The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

11 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Is that the one with Antonio Banderas? Cracking film and thank you for reminding me of it because I’m going to watch it again

It is indeed. Really enjoyable and you never hear anything about it these days 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theunderstudy said:

It is indeed. Really enjoyable and you never hear anything about it these days 

I remember watching this with event horizon back to back one Saturday night on DVD in the late 90s. Both were cracking films

I watched The Mitchells vs The Machines (Netflix) with my son yesterday. Now, I’m probably a bit of a sucker for the animated family adventure, but this one was really, really good. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I remember watching this with event horizon back to back one Saturday night on DVD in the late 90s. Both were cracking films

Ah I never much cared for Event Horizon. It had a few good moments but felt like a missed opportunity for me 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Ah I never much cared for Event Horizon. It had a few good moments but felt like a missed opportunity for me 

Not seen that since then either, be interesting to see how well it has aged. I get your point though it could’ve been a lot more but the atmosphere spot on

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

I watched The Mitchells vs The Machines (Netflix) with my son yesterday. Now, I’m probably a bit of a sucker for the animated family adventure, but this one was really, really good. 

Watched that on Friday night and loved it. Very funny and clever. 

Spoiler

Dog GIF

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Not seen that since then either, be interesting to see how well it has aged.

Laughably badly unfortunately. I rewatched it last year after having fond memories of seeing it at the cinema on release. 

It's atrocious, and yet funnily enough it's still the best thing PWSA has ever directed 😄

• Like 1

After a couple of failed attempts I’ve finally watched “Barry Lyndon”.

Definitely one that you have to be in the mood for, but I can see why it’s revered and disliked. I’m much closer to the former.

Can’t add anything that hasn’t been said a thousand times already. It’s basically the definition of a slow burn, visually it’s perfect, like a moving painting in places. The cast are great too. So many interesting supporting characters that come and go who I would have happily seen more of. 

Definitely not for everyone. But recommended.

• Like 3

I watched the Mauritanian last night, and it was pretty tedious.

It's a really important story, and I think I'll read his memoirs at some point, but the film was fairly unquestioning (it mentions the main character taking phone calls from Bin Laden and never actually dives in to...despite the horrific acts of the US, was he guilty..?), but the pacing is also just way off. The big reveal happens across several minutes with intermittant shots of the characters reading through files. I think they really struggled with the balance of showing the investigative side while making it interesting.

I was particularly underwhelmed by the single scene in an actual court room, which was the accused giving an impassioned speech about freedom, trust in the police, and American justice, and absolutely no cross-examination or mentions of evidence. 

Tahar Ramin puts in an excellent performance though.

The first film isn't terrible, but it's not great either. This seems to be leaning into the goofier parts of that film, which is probably the thing that made the first film stand out, but isn't for everyone.

• Like 2

Stephen Graham! 

That's me sold...my problems with the first film were mainly due to the cynicism of why does it exist? Who wants that film? Where does it sit within marvel let alone spiderman? Because the answer was it doesn't it always felt like Sony trying to use something it had left to cash in on marvels success, the 2nd problem was it wasted Riz Ahmed, it had the usual villain issues 

• Like 2

Stephen Graham! 

That's me sold...my problems with the first film were mainly due to the cynicism of why does it exist? Who wants that film? Where does it sit within marvel let alone spiderman? Because the answer was it doesn't it always felt like Sony trying to use something it had left to cash in on marvels success, the 2nd problem was it wasted Riz Ahmed, it had the usual villain issues 

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

The first film isn't terrible, but it's not great either. This seems to be leaning into the goofier parts of that film, which is probably the thing that made the first film stand out, but isn't for everyone.

The first film is easily one of the most tonally uneven movies I've seen, and yet I really enjoyed it.

Cautiously optimistic from the trailer.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2021 at 19:34, theunderstudy said:

A film I haven't watched for years and years I stumbled across on Disney+....

The 13th Warrior.

Good film and near the bottom of McTiernan's best. If he doesn't run into the legal trouble he does what other classics does he bestow on the world...

Also forgot one of the best/most clever transitions with the language change when he starts learning from them 

one of them underrated movies that have a bad reputation. Highly entertaining

I watched Jungle the other night, true story about a traveller that gets lost in the Bolivian Amazon. It sounded interesting as they’d described it as a harrowing psychological thriller... 

It was pretty rubbish really. The story is interesting but the acting not good. Daniel Radcliffe’s accent changed from American, to Hispanic, to some form of attempted Israeli, every few minutes. I just couldn’t take to him at all. I’ll be honest and say that’s the first time I’ve ever watched a film with him in, and I’ll not be rushing to seek out any more. 

17 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I watched Jungle the other night, true story about a traveller that gets lost in the Bolivian Amazon. It sounded interesting as they’d described it as a harrowing psychological thriller... 

It was pretty rubbish really. The story is interesting but the acting not good. Daniel Radcliffe’s accent changed from American, to Hispanic, to some form of attempted Israeli, every few minutes. I just couldn’t take to him at all. I’ll be honest and say that’s the first time I’ve ever watched a film with him in, and I’ll not be rushing to seek out any more. 

I enjoyed that one actually even though it had it's issues - as for Radcliffe, he's chosen some really interesting and challenging roles since leaving the HP world so fair play to him for that.

Thought he was excellent in Pretoria, Kill Your Darlings, Imperium and Woman in Black.

• Like 2

Terrible actor, not even fit for the Harry Potter role which he almost singlehandedly ruined. Can almost forgive that as they just picked some kids and they weren’t all going to end up as talented as Emma Watson, but I have no idea how Radcliffe still gets work.

Â