Pre-match thread - Cup Final 5 of 10

ender4

I'm completely unmoved by this today. We're weakened, we're not playing that well, Arsenal are in a title fight. I hope we don't disgrace ourselves but even then I'm not expecting anything so if it comes to pass, oh well. 

It does feel like we're coming across the finishing line this season skidding arse backwards and on fire.

13 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I saw Isak say post-match that Howe had tweaked thing s so they went man to man out of possession to stifle Spurs's pace. I wonder if we'll do similar at the Emirates?

I'm going out on a limb to say, No, we won't.

12 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Little hope of any points today, sadly, so play the B team and focus on the other remaining matches this season.

Yeah, worked so well vs Brentford... we don't want to get a thumping, 4th could come down to GD! 

• Like 3

I think this could very well be one of our biggest defeats of the season, which won't be nice of course, but whatever happens it won't have been the worst weekend for us in terms of our challenge to get fourth, just by virtue of the fact that Newcastle beat Spurs, which means even if we lose today we will be in the same position relative to Spurs as we would be if both we and them had won this weekend

Fancy Villa to get something today if Emery doesn’t rest players and if Konsa plays in the middle.

Konsa offers much more at CB than at FB!

People setting themselves up for disappointment if they can't accept Arsenal are very likely to beat us, what they've done in past seasons doesn't mean anything, this season in the here and now they can go top of the league with a win today and have only lost once at home all season, they're also playing a team with three of it's starting midfielders, Ramsey, Kamara, and Luiz, injured or suspended

Think we will lose today isn't being particularly negative, Arsenal would be favorites against most teams, if not all at home, and even more so if they team they were playing had the kind of injuries we have

But as above Newcastle beating Spurs means defeat today won't be too damaging to our season as an whole, in fact whatever happens today league table won't look as bad as many might have imagined before the weekend, we can still get fourth because our other games won't be anywhere near as tough as today, the Lille game coming so soon is a good thing too, so we can quickly move on, and then we have a very winnable game next weekend against Bournemouth

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zak said:

If I know anything, it's go against what Villatalk think/say

Screenshot_20240414-150425.thumb.png.6cecc06f62a297be278c0ba1e7a99367.png

£45?? I can just about understand people putting a hopeful fiver on it but that’s a decent wedge of money!

I've just looked at Arsenal's form, they've won ten of the last eleven, the only team they dropped points to in that time is Manchester City, and even that was a very respectable away draw. So that makes the task even more daunting, although when I see runs like that it does make me wonder if the team in question is due a bad result

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

can not feel any confidence about this game whatsoever.

I think our midfield will be over run and we will most definitely be on the back foot for most of the game.

I'm not going to watch this one. Going to the pub to sink a few beers with my mate who is sadly a spuds fan, which will be strange as he'll want us to do well....

I’ll be avoiding it too, although the fact my pc has had a brainfart is a factor.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

On this day in 1981 Sir Ronald of Saunders uttered the immortal words...

"I think so, d'you wanna bet against us?"

Believe.

I don't think he was referring to us beating Arsenal, or if he was, he got it wrong.

There's more pressure on Arsenal than us today. We'll see if they've got the mentality to go all the way for the title. We're at the stage of the season where you can see the end in sight, and for Arsenal that means the title.

• Like 1