The Spandau version of The Krays was on TV last night

On reflection Legend is miles better  .... the sound effects of Martin Kemp punching 2 guys into his Car were embarrassingly bad

Haven't seen Legend yet but the Kemps version was done 25 years ago and was good at the time. Tom Bell was brilliant in it I thought. Also Susan Fleetwood gave a good performance as he mother. 

I guess Legend should be better. If it isn't whats the point of doing the same story again.

The American

Caught this last night and what a gem it is, a glacial paced thoughtful thriller and while clooney was superb, clara was just stunning. Beautifully shot, amazing locations. Loved it.

8/10

The Spandau version of The Krays was on TV last night

On reflection Legend is miles better  .... the sound effects of Martin Kemp punching 2 guys into his Car were embarrassingly bad

Haven't seen Legend yet but the Kemps version was done 25 years ago and was good at the time. Tom Bell was brilliant in it I thought. Also Susan Fleetwood gave a good performance as he mother. 

I guess Legend should be better. If it isn't whats the point of doing the same story again.

She played the Aunt iirc. The late, great Billie Whitelaw played Violet.

The American

Caught this last night and what a gem it is, a glacial paced thoughtful thriller and while clooney was superb, clara was just stunning. Beautifully shot, amazing locations. Loved it.

8/10

is that the film where the girl kept getting her boobies out for no apparent reason  ..oh I'm just going for a swim in the lake , topless ..oh I'm just going to sunbath and have a picnic ..topless ?

I had it on the background last night whilst I was checking emails and stuff but didn't really pay attention as I'd missed  the first hour  ... nice pair though , I certainly paid attention when they appeared :)  

Edited by tonyh29

The American

8/10

is that the film where the girl kept getting her boobies out for no apparent reason  ..oh I'm just going for a swim in the lake , topless ..oh I'm just going to sunbath and have a picnic ..topless ?

I had it on the background last night whilst I was checking emails and stuff but didn't really pay attention as I'd missed  the first hour  ... nice pair though , I certainly paid attention when they appeared :)  

Thats the one. Worth the 8/10 for her alone.

Perks of Being a Wallflower was OK but for teenagers really into music...

HOW CAN THEY NOT KNOW WHO DAVID BOWIE IS

haha, yeah I thought the same thing. They are all into The Smiths but have no idea who Bowie is? Errr...what? 

The writer got a hard time for that on release. I'm sure he was asked the question dozens of times but here is the response (Taken from here)

[Laughs] You and John Malkovich and Jim Powers [both producers on the film] could all gang up on me and say, “We don’t believe it,” and I will put my hand on a Bible and say, “In the early 90s, David Bowie was ‘Let’s Dance’ to me. He was that guy.” The whole 70s Bowie, because I was more into grunge, I came late to him. Listen, if you say to me, “The kids not knowing ‘Heroes,’ it’s not realistic,” I will cop to it! Anyone who has a bone to pick, I can’t argue. But I swear to god, it was real!

Â