The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

On 28/07/2020 at 12:21, villakram said:

Planet of the Apes (1968): The simple pleasure a movie not blasting one with computer generated special effects and wacky music. That ending still nails it.

Watched the rest of these... yay covid <_< 

Not too bad at all, modulo number 3, which is incredibly meh. Some good commentary on race relations and class structure, it's the kind of thing that current society could do with paying attention to. The humans in suits really do an excellent job. All nice and short 90min affairs too, something modern movies really need to get back to doing on a regular basis.

Spoiler

Apes II: I guess Heston must have been on the booze or had a contractual dispute as they fly a new astronaut in. Mostly meh, but really sad to see poor Nova killed (the power of silent character is really interesting), at least everyone else (spoiler: -3) dies shortly thereafter. The nuclear worshipping crowd are like a planet straight out of a star trek episode. There is no way 3 more movies are coming after this ending!

Apes III: pah... it turns out that 3 apes did manage to rescue and launch the crashed vessel from the original and now find themselves in 1971. This is very much the definition of a filler episode, with the goal of providing a means to finish the circle after maguffining it into existence, i.e., generate a baby intelligent monkey on present day Earth.

Apes IV: It's now 1991 and after all the cats (yay!) and dogs (boo) died in 1984, humans are back to their evil doing slavery best. Caesar is having none of this and so the rebellion begins. Much less of the silly US military nonsense than the remakes and quite enjoyable.

Apes V: Not sure when, likely late 90s, so much like Terminator, we love to go nuclear in 1997 or so. Humanity is destroyed and the big deal is the interaction between the now dominate Apes and the humans including an evil bunch from the city. Caesar is good and wise, the military Gorillas less so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

Best ending 

Best scene/s (Bruce Lee + The end bit with Boon and his Dog)

Best character (Cliff Boon) 

Best sound track

It’s his best film and nobody that puts Robinson’s jam on a cheese sandwich is going to tell me otherwise :P

Pulp Fiction > most films ever. Very much including OUATIH

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Been watching clips of Pulp Fiction on Youtube. 

Wonderful film. Tarantino at his best. 

One of my all time favourites.

And I'm not shitting on OUATIH. It was a great film (although I think a knowledge of the manson family is an absolute pre-requisite.)

But it's not a path on Pulp Fiction. In fact I don't think it would trouble my top 3 Tarantino movies.

• Like 1

There's no way that Once Upon a Time is Tarantino's best, or even up there. It is quite a different film to most of his others in many respects, and I did enjoy it a lot, but doesn't rank up there for me.

I watched The Platform / El Hoyo on Netflix last night. Really enjoyed it - great film. Interesting social commentary.

7 minutes ago, useless said:

This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's a symbol of my individuality, and my belief... in personal freedom.

One of my favourite lines from any film. 

• Thanks 1

Kudos to @wazzap24 for just launching a #hottake like that with no justification - I love it! - but sadly it's not right. His best film is Jackie Brown, and the fact that he doesn't appear on screen any time during it is probably not completely irrelevant to that. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is comfortably top half though.

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Pulp Fiction > most films ever. Very much including OUATIH

19 hours ago, Xela said:

Been watching clips of Pulp Fiction on Youtube. 

Wonderful film. Tarantino at his best. 

Watching clips is probably how most people watch Pulp Fiction, and probably the best way, because it allows you to enjoy the note-perfect-wouldn't-change-a-second Travolta/Jackson (& Thurman) (& Roth) scenes, without having to watch the aged-horribly scenes of Ving Rhames being raped or Tarantino 'edgily' using the n-word over and over again.

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Kudos to @wazzap24 for just launching a #hottake like that with no justification - I love it! - but sadly it's not right. His best film is Jackie Brown, and the fact that he doesn't appear on screen any time during it is probably not completely irrelevant to that. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood is comfortably top half though.

Watching clips is probably how most people watch Pulp Fiction, and probably the best way, because it allows you to enjoy the note-perfect-wouldn't-change-a-second Travolta/Jackson (& Thurman) (& Roth) scenes, without having to watch the aged-horribly scenes of Ving Rhames being raped or Tarantino 'edgily' using the n-word over and over again.

Nah, it's all gold

@HanoiVillan I object to the without justification comment! :)

It’s all the best things about Tarantino’s films in one place. Like a greatest hits collection, but without the wanky MOR, unit shifting, singles. 

It’s not just his best, it’s his best by a decent margin too 

• Like 1

1. Pulp Fiction

2. Reservoir Dogs

3. Jackie Brown

4. Kill Bill 1

5. Django Unchained

6. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

7. Inglourious Basterds

8. Kill Bill 2

9. Death Proof

Haven't seen Hateful 8 which kind of nullifies my list.

Tbf I like some of his non directorial screen plays more than some of his films.  Natural Born Killers, True Romance and Dusk til Dawn would all feature mid table or above in that list for me.

• Like 1

When I'm bored and late night channel hopping , only film of his that gets the might as well watch this viewing is Inglorious bastards  ... the rest just get a skip to the next channel ...tbf I did enjoy reservoir Dogs when I watched it on release , just not sure its worth repeat viewing

I did record Once upon a time to see if it was as meh as I remember it being in the cinema , but haven't got around to watching it yet  , which is probably telling in itself

Â