Pre-match thread - Cup Final 2 of 10

wedge

No Dawson, Neto or Hwang for this one. Cunha will either be on the bench or not fit to play 90 minutes here. We should really be beating these with those out as they are big losses to them. 

Don’t expect it to be pretty but think we will control the game for large parts, go 2-0 up and concede a sloppy set piece goal to give them hope as we just don’t keep clean sheets these days. 

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

**** hate this lot. Ridiculous how we can beat teams like Brighton, Spurs, Chelsea and Newcastle with semi-regularity but these pricks we've beaten like twice in Premier League in the last 15+ years. Hell in that time period we've got more wins against Man United and just as many against Man City in the PL, and they are two notorious bogey teams.

That’s actually nuts when you think about it. We are so due a win against these.

A new Villa bus from New Street to Birmingham starts today for fans. £5 return. 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2024/march/28/New-express-city-centre-shuttle-buses-set-to-launch-on-matchdays/?sc_src=email_5709204&sc_lid=571397305&sc_uid=teJc9pr3Mp&sc_llid=7601&sc_customer=ddc71e91-8f12-403d-b848-bd596f230a31

Aston Villa is delighted to introduce a new city centre shuttle bus service, helping supporters to travel more easily and efficiently to and from Villa Park on matchdays.

With a nod to the club’s finest hour and our 1982 European Cup victory, the ‘AV82’ service will start on Saturday 30th March for our home Premier League fixture against Wolves. The service will run on a trial basis for all other men’s home matches until the end of the 2023/24 season, covering all Premier League and UEFA Europa Conference League fixtures.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m a child of the 80s so I don’t know for sure, but wouldn’t those goals in the 70s be part of a longer season too? And maybe the 82 season?

Correct, 42 games

No Hwang or Neto for them, Cunha not 100%, and no Dawson at the back who whilst a bang average footballer is physical and stops us playing. Honestly if we don't win today we deserve nothing. 

• Like 2

Unai has got the last two league games wrong with his approach, playing a back 5 against Spurs was bizarre really, and then starting both Rogers and Duran against West Ham (one maybe, not both of them) and going 4-4-2 was again bizarre. I'm not sure if he's been overthinking it but neither times did it work. 

There's a debate to be had today about how we set up. Tielemans was excellent for Belgium against England and needs to be deployed higher up the pitch, not in the holding role, but Zaniolo and Diaby are both pushing for starts and at least one of them needs to play today. I think Lenglet RCB looked totally uncomfortable against West Ham too and probably a game for Carlos. I'd also have Digne in from the start and bring Moreno on later on. Ramsey sounds 50/50, probably one to bring on in 2nd half as we don't want to risk him from the start getting injured again. I'm leaning towards playing Tim although much will depend if Emery trusts him to start him such a game. I just feel he might free up our attacking players more and allow Luiz to push up more which would cause all sorts of problems for Wolves' defence. 

I'd probably go:

Martinez

Konsa Carlos Torres Digne 

Luiz Tim

Bailey Tielemans Diaby/Zaniolo

Watkins

Subs: Olsen, Chambers, Lenglet, Moreno, KKH, Ramsey, Rogers, Diaby/Zaniolo, Duran

Martinez

Konsa      Carlos       Pau      Moreno

Tielemans         Luiz              

Bailey                               Ramsey 

Diaby       Watkins            

Subs:  Olsen, KKH, Digne, Lenglet, Iroegbunam, Chambers, Rogers, Zaniolo, Duran

Moreno starts purely because of Konsa on the right. Get an hour out of Ramsey if possible? 

Key injuries and suspensions on both sides but we should have the extra quality going forward. 2-1 win.   UTV

• Like 1

This feels huge in the context of our season. Wish McGinn was playing. Hope we come out like we did against Brighton - control the game and just **** go for it!

2 hours ago, Leeroy said:

No Hwang or Neto for them, Cunha not 100%, and no Dawson at the back who whilst a bang average footballer is physical and stops us playing. Honestly if we don't win today we deserve nothing. 

Yep.

1 hour ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

Proper up for this one now... Really think the boys will rise to the occasion.

🤞

opposing teams give you nothing....we have to take it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

Home and away fans, that'll be a hoot afterwards

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I'm pretty sure we'll win. 

Ah, relief! I'll forego the emotional roller coaster of following the game in that case and simply tune in to MOTD later for the promised glory.

• Haha 1