Pre-match thread - Cup Final 2 of 10

wedge

I've given the usual suspects long enough to start this thread!

Just under a fortnight to wait, and as much as it pains me to say it - a bit like our loveable jibber jabber handball-misunderstanding friends from the Olympic Village that we faced on Sunday -  if you look at our recent record against Wolves it does not make for brilliant reading, time to put that right on Easter Saturday under the lights at VP in front of a well-oiled and vociferous crowd.

I genuinely think we'll win this reasonably comfortably, 3-1 or maybe even 3-0 if we are awake for the dreaded 46-50th period where we seemingly always concede.

I was going to say Gary O'Neil already started the mind games (remember the spat he had with the Don at the end of the match in October?) but ultimately he's right when he said we'll have all of Watkins, Diaby, Zaniolo, Bailey, Tielemans to choose from whereas they will have loads of kids on the bench.

I'll never understand why our record against these freaks is so bad - other than the 4-1 a few years back we've been very poor against them, even when they've been shite. I wanna see us absolutely rip them to shreds when we play next.

Our record against them hasn't been good and they've improved - they're a good side, with ambitions for their season, they're very much in the race for a European place and we need to take them very, very seriously.

In terms of the way they play, they like to sit and break and that's something we'll need to be mindful of but they're not the threat West Ham were from set pieces though which will be a welcome relief. 

I think we can get at them, we'll need to keep the ball well and try to control things and defend smartly - they are the kind of side that a great plan can beat and we have a man capable of finding a great plan.

If we're at our best, at home we can win, we'll need to be at our very best though - I think there are a lot of people still thinking of Wolves as a Brentford or a Palace, when this season they're a Newcastle or a Brighton.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I genuinely think we'll win this reasonably comfortably, 3-1 or maybe even 3-0 if we are awake for the dreaded 46-50th period where we seemingly always concede.

I was going to say Gary O'Neil already started the mind games (remember the spat he had with the Don at the end of the match in October?) but ultimately he's right when he said we'll have all of Watkins, Diaby, Zaniolo, Bailey, Tielemans to choose from whereas they will have loads of kids on the bench.

Who have they likely got missing for this?

41 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Neto and Hee-Chan definitely out which is a huge boost, Cunha will only just be coming back so may not be fully fit either.

• Like 1

Think we will try and exploit the space in behind their left wing back Ait-Nouri who is very attacking.  Our right-side attack is probably our strongest area so Diaby and Baily overload on the right could be really effective. 

Edited by duke313

9 hours ago, turvontour said:

The two forwards mentioned below. Cunha probably make it but might not lost 90 minutes. Dawson out for last few weeks and Bellegarde went off after 11 minutes in their last league match.

8 hours ago, duke313 said:

Think we will try and exploit the space in behind their left wing back Ait-Nouri who is very attacking.  Our right-side attack is probably our strongest area so Diaby and Baily overload on the right could be really effective. 

Due to all the injuries they've actually been playing Ait Nouri as a support striker behind Sarabia I think. That probably changes with Cunha returning.

He had a really good game at VP last season so probably one they'll sell this summer although he does have injury issues like Neto.

Huge game this. We need to be 100% at it. 

Emi

Cash Konsa Pau Digne

Diaby Tielemans Luiz Ramsey

Bailey Watkins

Moreno, Zaniolo, Duran to come off the bench. 

With tougher games coming up you could argue this is a must win at home. This will be a very tough game against a manager who has shown himself to be very good tactically. 

On 19/03/2024 at 23:16, T-Dog said:

I'll never understand why our record against these freaks is so bad - other than the 4-1 a few years back we've been very poor against them, even when they've been shite. I wanna see us absolutely rip them to shreds when we play next.

I always do.

Custard coloured gap-minding cabbages.

• Haha 1

One solitary league win in 9 attempts since promotion, and that was a 1-0 from a 90th minute penalty scored by Anwar El Ghazi. We can't start relying on other sides slipping up. We're home, so hopefully it won't be on the back foot which has started to creep into our game of late.