Pre-match thread - Cup Final 5 of 10

ender4

5 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Anyone confident of getting anything from the game?

Not really, 2 day rest when they have 4 and our squads on its knees with injuries and Doug being out, a difficult game to play against Lille. If Spurs get a result away away to Newcastle then it may change things but I can't see it tbh, difficult game for them. 

4 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Absolutely no way!

We can get something here. Go full strength and pick up a 2-2 draw. 

We may need to finish 4th as 5th is too dicey. 

I can't see the difference between this and the Man City game, I would sacrifice this game,  get some of the fringe players experience and leave ourselves fresher for the Lille game, we have a much better chance there than at Arsenal with a 2 day rest to their 4.

• Like 1

I’m changing my mind about how to approach this game regularly. I’ve landed on if spurs drop points v Newcastle then we have to go big v Arsenal. 

Then let’s patch ourselves up and go full force v Lille. If we try and don’t make it then fair enough but if we throw in the towel v Arsenal and don’t make it to champions league we’ll be kicking ourselves. 

• Like 1

Worry about Lille next week. There’s go there with the intent we can get something. Yes they are a better team and we are away but let’s go there and try and hurt them. Spurs have a tough game today. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Worry about Lille next week. There’s go there with the intent we can get something. Yes they are a better team and we are away but let’s go there and try and hurt them. Spurs have a tough game today. 

I almost think that late goal was a blessing in disguise. We have to go there and play now. You've got to assume that they likely score atleast 2. 

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

I almost think that late goal was a blessing in disguise. We have to go there and play now. You've got to assume that they likely score atleast 2. 

Definitely mate . Both teams will score it’s just a matter of who gets the most , but we do have an advantage being 1 up already. People go on about their home crowd, well we’ve played a few tricky away games already this season so we have nothing to fear. 

• Like 1

Think we'll lose this match by a couple of goals.

Given our lack of midfielders perhaps Emery will mix the team selection up a bit and we might see a return of 5 at the back.

Regardless - as long as we give it our best there is not much more we can do. UTV!

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

This is what I’ve been thinking too. My only concern is if we actually do ok for 75 mins (so don’t make early subs), run our strongest line up into the ground and then concede late goal(s) anyway we’ll have knackered our best team ahead of the Lille game for nothing. 

Reality though, I can’t see anything but a comfortable win for Arsenal. They were very good against us at VP but we held on for the win, now we’re much weaker and they’re stronger. Hopefully they rotate a bit.

I know what you mean, it's a difficult one knowing which way to approach it, such a shame we've had all these injuries and the suspensions haven't helped either. 

If we really wanted to "throw it" and rest players..  

Olsen

KKH  Chambers  Lenglet   Moreno

Zaniolo  Tim   Tielemans     Rogers 

Diaby        Duran 

Emi, Cash, Konsa, Carlos, Torres, Digne, Bailey, Luiz, McGinn all rested!

But that side would probably lose by 5! 

9 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Absolutely no way!

We can get something here. Go full strength and pick up a 2-2 draw. 

We may need to finish 4th as 5th is too dicey. 

We ain't got a full strength team.

All depends on whether Emery prioritises Arsenal or Lille. To be honest I'd rather the latter, I do think we can get a draw if we are on top of our game and have the right lineup though. Easier said than done of course, they have become a very good side under Arteta.

8 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Of course . Why shouldn’t we?  

Because we are playing a team who are much better than us, who have less injuries, a bigger squad, are fighting for the title, are at home and have had more rest time. 

A draw would be an unexpected surprise. 

Edited by villa89

Not sure if Emery is considering resting some players here

It is a free hit at we need players fresh for Lille 

12 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Because we are playing a team who are much better than us, who have less injuries, a bigger squad, are fighting for the title, are at home and have had more rest time. 

A draw would be an unexpected surprise. 

I get we need to be realistic but I find it amusing how we get downplayed by our own fans sometimes . We’ll still have a good team down there tomorrow which is capable of getting something . We’ve beat them once this season and they are only 11 points in front of us, and let’s be honest the gap should be smaller . 

4 minutes ago, tinker said:

He's showed his hand with man City, spurs losing will further enforce his decision to rest players.

I’m not sure. He’s said all season that the league is the priority. Given the coefficient let us down this week, I think he’ll want to try as hard as possible for 4th and throw everything at Arsenal who may be rotating ahead of Bayern.