Pre-match thread - Cup Final 5 of 10

ender4

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think there's a case for five at the back, Duran and Watkins up top and hitting long balls - without Kamara, Ramsey and Luiz we're going to be really struggling in midfield and we might have to make the game about something else.

Haven't we usually been terrible when Emery has tried 5 at the back?   Do we even have 5 defenders fit to play 5 at the back?

• Like 1

Sounds like Cash and Lenglet will be back in the squad for this, which is a real boost. Whether either are fit enough to start remains to be seen but it’s encouraging news.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Sounds like Cash and Lenglet will be back in the squad for this, which is a real boost. Whether either are fit enough to start remains to be seen but it’s encouraging news.

That would be great news.  

Digne - Pau - Konsa - Cash 

• Like 2

I think we will require another Emi masterclass to get anything from this tbh, even if they rest a few they will still field a really strong side and our defence a lot of problems.

I wonder if we will go stronger than we might have now, due do the disappointing coefficient results last night?! Issue is we are so stretched with the squad that we can't make wholesale changes even if we wanted to. Probably just about managing players best we can.

Depending on fitness levels, I'd go;

Martinez 

Cash       Konsa      Lenglet     Moreno 

McGinn     Tim      Tielemans    Rogers 

Diaby         Watkins 

Start strong and see how it's going first 45, if we're getting blown away, start replacing a few with Lille on the horizon.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Haven't we usually been terrible when Emery has tried 5 at the back?   Do we even have 5 defenders fit to play 5 at the back?

I'm not sure, I think we have - I guess the problem is that we are going to struggle to find two midfielders to play in the pivot - perhaps Iroegbunam and McGinn, but our squad at the moment isn't suitable for the ways in which I feel the manager would like to play - so he'll need to find ways to play that suit what he has - just at the moment, life has given Unai lemons, he's pretty good at making something tasty out of them. We'll see.

Really not sure I can bear to watch this, haven't felt this pessimistic about a game since UE took over.

Please don't get me wrong though, even if we lose 7-0, we are still in absolute dreamland compared to where we were when he first arrived and I'm loving it!

Edited by wedge

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t think Tim is anywhere near ready. He was really poor against City and even struggled last night when he came on. 

Big future ahead of him, but right now he’s miles off it

Nah he’s not ready to be a starter I agree. Thought he was decent against a tough city midfiel though.

I think we have a 1% chance of a win, a 10% chance of a draw but most likely a routine win for Arsenal. 

If we had all full squad available we could have given them a game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Same team that started at man City, hopefully we can keep it tighter for longer ( I would swap Konsa for Carlos and give kesler and chance, nothing to lose tbh)

7 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Sorry boys, this'll be a loss, our defence won't manage. Saka cheating masterclass.

Sorry had to edit...

I agree, also think this could be a heavy defeat....Villa just look tired and depleted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Same team that started at man City, hopefully we can keep it tighter for longer ( I would swap Konsa for Carlos and give kesler and chance, nothing to lose tbh)

Absolutely no way!

We can get something here. Go full strength and pick up a 2-2 draw. 

We may need to finish 4th as 5th is too dicey. 

15 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Start strong and see how it's going first 45, if we're getting blown away, start replacing a few with Lille on the horizon.

This is what I’ve been thinking too. My only concern is if we actually do ok for 75 mins (so don’t make early subs), run our strongest line up into the ground and then concede late goal(s) anyway we’ll have knackered our best team ahead of the Lille game for nothing. 

Reality though, I can’t see anything but a comfortable win for Arsenal. They were very good against us at VP but we held on for the win, now we’re much weaker and they’re stronger. Hopefully they rotate a bit.

• Like 1