The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

13 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's a shame Ezra Miller is a bellend.

This looks far, far, far better than I'd ever give it a chance of being.

This looks decent and possibly the best DC movie for a while. However can't get past that it seems they basically saw how successful No Way Home was and thought we can do that.

54 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

This looks decent and possibly the best DC movie for a while. However can't get past that it seems they basically saw how successful No Way Home was and thought we can do that.

Flashpoint and multiple Barry Allen's was a thing in the comics far before Spider-Man opened up the Spider-verse.

Yes DC did the multiverse thing first. They also realised quickly that it's a **** nightmare for continuity, so turned resetting the whole thing into an event in itself.

This film has also been in production for (literally) years, they've been through multiple scripts, multiple directors... The only things that seem to be consistent over the time has been Miller, just, and the desire to do something 'Flashpoint-y'. Which isn't a shock because the biggest plot you get with the Flash is Flashpoint.

On 30/01/2023 at 17:36, Mark Albrighton said:

Watched The Swimmer (1968). Burt Lancaster being the titular swimmer.

If you like your surreal, pool based, metaphorical looks at the trials and tribulations of life into middle age, I’d recommend it.

It’s interesting, and at the very least I’m not going to forget it. I can’t think of many things I’ve seen before that’s like it (probably nothing at all).

Always like Lancaster in Local Hero. Good film. 'I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight'.

• Like 2

On 03/02/2023 at 14:08, Designer1 said:

Rewatched this last night for the first time in around 20 years.

spacer.png

It's certainly not lost any of its power. It is a particularly grim piece of work with only the occasional slivers of light and levity, but its absolutely engrossing and the central performance from Brad Davis is superb.

Such a shame that he (Davis) died so young as I can imagine he'd have a good body of work by now.

If you've never seen it, get on it ASAP (it's on Netflix).

Wasn't it written by Oliver Stone? 

Good film if somewhat harrowing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Flashpoint and multiple Barry Allen's was a thing in the comics far before Spider-Man opened up the Spider-verse.

I know Flashpoint has been around for a while and did it a few years before Spiderverse but the timing of the film's release and bringing back Keaton just feels too much like No Way Home.

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's a shame Ezra Miller is a bellend.

This looks far, far, far better than I'd ever give it a chance of being.

1st part of trailer just looks like flash tv show but then it really steps up. Its looks very good.

Suprised affleck is playing batman again. I thought he said he wouldnt play batman again?

Also seems abit confusing when you have the other batman with robert pattison even if thats a reboot.

How can you have a reboot when you have  a existing batman playing batman who is a different actor?

On 28/01/2023 at 10:21, Rodders said:

Re-watched Another Round last night - very hard to watch when you're doing Dry January but still a great film. 

Yeah, watched Another Round last night, really enjoyed it. Mads Mikkelsen and Thomas Bo Larsen in particular were outstanding. I've just recommended it to my mate and his sister - both recently retired high school teachers, and both partial to a drink. Apparently there's going to be an American remake with DiCaprio. I do wish they'd stop doing this. 

• Like 3

On 14/02/2023 at 16:59, Demitri_C said:

How can you have a reboot when you have  a existing batman playing batman who is a different actor?

I really don't like super hero type movies,  now and again is fine but not really my thing at all.  However,  I watch reviews and critiques of films where I wouldn't necessarily watch the actual film (EG Captain Marvel / Ms Marvel).  Just to see what they are about etc. 

On the question of re-boots etc,  from the outside the MCU / DC seem to be in knots and it looks all over the place from a continuity point of view.  

Is the whole thing running out of steam and it actually looks like hard work to (If you are well into these) keep watching each film they produce.  (There are loads of films recently from MCU).

Captain Marvel,  from the outside looking in,  it looks an absolute waste of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I really don't like super hero type movies,  now and again is fine but not really my thing at all.  However,  I watch reviews and critiques of films where I wouldn't necessarily watch the actual film (EG Captain Marvel / Ms Marvel).  Just to see what they are about etc. 

On the question of re-boots etc,  from the outside the MCU / DC seem to be in knots and it looks all over the place from a continuity point of view.  

Is the whole thing running out of steam and it actually looks like hard work to (If you are well into these) keep watching each film they produce.  (There are loads of films recently from MCU).

Captain Marvel,  from the outside looking in,  it looks an absolute waste of time.

What they don't seem to realise or even care is that with all this playing around with universes and time lines and everything else is that they are cheapening what we're watching because ultimately none of it means anything, you can't trust what you see or get emotionally attached to it because it can all be undone

MCU Spoiler

Spoiler

Its the downside of infinity war

Not sure how anyone watched that and believed spiderman was really dead, great scene that it is

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

MCU Spoiler

Spoiler

There is something about adults in a room saying "Yeah and what about if they can do this and this and they can fly but they are a lawyer, scientist but allergic to flowers but do a lot of charity work" or some nonsense.
It's not a character build,  it's like supermarket shopping at a ability store.
Also, I am no expert but Captain Marvel is now the most powerful super hero of all time (Speed of light / go through space ships) ,  what's left after the speed of light ? & the speed of light is of new use in our galaxy anywhere travel wise.

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

My nephew who is fifteen didn't know who Tom Hanks was from pictures. 

I can tell you with absolute certainty he'd know everything about him if he'd been in a Marvel film - it's a strange influence they have.

McMovies.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the McMovies thing (perhaps excluding recent films). I think it does them a dis-service, as they have spanned multiple genres (comedy, heist, espionage, thriller, and whatever the f**k Wandavision was). Actually coming back to Wandavision, like it or hate it, it's ambition was staggering, and at times Olsen's acting was incredible. It's easy to dismiss the MCU films as identikit, but I don't really agree. I have my favourites and least favourites, but even the bad ones were generally watchable. 

• Like 2

I'd like yo believe they serve a purpose, they bring billions in to the industry, maybe the various audios aren't reinvesting that money at a "grassroots" independent level but are actors, directors, crews etc all benefitting from it somehow, I'm sure without them the already dying cinema chains would be long gone

Also believe the blockbuster did and will exist without the MCU, as much as I don't think the 3 MCU films from this year will be good I'd bet my left bollock that theyll be better than transformers and Indiana Jones, this type of film won't disappear with comic books

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

this type of film won't disappear with comic books

I am not sure,   it used to make billions,  I don't think the numbers add up anymore.

The (Costs + Promotion & Advertising)  - box office is,  in 2023 not a lot I suspect,  we will see when the numbers come in for the recent releases.  Yes it might be like Romcoms and have a place in cinema for ever,  it might also go the way of Westerns.   There are only so many trains to hold up and people to shoot with a solid story to  hold it up.

It has to be worth it in pure money terms or they will drop it in a second and never look back.

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am not sure,   it used to make billions,  I don't think the numbers add up anymore.

The (Costs + Promotion & Advertising)  - box office is,  in 2023 not a lot I suspect,  we will see when the numbers come in for the recent releases.  Yes it might be like Romcoms and have a place in cinema for ever,  it might also go the way of Westerns.   There are only so many trains to hold up and people to shoot with a solid story to  hold it up.

It has to be worth it in pure money terms or they will drop it in a second and never look back.

I mean that comic book films will end eventually but the summer blockbuster won't end with them

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Is this industry having problems now with sales or stories,  it should , in theory be doing amazing due to the films ? 

Dunno, Chindie probably will but I'd guess that the films must be leading to a boom in comics

I think they also reinvented themselves a little along with new characters and stories lining things up to get around other film studios owning characters rather than them

• Like 1

Â