villa89

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It's simply, not the point....are you saying teams who score a lot, concede a lot?...........errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr No. 

It depends where your ambitions lie?

A ton of goals?.....2 more than Newcastle in 8th....4 more than Spurs.

Our offensive play is commendable,  and praise worthy, that is not the issue here, but if you think it can cover for questionable defending, I suggest you have low expectations of where we want to go. Unai Emery's ambitions have NOT Plateaued out, they have just got going.....hence my observations....and my acceptance of WIP.

There will be games where the attackers will not be able to bail us out......I think, its then unfair to look to them, in every game, to bring home the bacon.

Fergie once said....."Goals win games, defences win trophies".....that is my point.

It depends what you want?..Midtable, then your point would then be valid.

We have a great goalkeeper, he deserves more protection, not have to rely on him as much as we do.

Midtable? We are generally about the 2nd to 4th best team in the Premier league over the last year or so scoring and conceding the goals we do. Why are you saying that I want midtable?

My take is that we play the way we do, with the players we do, to score more goals than we concede. And this gets us up in and around the champions league qualification places.

What your saying is that if we concede fewer goals we would be better still, which is fairly obvious. If we'd conceded 10 fewer goals this season we would be top of the league right now. Great.

• Like 1

We should win no sweat, any kind of win will do, but would be nice to get our biggest ever away win with Ramsey, Rogers, and Diaby scoring, again doesn't really matter who scores, but would be a good confident boost for Ramsey and Diaby, and would be good for Rogers just to get his first, would like to see Watkins get an hat-trick as well, put that twenty league goals or more target well in his sights

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'll take a scruffy one-nil. These aren't a pushover.

Only one team has beaten them at home by more than one.

They're always in the game.

Good listen/watch.

Luton fan made the point that their pitch is " tighter " so we probably won't be able to be as comfortable and expansive in possession as we would liked and that they are good at set pieces.

I've seen us actually change playing style and be more direct against certain opposition sporadically in the past though 

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

My take is that we play the way we do, with the players we do, to score more goals than we concede. And this gets us up in and around the champions league qualification places.

In fairness this whole discussion about us needing to concede fewer goals is a load of BS. In any individual game you need to score more goals than you concede to win and the more times you can do that the higher up the table you'll be. 

This whole discussion bewilders me though as we have in comparison to the other 20 sides we are competing with the 5th best defensive record in the league (conceded 35) only bettered by the top 3 and the team that currently sits 15th (conceded 34) and I doubt any of us would want to have conceded one less goal but be 11 places worse off.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

The last 5 seasons the 4th placed team has conceded, respectively.......33-40-36-54-39....after 38 games, average 40.....sure it's only one set of criteria, but it's an important one.

It is interesting that you have posted this mate but I think you have made a big omission. 

The team that finished 3rd in the last 5 seasons conceded 43, 33, 42, 36, 39. So in two of the 5 seasons you quoted twice the team in 3rd conceded more goals than the team that finished 4th and on one occasion the team in 3rd/4th conceded the same amount of goals. In fact in 2 of the last 5 seasons the team that finished 2nd conceded more goals than the team that finished 4th.

Bottom line is that to win any individual game you need to score more than you concede. You then get consistent at doing that you are going to find yourself up near the top of the league. We have been really consistent for 18 months under Emery at doing just that and we are reaping some great rewards and playing some cracking football. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Good listen/watch.

Luton fan made the point that their pitch is " tighter " so we probably won't be able to be as comfortable and expansive in possession as we would liked and that they are good at set pieces.

I've seen us actually change playing style and be more direct against certain opposition sporadically in the past though 

What do you prefer Rodney, Grass or AstroTurf? 

Dunno... I've never smoked AstroTurf before :D

13 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Many people seem to be extremely confident of winning.

Always worries me.

Same it’s one of those on paper wins that we so often slip up on.

we really need to keep that 5 point gap going into the Spurs game as that will be a hard game to get 3 points from.

13 hours ago, turvontour said:

Midtable? We are generally about the 2nd to 4th best team in the Premier league over the last year or so scoring and conceding the goals we do. Why are you saying that I want midtable?

What your saying is that if we concede fewer goals we would be better still, which is fairly obvious. If we'd conceded 10 fewer goals this season we would be top of the league right now. Great.

I was asking, not telling.

My whole observation was geared around, how we can improve.....If you notice, I haven't mentioned goal scoring, because I think we have it pretty well nailed down.

I feel, there is some fairly obvious area's we can improve, in our own area......yes that could, elevate us even further up the league.....The very place, the manager wants to take us.

Fewer goals would be ideal, but stopping the simple goals would be nifty too....you say it's fairly obvious, it is when its mentioned, but very few mention it, while we are scoring...and that's my point.

I am referencing both boxes in a game, not just one.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

In fairness this whole discussion about us needing to concede fewer goals is a load of BS. In any individual game you need to score more goals than you concede to win and the more times you can do that the higher up the table you'll be. 

This whole discussion bewilders me though as we have in comparison to the other 20 sides we are competing with the 5th best defensive record in the league (conceded 35) only bettered by the top 3 and the team that currently sits 15th (conceded 34) and I doubt any of us would want to have conceded one less goal but be 11 places worse off.

It is interesting that you have posted this mate but I think you have made a big omission. 

The team that finished 3rd in the last 5 seasons conceded 43, 33, 42, 36, 39. So in two of the 5 seasons you quoted twice the team in 3rd conceded more goals than the team that finished 4th and on one occasion the team in 3rd/4th conceded the same amount of goals. In fact in 2 of the last 5 seasons the team that finished 2nd conceded more goals than the team that finished 4th.

Bottom line is that to win any individual game you need to score more than you concede. You then get consistent at doing that you are going to find yourself up near the top of the league. We have been really consistent for 18 months under Emery at doing just that and we are reaping some great rewards and playing some cracking football. 

Mark....your reference is no surprise......of course the goal scoring records are significant.....I did actually say " its only one set of criteria".......

The reason I didn't mention the goal scoring is because IMO its very good.....I am specifically talking and focusing on where we can do better.

I would not think for one second, that Unai is sitting there with his feet up, wallowing in what he has done so far......He will be working on how we can avoid giving away avoidable goals....and just to be sure, I am not referring to well crafted goals from the opposition, we all concede them, even the top 3.

I am not commenting, in a manner to use a stick to beat us with.....far from it.....just pointing out area's we could do better.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Mark....your reference is no surprise......of course the goal scoring records are significant.....I did actually say " its only one set of criteria".......

The reason I didn't mention the goal scoring is because IMO its very good.....I am specifically talking and focusing on where we can do better.

I would not think for one second, that Unai is sitting there with his feet up, wallowing in what he has done so far......He will be working on how we can avoid giving away avoidable goals....and just to be sure, I am not referring to well crafted goals from the opposition, we all concede them, even the top 3.

I am not commenting, in a manner to use a stick to beat us with.....far from it.....just pointing out area's we could do better.

We really have missed Mings for this side of things. I'd have expected him to cut out a signficant number of the set-piece goals.  He is just so good at blocking and clearing headers and we don't have that skillset in the replacements (however good they have been at times). Let's really pray he comes back as good as he was last season. With his defence and Pau's offensive contribution we would be challenging up at the top.

• Like 1

They've only not scored in 4 league games this season - which I don't think many were expecting.  Instead of this hard working defensive unit, they're quick, physical and attacking.  They press well (something we've struggled with previously) and will undoubtedly cause problems.

You'd hope our attacking prowess is too much for them, but this is a real potential banana skin.

With fingers firmly crossed, I'm going Luton 2-4 Villa.