The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

30d466a2479c.jpg

Definitely up there as one of the best films i've seen released this year.

Recommended  :thumb:

When young Lili is forced to give up her beloved dog Hagen, because it's mixed-breed heritage is deemed 'unfit' by The State, she and the dog begin a dangerous journey back towards each other. At the same time, all the unwanted, unloved and so-called 'unfit' dogs rise up under a new leader, Hagen, the one-time housepet who has learned all too well from his 'Masters' in his journey through the streets and animal control centers how to bite the hands that beats him.

Thanks for this great recommendation.

Seems likely to be some kind allegory and definitely gave me paws for thought.  :)

• Like 1

Dogtooth - I liked it, it seems to be some sort of allegory for how all families are based around a certain type of entrapment and lies, and how we can escape the home, but not the upbringing - or something like that. Whatever, it was bizarre, intense, unsettling and very good.

• Like 1

Watched 'The Gift' the other week. Didn't quite know what to make of it, as you don't feel any real empathy for the two male characters. I wasn't really fussed by the end of the film what happened to either of them because of this. Could have been done much better.

The-Guest-Poster-1.jpg

Finally got round to watching this tonight. I really enjoyed it, though what was that third act all about?!

I think the first two acts were a lot more serious, but then the finale really changed the tone of the film, or maybe it just set it more rigidly. I felt a little cheated at the beginning of the whole last part in the school, but on reflection I think it's a film that's definitely highly stylised and a bit of a tongue-in-cheek nod to many an 80s film. It's like Drive but not quite so serious, a bit more playful.

Either way, after the initial confusion when the final act began, I just went along for the ride and I really did enjoy it for what it was. Just don't take it too seriously.

8/10

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 4

Watched The Interview and Exodus - Gods and Kings this weekend.

Whislt neither were outstanding, both were fairly decent viewing (although a few too many self-appreciating bits in The Interview but some stupidly funny bits too)

Exodus, was nice to look at but didn't make use of what was a decent cast (Sigourney Weaver may as well have sent a body-double!)

Have watched nightcrawler and southpaw this week. really enjoyed both and think gylenhall has really turned into a great actor. Both completely different roles but he's fantastic in both.

All round performances in southpaw were great, typical storyline but the acting really makes it!

I (finally) watched Nightcrawler last night and thought it was very good.  Gyllenhaal completely steals the show though.  As you say, he really has become a very good actor indeed.  It's the little things that make the difference.  The 'natural' things he does in his behaviour.  Looking forward to Southpaw now, more for the performances because, as you say, I'm told it's very formulaic and predictable.

Have watched nightcrawler and southpaw this week. really enjoyed both and think gylenhall has really turned into a great actor. Both completely different roles but he's fantastic in both.

All round performances in southpaw were great, typical storyline but the acting really makes it!

I (finally) watched Nightcrawler last night and thought it was very good. Gyllenhaal completely steals the show though. As you say, he really has become a very good actor indeed. It's the little things that make the difference. The 'natural' things he does in his behaviour. Looking forward to Southpaw now, more for the performances because, as you say, I'm told it's very formulaic and predictable.

He really seems to absorb himself in his roles, makes the world of difference!

The Afflicted.

Very good and original take on a staple from the horror genre. Some genuinely creepy scenes and scares and some of the shots (free running escape chase scene in particular) are amazingly done.

I felt it tried to be a bit too clever towards the end though, went a bit comic book'y and superheroish and lost some of the coolness. Still a decent watch though with a cool twist at the death.

7.5/10

fid14693.jpg

Very good indeed.

I'd feared it might be overly manipulative and cliched, and although it does veer in that direction a few times it's elevated by three fantastic performances from J.Moore, A.Baldwin and (honestly) K.Stewart.

Moore is the highlight though, utterly sublime as Alice and well worthy of the praise.

Southpaw

6/10

Reminded me of the wrestler with that dark tone to it

I found it hard not to watch The Wrestler as a Mickey Rourke biopic.  It was almost billed as that at the time IIRC.  I won't have that trouble with Gyllenhaal :)

Â