Pre-match thread - not a cup final!

I think an early goal here and we can really open the floodgates against them. Lets go full tilt, Watkins, Bailey and Diaby to score and a 3-0 advantage for the away leg. 

The Olympiakos fan I spoke to in Athens a couple of weeks ago was really hoping they got through to play Villa, not because he thought they could beat us but because we are the best team left in it. Slightly different mindset to me who just wanted the weakest teams at every opportunity 😂

The home match should be quite an occasion - really hoping we can get some kind of lead to take into the 2nd leg.

Expect it to be a close match though and think both teams will score. UTV!

Edited by Brumstopdogs

olson

Cash konsa pau digne

SJM Tim Luiz Rogers

Diaby Watkins 

hoping to give Baile'ys knee a rest, otherwise swap Bailey and Diaby.  i think they will play a low block and am tempted to go to three at the back and three forwards but I don't think Emery will do that.  Sit back and hit them on the counter first, so then they have to press a bit more and leave more space for our forwards, SJM, Luiz, and Rogers to push forward later.  That seems to be more our preferred style right now.

3-1 and I'll be happy enough.

Posted (edited)
On 28/04/2024 at 05:33, ferguson1 said:

Alternatively, tried and trusted formation:

……………...…….Olsen…………………..

Cash…..Konsa……Pau…..Digne

………….McGinn……..Luiz……….

Bailey..….….Rogers……..Diaby

………………..…Watkins….……………..

This, please. Great thinking there. It will allow for these nice trapezoids we do. Gives us some flexibility yet control moving forward but also a good press.

………….McGinn……..Luiz……….

………….McGinn……..Luiz……….

………….McGinn……..Luiz……….

………….McGinn……..Luiz……….

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 3

Due to the defensiveness weakness with Martinez and Tielemans missing best to go all out attack here and use our attacking strengths to pin Olympiakos back as much as possible. Any 2 or 3 goal lead would be absolutely fantastic. 

• Like 2

A decent Mail article, because the contributor is external.

Full article in link. Truncated key direct quotes below.

"We're on our fourth manager, our third sporting director. In the last two seasons, we have made at least 60 transfers, players going in and out. It's been a revolving door.

"After [3 failures], in comes Jose Luis Mendilibar. The turnaround has just been exceptional from him. He's never managed outside of Spain before. He obviously won the Europa League with Sevilla last season. But he's just turned the club around completely.

"The danger men - Daniel Podence. He's been excellent for Olympiacos since he's returned from Wolves this season. He can just create something out of nothing. He can go missing at times in games when they kind of nullify his kind of creativity.

"Kostas Fortounis, the best Greek player of his generation, in my opinion, and a lot of others too. He's the talisman. The captain. He can create something out of nothing. He scored an amazing goal out of nothing against Fenerbahce. He did the same thing against West Ham in our game and we beat them."

Our striker, El Kaabi, 23 goals this season in all competitions. He's had an excellent season, particularly in Europe. And it's going to be tough to stop him because he can just appear out of nowhere and score an important goal for us when we need it.

"I think as a prediction, I'm going to be, I'm normally quite pessimistic. I just say that we lose in the hope that we'd actually win so that my, so that my kind of my expectations are exceeded. But I think I'll say a draw. I'll say 1-1 at Villa Park and we take it back to Greece where I can't tell you how quickly that game sold out. Honestly, it was absolutely wildfire the way it sold out."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Managed to sneak a posh seat for this, as a friend of a friend dropped out. Can't wait, mainly for the atmosphere as the away fans weren't allowed in at the last one I went to...

I assume Greek fans are mental, yet well-behaved?

On 30/04/2024 at 12:28, villa89 said:

Not as tough as Lille though. 

I think in the rankings of teams Lille were second after us, and then Fiorentina, and then Olympiakos… to be fair I think Ajax are higher in the coefficient rankings than all the other teams

• Like 1

We really need to go gung - ho tomorrow. Take any unnecessary pressure off Olsen. I really think we can put this itie to bed with the right approach. I'll go with a 3 - 0 victory and an Ollie double. 

Come on me Babbys!