The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

going to try watch all the Bonds before SPECTRE is released. Not sure if this was a good idea :P

ditto! By the way, thoughts on the new Bond song!? I think it's awful :(

A bit like everything else to do with Bond then :D

Edited by Designer1

going to try watch all the Bonds before SPECTRE is released. Not sure if this was a good idea :P

ditto! By the way, thoughts on the new Bond song!? I think it's awful :(

A bit like everything else to do with Bond then :D

have to admit, you've left me shaken but not stirred by that comment.

• Like 1

I watched The World's End on Friday.

Didn't really get it. It was alright, but there was no explanation as to why the story was the way it was.
Not that I want it to be realistic. Shaun of the Dead is unrealistic, but the explanation is there. The world is being taken over by zombies. You don't need much more than that.

But, without giving stuff away, for The World's End there's not really an explanation. So I spent the whole film just thinking "what's the point?"

I think it would have been much better if it was just a comedy about a pub crawl between old mates. As soon as the 'other stuff' started happening it lost something for me as well. 

I think the next Bond should be a woman.

A Beautiful woman suducing men into bed with her I can just about believe but no way is she going to be able to jump in an Aston Martin and chase bad guys without  forgetting to take the hand brake  off and it will take her 60 seconds to find her gun in amongst all the lipstick and clutter in her handbag when the bad guy confronts her 

• Like 1

I think as a song it's pretty poor but in the way that traditionally the bond theme song is stripped down and lends itself to the score I think the components are definitely there, I think that's the songs downfall, the bondesque strings are too overpowering right from the off

Jurrasic world .....decent flick but the bloody bromance between the dinosaurs is ridiculous I'm surprised they weren't giving each other a high 5 and opening a 6 pack at the end  bryce dallas howard performance was shockingly bad but I would tongue punch the fart box off her anyday all together a decent flick 5/10 but I hope they just leave it alone now 

I turned it off after 15 mins ....not even alexandra daddario and the mental picture of her jabs from true detective season 1 could make me watch and more of this wet teabag of a film .....I can smell what the rock was cooking with this stinker ,,,,a pile of shite 

44SANANDREAS.jpg

• Like 1

I turned it off after 15 mins ....not even alexandra daddario and the mental picture of her jabs from true detective season 1 could make me watch and more of this wet teabag of a film .....I can smell what the rock was cooking with this stinker ,,,,a pile of shite 

44SANANDREAS.jpg

But ... I liked the absurd Subaru Forester advert in the opening. My ride!

I liked it a great deal & I'm looking forward to the sequels. Part of me would like a bit more dialogue and some more 'world building' but I admire the approach it decided to take.

On Mad Max ...

I trust your taste so much, C.E.D. 

I tried so hard to like this movie, too. From all I'd heard, I thought I'd found my action-movie destiny. All my hipster buddies My two hipster buddies-- people whose tastes are much finer than mine -- adored it. The great critics have hailed it. And last but not least, a lot of very stupid people didn't like it.

And I'm in the last group, it seems. :o I was ... bored. What's wrong with me????? I'm so upset. The only thing I really loved about it unmitigatedly (is this a word?) is all the Australia. Love that place -- I'm an Antipodiphile.

But but but ... to me it just felt like a long late-career Duran Duran video. Take a look, and see if you don't sort of agree ...

Edited by Plastic Man

I liked it a great deal & I'm looking forward to the sequels. Part of me would like a bit more dialogue and some more 'world building' but I admire the approach it decided to take.

On Mad Max ...

I tried so hard to like this movie, too. From all I'd heard, I thought I'd found my action-movie destiny. All my hipster buddies My two hipster buddies-- people whose tastes are much finer than mine -- adored it. The great critics have hailed it. And last but not least, a lot of very stupid people didn't like it.

And I'm in the last group, it seems. :o I was ... bored. What's wrong with me????? I'm so upset. The only thing I really loved about it unmitigatedly (is this a word?) is all the Australia. Love that place -- I'm an Antipodiphile.

But but but ... to me it just felt like a long late-career Duran Duran video. Take a look, and see if you don't sort of agree ...

Pedant but Duran Duran are still going so Wild Boys would in fact be early career (84)

• Like 1

On Mad Max ...

Don't sweat it.

There are only two types of movies: those made for yourself and those made for other people.

• Like 1

It's good because it's like a Duran Duran video.

Haha. That's right. I did a bit of digging, and I see that several Duran Duran vids from that era seem to have been indirectly influenced by Mad Max. They often used an Oz director named Russell Mulcahy, and he was apparently quote into Max. So it's not a crazy coincidence. 

Was never a fan of the original mad max either, so perhaps I'm just not primed for the new movie. I have enjoyed reading all the soaring critical responses to it.

A Most Violent Year ...

This film has been a quiet sensation, a bit of a sleeper, from what I can tell. It's about small-time organized crime in NYC in the early 80s. I found the acting incredible. Great stuff ...

Edited by Plastic Man
  • Like 2

Â