Pre-match thread - Cup Final 2 of 10

wedge

With cash out looks like konsa back to rb. I dont think emery would pick this but would like to see it

Martinez

Konsa         Carlos            Pau            Digne

Bailey           Tim               Luiz            Diaby

Tielemans      Watkins

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is very much a Must win for me. With Spurs at home to Luton earlier on in the day and us going to the Emptihad midweek, we need maximum points and a morale boost here. Very tough with all our absences, Wolves have a few missing too, but I worry they could dominate in the middle.

Its just going to have to be one of those ‘ by hook or crook ‘ - just please get the job done.

Nervy 2-1 win. Bailey and Dougie

• Like 1

I have no doubt in my mind, that Villa, despite injuries, have the ability to win this one.

but will we have the workrate, intensity, urgency or determination....call it what you will.... to do that.

can we dig deep?....

will we "go after" Wolves, and create/ force errors, and challenge their confidence.....will we win the initiative?

I am unsure.....all on the day.

• Confused 1

If Ramsey is back and assuming Tim hasn’t shone in training the team picks itself:

Martinez 

Konsa.      Carlos           Pau          Digne 

Tielemans    Luiz 

Diaby.     Ramsey 

Bailey     Watkins 

Very attacking but realistically we don’t have any other option. If Ramsey’s not fit then we swap for Zaniolo or Tim. 

And maybe a soupçon of derby pride? I don't really view games against Wolves that way, but get the feeling they do, and find an extra 10% from somewhere against us. Maybe a bit of that to get us the points (no suspensions or injuries either though please!)

Posted (edited)

Think my team would be

Emi
Konsa - Carlos - Pau - Moreno

Bailey - Youri - Luiz - Ramsey

Diaby - Watkins

I prefer Youri playing off the striker but I don't think Tim should start this game. 

Edited by PieFacE

6 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

With cash out looks like konsa back to rb. I dont think emery would pick this but would like to see it

Martinez

Konsa         Carlos            Pau            Digne

Bailey           Tim               Luiz            Diaby

Tielemans      Watkins

Yes that is what I'd like to see aswell. Only other selection would be Moreno starting with Konsa the other side.

The basic principle is this though. After many months of hibernation Diaby is stringing together some good moments and general performances, he needs to start. Bailey obviously needs to continue starting in must win home games. Going back to three centrally will give us hopefully more control and less ground for Tielemans to cover so he's got more energy to pick out those final third passes.

That's a team that would push Wolves back a fair bit rather than gambling on Duran or Zaniolo to come up with something.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

I have no doubt in my mind, that Villa, despite injuries, have the ability to win this one.

but will we have the workrate, intensity, urgency or determination....call it what you will.... to do that.

can we dig deep?....

will we "go after" Wolves, and create/ force errors, and challenge their confidence.....will we win the initiative?

I am unsure.....all on the day.

You're making it sound like we've been playing like 15/16 recently. We have 56 points for a reason as we're as strong in most areas if not better than Spurs and Man. United. That includes the key values like "workrate" "intensity" "urgency". I saw all that at Fulham which was a very good win when you think how comfortably they turned over Spurs in the end. Also needed to show guts at Luton to win that given how badly the second half went.

We're a good team, the issue is UE dosen't want to alter our tactical framework too much given the success of the last 18 months so that means recently players who aren't quite ready yet like Rogers are getting more minutes than they really should.

I hope he just sees Wolves as more a game we need to be on the front foot on from the first minute rather than feel our way into the match as that's been a real problem in our home games at VP so far in 2024.

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Not quite "must win", but if we don't then we'll need something against City instead.

But these are shite so 6-0 Villa.

It’s absolutely the definition of a must win. If we don’t win tomorrow then we fully open the door for Spurs and give Man Utd another sniff of fifth. 

If we don't win it will mean we will have taken just one or two points from Spurs, West Ham, and Wolves, which will have been pretty poor and not good enough for a team challenging top four, especially with two of them being home games. And won't do much good for our momentum going forward, as not beating anyone half decent at Villa Park will start to look like an habit after recently losing there to Chelsa, Man Utd, Spurs, and Newcastle, if we lose will also mean Wolves will have taken more points than us in 2024 whilst playing a game less, our form this year hasn't actually been that great compared to other teams, two more points than Brighton, three more than Newcastle but they've played a game less, the same amount of points as Fulham, even Chelsea averaging more points per game this year than us, we need to win this one, otherwise our recent form will start to catch up with us.

Edited by useless

35 minutes ago, useless said:

If we don't win it will mean we will have taken just one or two points from Spurs, West Ham, and Wolves, which will have been pretty poor and not good enough for a team challenging top four, especially with two of them being home games. And won't do much good for our momentum going forward, as not beating anyone half decent at Villa Park will start to look like an habit after recently losing there to Chelsa, Man Utd, Spurs, and Newcastle, if we lose will also mean Wolves will have taken more points than us in 2024 whilst playing a game less, our form this year hasn't actually been that great compared to other teams, two more points than Brighton, three more than Newcastle but they've played a game less, the same amount of points as Fulham, even Chelsea averaging more points per game this year than us, we need to win this one, otherwise our recent form will start to catch up with us.

Here’s the table

IMG_0181.thumb.jpeg.0fa7d779e9124ad01c4326d9e43728b4.jpeg

Only Cash and McGinn as regulars out. Only question would be if Unai lets Tim play CM or we go again with Tielemans.

Emi

Konsa Diego Pau Moreno

Bailey Tielemans Luiz JJ

Diaby Watkins

• Like 1