The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

American Ultra - Had promise but ultimately is just not very good. Last half hour is just tosh.  6/10

Better Living Through Chemistry - I like Sam Rockwell in most films and this was no different. I like little Indie films where I have no prior knowledge of what to expect. He essentially starts off as a boring everyman where his wife wears the trousers but ends up meeting someone else and starts to transform. There's a little bit of American Beauty here and essentially most of the movie is spent following Rockwell on his journey. 8/10 - recommended.

Watched Straight Outta Compton on the weekend, not a bad film however there are massive gaps and a lot of things left out. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would though to be honest.

Creep-2014-200x300.jpg

I watched this on Netflix last night after reading a wealth of positive reviews.

If you like the horror genre then do yourself a favour, don't read anything about it and then watch it.

I thought it was fantastic.

2q86d04.jpg                                               

Edited by Xann

I really don't know what to make of that. Scarlet Johansson just doesn't sound right for that character at all, and a lot of the rest of the cast doesn't quite either. I love Bill Murray but is he Baloo? Christopher Walken as King Louie? Hmm... But it could be great.

Watched Legend, Hardy 10/10, other actors 5/10, story 3/10.  As someone has already said, the Spandau Ballet version was more entertaining and had a much better and more believable cast.  Emily Browning for example came across way too confident and 'together' to play fragile little Frances.

Also just watched Alien vs Predator Reqium (after avoiding it for so long), who knows, it might have been half decent if they'd have remembered to use lights! 

Edited by GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS

Alien vs Predator Requiem is amongst the worst movies I've ever seen. It reduces the Predator to a cleaner (to the extent the Predator in the movie has the semi official name now of 'the Wolf Predator', after the Wolf character in Pulp Fiction, and now Direct Line...) and the movie ends on what I can only think is a metaphor for what the director wanted to do to the entire project by the end.

It even makes the Predalien shit.

Edited by Chindie

Jungle book trailer - to me with Cinderella and Mulan and maybe even dumbo they can work the live action angle but with jungle book that's a Disney film where the songs play a huge part in that films success, I know they tease bear necessities with baloo whistling it but I just don't see the songs fitting anymore which could spoil the film

It is a bit shit how many of them they're doing

Seen all of them.  Think I have found my favourite genre!

It is a great genre.

How about some Pitt epics? Legends of the fall, interview with the vampire, 7 years in Tibet, sleepers, Benjamin Button?

• Like 1

Just back from Everest

ive read various books about that event and the film follows events fairly well but that JG character (Fischer) is kinda peripheral to events gives away the source of the story they are using ... in fact  even Fischers death is kinda limp and unheroic compared to Rob Halls 

having done the base camp trek the film holds some geek value for me , indeed when they land at Lukla airport my mate ( who was also on the trip with me ) and I both said simultaneously " that's not a lukla  " ... I finally became one of those people , there should be a t-shirt or something I get as a reward but nothing was forthcoming maybe I have to apply ?

but back to the film , if you've read the books and seen the documentaries then it won't tell you anything new but the 3-D and the Hollywood treatment make it entertaining viewing ....it's more remarkable as Beck Weathers story is true , if you watched his survival in an action film you'd say meh that's not possible 

I've often thought it must be amazing to climb Everest , the film makes you change your mind some of the climb scenes make you feel a bit queasy in the 3-D.... Maybe that was as much down to the showcase cinema 3D x-plus , I've never seen 3d or even film quality that good ... It's ruined it for me now as i'm going to want to watch every film in this format .. Heck you could even see the hairs in Knightlys nostrils in some scenes ... Though thinking about it maybe you don't want that 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I watched a fair few films lately. I finally got round to watching Rush which I thought was excellent. I really like Daniel Bruhl as an actor, his portrayal of Lauda was very good indeed.

I also got round to Snatch for the first time ever and....I didn't like it. Thought it was a pile of shiesse.

Then last night one of my all time favourite films: the Shawshank Redemption. I could watch the film over and over.

Popcorn Time really is a wonderful programme.

Â