Pre-match thread - Cup Final 2 of 10

wedge

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

we only have 1 win 9 against these since promotion in the PL, havent we? (W 1, D 3, L 5)?

The win was Dec 2020 (1-0)

At 0-0 in that game Emi made an amazing save from ironically Dendoncker IIRC. Probably one of the best in his time here and there are plenty to choose from.

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I believe so. Very nervous about it. We seem to bottle it against them every time

My ManUnited mate is always praising the shit out of Villa before we play -- I wish he would stop that crap!

On 28/03/2024 at 20:05, GingerCollins29 said:

I think unai will play:

Emi

Konsa.    Lenglet.       Torres.      Moreno

Doug.       Youri

Leon.                                        Zaniolo

Moussa.     Ollie

Hard to second guess what team Urai will pick. He's likely to spring one or two surprises. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Anyone in Bewdley know which pubs show sky? I'm staying near catchems end

@limpid I'm sure you're Bewdley aren't you? Cheers 

It'll be on if you head into town. The Waggon and Horses (probably your local) used to be a doghead owned pub. They've wrapped the pub a few times when they've had "success"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Mrs T had made plans a couple of weeks ago, that we are going to the outlaws for a curry and beers at 6.30. They have a shite signal where they live, so will be bloody difficult to keep up with the game. Hopefully we are 4 up by then

Mrs T needs training, in being married to a Villa Fan.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2024 at 12:01, fightoffyour said:

Not quite "must win", but if we don't then we'll need something against City instead.

But these are shite so 6-0 Villa.

won 6 of their last 10 games....er not shite.

I'll take 1-0

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The crowd will be well up for this local grudge match and probably a bit emotional about the Sid Cowans situation. Woofs players might go into a shell, especially if we score early. I think we can batter them, honestly. 

5-0 to the Villa, but I'll take 1-0 on an own goal in stoppage time. Spurs are highly unlikely to drop points at home vs Luton, and we'll know the result before we kick off. 

Every single league game from here on in will be fraught with tension, especially if we concede first. We have to be aggressive from minute one and I hope Emery doesn't try to be too cute and clever. Stick to what has made us such a formidable team this season. We need to try to channel the spirit and application we showed vs Man City the rest of the season. Tall order, I know, especially with tired legs. But the players must suffer if they are to achieve rewards for their work beyond a salary. They have to strengthen their collective mentality and see this campaign out with a CL spot the glorious prize that is within their grasp.

Up the Villa!

• Like 3

**** hate this lot. Ridiculous how we can beat teams like Brighton, Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle with semi-regularity but these pricks we've beaten like twice in Premier League in the last 15+ years. Hell in that time period we've got more wins against Man United and just as many against Man City in the PL, and they are two notorious bogey teams.

Edited by Mantis

Very nervous and excited about this game. Hopefully Ollie gets a goal to put the international break behind him. A goal from Diaby or Ramsey would also be perfect. As long as we don’t concede from a set piece we should have enough. 

Dawson being out for Wolves might turn out to be crucial as he appears to be a fairly influential player for them.

Expecting goals in this game in what is a massive game for both teams given league positions. 

We’re gonna smash them out of the park and send them back to custard bowl land minus their fangs and claw. 

They might be hungry like the wolf, but they will be ravished by the rampant lion. 

No need for  cock pics to the mother-in-law this time

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'd be nice to score a few in this one - Zaniolo's goal against West Ham means we've now scored one more than in 1981-82.

We've got 87 goals this season and the hundred is definitely on - I think (fairly sure) this is now our 4th highest scoring season since (the rather arbitrary year of) 1971-72.

In that time, we've broken 100 three times:

• 100 goals in 1971-72
  • 105 goals in 1976-77
  • 120 goals in 1974-75

It'd be nice to think that with at least eleven (and hopefully fourteen) games to go, we might get beyond that hundred mark again for the first time since any of our squad were born.

I’m a child of the 80s so I don’t know for sure, but wouldn’t those goals in the 70s be part of a longer season too? And maybe the 82 season?