The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 27/01/2023 at 11:17, BOF said:

I read this article about Banshees of Inisherin and it hits on exactly what I was referring to in my post here in a much more eloquent way than I do. It's a bit of a long read, but it's such a complex explanation required for why the film will just sit differently with an Irish audience than it will with those less familiar with what he's calling 'Irishness', which necessitates the reporter going into a bit of history for context. I'm glad it wasn't just me.

More grist to the mill from the Telegraph: 

Why the Irish hate The Banshees of Inisherin

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Paywall.  Hate is strong though. I said the dialogue was a bit off, which it absolutely is. But I don't hate the movie. It's just not the work of absolute genius that it's seemingly being portrayed as.

• Like 2

I’d have to rewatch it again to see how Irish cliche ridden it is, but I didn’t come away thinking there was anything notable. Might have a different view watching it looking for out for them.

It comes across to me that the criticism is more that it’s more a cliched depiction of Ireland/the Irish than anything more sinister or mean spirited. I’d also like to think that the likes of Gleeson & Farrell are big enough individuals and have a strong interest in their work to say “Actually Martin, this little bit here is a bit of a stereotype…” But then I’d be guessing how the dynamics work.

As an aside, interesting that a lot of the criticism I’ve seen is coming from the likes of the torygraph and the heil.

I liked the story, I liked the performances, it was a step up from Seven Psychopaths and Three Billboards. It’s almost a certainty that I’d still think that after a rewatch. If I still enjoy it as much as I enjoy In Bruges 10-15 years after the fact is another matter.

Just back from watching this...

spacer.png

Yeah, if you've seen the buzz around it, and watched the trailer it pretty much does what you expect it to do.

It's not as consistenly funny or OTT as I thought it should be (it does have some very funny moments though) but its certainly an entertaining creature feature.

Great if they get it right. They won't.

New Lord of the Rings movies are on their way

New Lord of the Rings movies are on their way, Warner Bros. Discovery announced in an investor call Thursday.

Details are scant on the timeline or scope of the projects, but Warner Bros. reached a deal with Embracer Group AB, which recently bought the rights to Lord of the Rings movies and games.

This is far from the first foray back to Middle-earth after the massive success of the original Lord of the Rings trilogy: Director Peter Jackson returned for three movies based on The Hobbit. A high-budget television show from Prime Video set in the world of Middle-earth, The Rings of Power, debuted its first season in 2022, but didn’t have access to all of Tolkien’s writing as source material. An animated movie, The War of the Rohirrim, is already slated for 2024.

The move comes amidst many shuffles for Warner Bros. Discovery, following the merger of Warner Bros. and Discovery in 2022 and the appointment of David Zaslav as the company’s CEO. One of their other major franchises, DC Studios, recently had a change at the top, and has a brand new plan of upcoming DC movies.

https://www.polygon.com/23612553/new-lord-rings-movies-lotr

There's good stories to be told in the works of Tolkein that haven't been adapted yet.

They aren't the stories that are in the rights this discusses. Embracer Group bought the rights that allowed the Bakshi and Jackson films to happen, and also the various game adaptations from over the years. Basically this is Warner Bros saying they've struck a deal to use the rights they used to do the Jackson films again. What they can actually do with those licenses, **** knows. They've done the 2 stories they have. Making up new stuff with the material they have will be rough.

13 hours ago, Rodders said:

but why?

I'm looking at LOTR, Potter, Game of thrones and thinking there's definitley the demand out there for that kind of stuff but ignorantly guessing the next book adaptation from that genre has already been done, already been bought or doesn't exist

Who should be up next?

Edit - I don't know enough about it but why isn't there more warhammer / games workshop stuff in film and TV?

Edited by villa4europe

On 08/02/2023 at 12:50, Designer1 said:

spacer.png

Impossible for me to recommend as my reaction when watching was basically...

spacer.png

I can definitely see why its got people talking though.

Where on earth do you start 🤣🤣

Glad to say I have now seen it in some ways,

Your synopsis certainly peaked my interest 

apparently it’s based on a short, so I think I will have to track that down

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I'm looking at LOTR, Potter, Game of thrones and thinking there's definitley the demand out there for that kind of stuff but ignorantly guessing the next book adaptation from that genre has already been done, already been bought or doesn't exist

Who should be up next?

The Dark Tower

On 23/02/2023 at 15:29, mjmooney said:

I loved it. People are professionally offended by everything. We need to find out how we can be victims. It's pathetic when I see Irish people joining in with this culture. We take the piss out of eachother 24/7 and it's water off a ducks back. Everyone I know loved Banshees, because we aren't trying to attention seek online by pretending we're offended. Today you go down to West Cork or Kerry to old man pubs and you see gibberish speaking aul fellas. That's part of Ireland today. 

So it's complete bullshit to say Irish hate Banshees, you get rent a quote from the snowflake generation saying they hate it. Because they need to be professional victims and permanently offended by everything in the world. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Who should be up next?

Edit - I don't know enough about it but why isn't there more warhammer / games workshop stuff in film and TV?

Who next? Pratchett. Pls. I demand good adaptations of the Watch books at least.

Re. Warhammer - it's only reached a big audience in the last 10 years or so. Prior to that the thing was the epitome of the niche teen geek pursuit underground, which wouldn't support the cost you'd need to pump into it to make a film or TV series (and also of course the money goes further these days, with a  fairly small budget producing films you couldn't do 20 years ago, for instance). They apparently are now pursuing a 40k movie/series.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Who next? Pratchett. Pls. I demand good adaptations of the Watch books at least.

Re. Warhammer - it's only reached a big audience in the last 10 years or so. Prior to that the thing was the epitome of the niche teen geek pursuit underground, which wouldn't support the cost you'd need to pump into it to make a film or TV series (and also of course the money goes further these days, with a  fairly small budget producing films you couldn't do 20 years ago, for instance). They apparently are now pursuing a 40k movie/series.

I'm currently re-watching Cosgrove Hall Discworld adaptations. 

Would love to see a great adaptation of the Watch books but it's one of those that no matter how good it is it won't live up to my imagination (a bit like the Sky ones from a while back) and it might be best left alone.

Â