Pre-match thread - Cup Final 2 of 10

wedge

On 25/03/2024 at 13:49, turvontour said:

It isnt the end of the world but the problem with that result is that we are starting to normalise non top 4 level form. That's no wins in 3 games going to Man City next. So pretty likely no wins in 4. 

We'd also have a very real worsening issue with home form which we need to restore for the rest of the season. 

Yes to get top 4 I think we need to win at least 3 of the 5 home games left, perhaps even four of them which basically means all of them apart from Liverpool which is a big ask but possible.

We know the issues Wolves give us every season but ultimately we are at home and they are missing half their team. We should be winning this reasonably comfortably.

Key to this week is just beating Wolves and Brentford. Don't really care so much about Man. City away as we haven't got the midfield structure to nullify them like at VP with SJM and Kamara out.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2024 at 15:31, StefanAVFC said:

It's not with the context of knowing other results, but as we play before Spurs, a win is a must IMO. It really puts the pressure on them being 6 behind.

Spurs are at 3pm aren't they? They beat Luton by any score and we'll be 5th for the first time since maybe November? So interesting how we react to that.

We are however playing before Man. United. Beat Wolves and we go 12 points clear so I don't care how many games in hand they have. Trying to overturn a 12 point advantage at this late stage of the season psychologically feels impossible to me so on that alone it's a must win.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs are at 3pm aren't they? They beat Luton by any score and we'll be 5th for the first time since maybe November? So interesting how we react to that.

We are however playing before Man. United. Beat Wolves and we go 12 points clear so I don't care how many games in hand they have. Trying to overturn a 12 point advantage at this late stage of the season psychologically feels impossible to me so on that alone it's a must win.

Sorry right you are, was confused with United.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Looks like Cunha is ‘back on the grass’. Not sure if it means he’s available or not. 

Will get him out there for an hour. He was great cutting in from the left against Chelsea so think we'll just put Konsa there to park him.

Think Moreno on the other side given the lack of Neto as we badly need to get on the front foot in this. Ramsey being available would be good aswell even if it's just from the bench.

I think a problem last season was Unai just showed them far too much respect because of Lopetegui and so we got bogged down too much tactically (and conceded early in both).

The point earlier this season was a good result imo as they had won v Man. City a week before.

I'm expecting to win this game.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We were 5th after we lost to Man United at home

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Looks like Cunha is ‘back on the grass’. Not sure if it means he’s available or not. 

Hopefully he's still on a come down by kick off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank McGrath we're home. We've had some nice rests for some, but not for others. I hope the travel doesn't affect Luiz too much. But then it'll likely affect Gomes too. Hopefully Cunha is still out.

We really need to win this. I'm kinda confident we can eek out a narrow home win.1-0 or 2-1.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BOF said:

Thank McGrath we're home. We've had some nice rests for some, but not for others. I hope the travel doesn't affect Luiz too much. But then it'll likely affect Gomes too. Hopefully Cunha is still out.

We really need to win this. I'm kinda confident we can eek out a narrow home win.1-0 or 2-1.

Hopefully as they played in Europe it won't be too bad. 

2 hours ago, BOF said:

We really need to win this. I'm kinda confident we can eke out a narrow home win.1-0 or 2-1.

Brazil only played in England and Spain, Luiz didn’t get that many minutes. He should be pretty fresh.

Edited by WallisFrizz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It feels like Villa haven't played in two months!

This is the 3rd longest gap between Villa games this season :) 13 days. So yeah, it feels bloody long (kw.gif)

• Haha 1

I actually think we’ll do a proper job here and win convincingly… I’m going 3-1… I don’t think we’ll keep a clean sheet though that seems to be very elusive lately.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I'd buy you all a pint for a Villa clean sheet

Who is “all”?😜