The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

This just in (well, 2013 ... ), Joel Edgerton to play lead role of Linbaba in the awesome Shantaram. Thank the Lord McGrath that Depp didn't cast himself in what must have been a tempting role. I still think Russell Crowe is the ideal Linbaba having read the book.

• Like 1

Avengers age of ultron ................1/10.....pile `o` shite

I'd imagine by this point you kinda know if you're going to like something like this. So why watch it if you know it's going to be a 1/10? Sadism?

I dislike most French cinema, so I don't watch it.

This just in (well, 2013 ... ), Joel Edgerton to play lead role of Linbaba in the awesome Shantaram. Thank the Lord McGrath that Depp didn't cast himself in what must have been a tempting role. I still think Russell Crowe is the ideal Linbaba having read the book.

Always wanted to read that. I do like Joel Edgerton so hopefully he does it justice.

Avengers age of ultron ................1/10.....pile `o` shite

I'd imagine by this point you kinda know if you're going to like something like this. So why watch it if you know it's going to be a 1/10? Sadism?

I dislike most French cinema, so I don't watch it.

No I quite like all types of cinema ....I just gave it 1/10 because it was shite 

Always wanted to read that. I do like Joel Edgerton so hopefully he does it justice.

Honestly, if they somehow manage to do the book justice then it'll be one of the best films ever. It'll also have to be about 4 hours long at a minimum :)

Honestly, if they somehow manage to do the book justice then it'll be one of the best films ever. It'll also have to be about 4 hours long at a minimum

:)

It's my favourite book of all time, so the **** had better do it justice :)

legend_poster-e1435679716368-300x252.jpg

Just back from Legend and have to say i'm massively disappointed.

Disjointed story, tonally very uneven and around half an hour too long.

Hardy's performance was very odd indeed. His Reggie was sublime, very well nuanced and totally believable. In fact the sort of thing we've come to expect from him.

However, the less said about his Ronnie the better. Absolutely laughable (literally), totally OTT with all the sublety of a hammer blow to the back of the head. 

Have to say I much prefer the 'Spandau Ballet' version, even though that wasn't without faults, at least it had the force of Billie Whitelaw's character through it's centre to drive it on and give it a narrative focus. There was also a lack of acting weight around the two main characters in the newer version. It severely needed a Steven Berkoff or Tom Bell. Even though Eccleston and Thewlis are both great actors, they were both woefully underused.

Such a shame, there's a good movie in there somewhere but this was just a letdown.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Legend. I've never seen The Krays and didn't know much about them though so I have no idea how close Tom Hardy's representations of either of them were, but I liked it. At the end of the day it's a film, not a documentary, so there's room for artistic licence.

One thing I really hated about it was the original score though. When they threw in tracks of the time it was great, but the original music was absolutely terrible and didn't get anywhere near the tone of the film. It felt really out of place.

I enjoyed it though, and I love Tom Hardy so. Also, Emily Browning is lovely :wub:

Finally got around to watching Snowpiercer the other day. I thought it was a bit shit. Far too silly and I'm amazed they got some of the big names to act in it. It feels like the sort of crappy film that'd appear on the Syfy channel. What the hell was Tilda Swinton thinking? Her character was laughable, and she's usually a brilliant actor. Very disappointed.

I forgot how bad the dialogue in A New Hope was. Sure, some of it is immensely quotable, but it is **** dreadful for the most part.

And yes, it is made 10x better when you pretend Obi Wan is Jeremy Corbyn.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
you don't need to know why I edited, sir.

I also enjoyed Legend. I think the enjoyment depends on how you view it, if you expect something serious and straight, you'll be disappointed as the film is obsessed with the mythos of the Krays, ticking off stories and rumours and the big events and playing them almost in caricature. You can blame the marketing for that, they have gone for the slightly gritty gangster tale angle mostly and or isn't really that... It almost plays more like a comedy. But I enjoyed it for that. Hardy is very good even if his Ronnie is a parody. He carries the whole thing, everyone else being very much supporting cast to his dual roles. 

The score is distracting, it is too forward and to obvious in it's presence in the film, but I don't think it's bad.

Not the best movie you'll see this year but a fun couple of hours.

I forgot how bad the dialogue in A New Hope was. Sure, some of it is immensely quotable, but it is **** dreadful for the most part.

You forgot? The Star Wars films have some of the worst dialogue you're likely to hear in a film, but it's almost a weird part of their charm. The dialogue in I, II and III was terrible too, as was some of the acting, but that wasn't the main problem with those films.  

Either way, the dialogue isn't what Star Wars is all about really, is it? It wouldn't really feel like Star Wars if it had convincing dialogue ;)

Edited by Ginko

You forgot? The Star Wars films have some of the worst dialogue you're likely to hear in a film, but it's almost a weird part of their charm. The dialogue in I, II and III was terrible too, as was some of the acting, but that wasn't the main problem with those films.  

Either way, the dialogue isn't what Star Wars is all about really, is it? It wouldn't really feel like Star Wars if it had convincing dialogue [emoji6]

#IDontLikeSand

I watched episodes 4-6 again last week. 'A New Hope' remains as good as it seemed when I was a child, but the other two just seemed so crap. What did I ever see in them?

*erects shield, prepares for bombardment from angry fanboys*

Disagree about empire, think it's got the lot, the opening battle on hoth, the twist, that line, lando, the baddies winning

From there though I think the films notably become aimed at a younger market and all about the merchandise, which if we're honest is the reason Disney bought the franchise, really hoping it's not as obvious, starting with BB-8

The start on Hoth is good, Lando is good, I liked the idea of Cloud City. But you have to swallow the monster that lives in an asteroid, the fact that they fly their spaceships right by the Empire when they leave Hoth even though they could clearly just have exited the planet without flying within spitting distance of them, and the bit where Luke crashes his plane approximately 300 yards from Yoda's house (handy!). Actually, I'd forgotten how boring the Yoda bit was, and that's when I turned it off. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â