villa89

On 27/02/2024 at 11:52, MWARLEY2 said:

They will score.  So will we. 

They will throw balls into the box . Emi will claim send the ball forward quickly and we will score a few. They have to go for it. A game set up for our strengths and theirs . 

Do you think, he will claim them all?

Will they go more for a low block, after last nights mauling?

Edited by TRO

21 hours ago, Nigel said:

Elijah Adebayo has a ridiculous stat that he has the best goal conversion rate in Europe...which makes more sense when you take his average goal is scored from 4 yards.

He must just sit in the 6 yard box!

It's easy, if you don't get marked.....The better teams, mark up.

On 26/02/2024 at 16:40, TRO said:

I think, we are all aware, of our Achilles at set pieces.

I also think, Austin McPhee is hamstrung, by having our beacon in the box, out injured.

Trying to avoid, conceding corners might be a tactic, worth pursuing.

Aerial Balls do concern me, without Mings.

Luton have attempted the most crosses out of anyone in league, their left back Doughty loves a whipped cross.  Will be interesting to see if Cash will start or if Konsa is deemed match fit will he start at RB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Luton have attempted the most crosses out of anyone in league, their left back Doughty loves a whipped cross.  Will be interesting to see if Cash will start or if Konsa is deemed match fit will he start at RB.

I think, it's fairly obvious, when you study our game, where we will concede....and it follows, that teams will try to exploit it.

My worry is, with out Mings, we don't have the personnel, to deal with it.....so it doesn't matter, who we play at the back, there is no stand out ( Martin Laursen) to turn to, in the 25 man squad.

Personally, excluding Mings, we may miss the injured defenders, in other aspects,  but I am not convinced it matters so much in the air...outside of Mings, we simply don't have aerially dominant centre backs....so games like this, we could be vulnerable...and to compound the issue, we are not proficient at cutting out crosses, either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think, it's fairly obvious, when you study our game, where we will concede....and it follows, that teams will try to exploit it.

My worry is, with out Mings, we don't have the personnel, to deal with it.....so it doesn't matter, who we play at the back, there is no stand out ( Martin Laursen) to turn to, in the 25 man squad.

Personally, excluding Mings, we may miss the injured defenders, in other aspects,  but I am not convinced it matters so much in the air...outside of Mings, we simply don't have aerially dominant centre backs....so games like this, we could be vulnerable...and to compound the issue, we are not proficient at cutting out crosses, either.

I think we'll be fine.  We may concede from a cross or two, but it they leave the space in defense like they did last night against City, we'll carve them open repeatedly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, duke313 said:

I think we'll be fine.  We may concede from a cross or two, but it they leave the space in defense like they did last night against City, we'll carve them open repeatedly.

That's my thought. We might concede a couple but we could score 5 or 6. Anyway I assume Emery has done his homework and if Konsa is back we should be able to handle it better.

Not sure if Konsa and Pau are both fit to start, but if they are my team would be:

……………..….Martinez…………………..

Konsa…..Lenglet…..Pau…..Digne

……….…….McGinn…..Luiz…………….

Bailey…….Tielemans…...Ramsey

…………………..Watkins…………………..

Subs: Gauci, Cash, Chambers, Moreno, Iroegbunam, Rogers, Zaniolo, Diaby, Duran

Think Digne comes back in for this one with Moreno playing against Ajax. Not a huge fan of playing Konsa at right back (if he’s fit to start) but think we might need extra height for this one and I think Lenglet has been playing well enough to keep his place. I’d probably bring Cash in for spurs and put Konsa to centre back.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2024 at 16:31, BOF said:

Match officials for GW27

Referee: Michael Oliver.
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Dan Cook.
Fourth official: Matthew Donohue.
VAR: Peter Bankes.
Assistant VAR: Mark Scholes.

Quite surprised that this will be Oliver's first Villa league game of the season.

the stats don't bode too well with him in charge 🙄

No matter who starts and who is on the bench we are looking stronger all of  a sudden

Watkins         Diaby

Duran             Zaniolo 

Ramsey         Luiz      McGinn     Bailey

Rogers          Tim      tielemans

Digne             Pau      Konsa       Cash

Moreno        Lenglet                    Kesler 

Emi

Gauci  

1 hour ago, imavillan said:

the stats don't bode too well with him in charge 🙄

We were shit for most of that though. Our results under him have been fairly commensurate with our level at the time. Once he's fair, we'll be ok. Only concern would be his love of Newcastle. 

• Like 2

On 26/02/2024 at 17:18, Pongo Waring said:

Marvelous Nakamba masterclass

I haven't seen him playing for them recently so assume he's on the injury list.

Was a lovely moment at VP when he got a standing ovation after being subbed.

I think we'll edge this 1-2.

On 27/02/2024 at 21:21, Ceemo said:

Luton are very open to through balls with no protection in midfield.

Lokonga is massive for them. Went off injured at half-time at Anfield, and they just weren't the same after. With no Nakamba either, they don't have a defensive midfielder in the team.

I thought that watching them earlier this season and also v Man. United recently. 

They play like Burnley used to do v Dyche, pretty open in midfield to run through and then they constantly throw themselves at shots to block as soon as you reach the box.

Need to be getting Ramsey and Bailey to drift in whenever we counter and they'll be plenty of space on the overlap for Cash and probably Moreno (think Digne will start in Amsterdam).

14 hours ago, TRO said:

Do you think, he will claim them all?

Will they go more for a low block, after last nights mauling?

Absolutely not TRO ! . But if they can get the better of us at times with a direct approach then we can get the better of them on the transition when their attacks break down or when Emi does mske a huge claim. In my mind he is the best since Schmeichel at it. 

Should be an exciting game but one i am still confident we can win if we can get Konsa and Pau back on the pitch. 

When they came to VP and served up their worst performance of the season with a totally benign block the scene was set for them to come at us in this game. Add in the Everton points reduction reduction lol , and you can pretty much guarantee they cannot sit there all game. 

I like Rob Edwards, but watching him having a laugh with Pep when losing 4 1 in midweek made me realise they still arent 100 percent competitive. They don't have the siege mentality yet.

They have won 3 drawn 2 and lost 8 at home this season. Which at least suggests that their strentgths arent maybe as strong as at first imagined.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TRO said:

This is where 2 styles challenge each other.....this is where lower league teams win in cup games over their better opponents.

" If we don't compete......We get beat"

This is where " work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard enough".....this will be epitomised in this game.....We have to be quickest to the ball, and not second.

This will be the defining factor of 4th playing 18th......They are 18th for a reason, as you say, and while they have moments of talent, it's not consistent enough to be higher in the league.

Their talent won't beat us on Saturday, no chance......but their workrate, desire and application might.....if we are not "prepared"

If we apply ourselves, like we can, we will secure the 3 points.....complacency is our biggest threat, here.

Ps High balls in to our box, will be their best chance.

Agree with you mate, I think our poor losses to lower table opposition this season have had a hint of "it will just happen for us" about them.

We need to meet them toe to toe for desire and work rate from the very first whistle... Not after they score, not after 30 minutes and not in the second half after a piss poor first half.

Their talent won't beat us, it will be desire + work rate, if we don't match them we are going to be in for a very difficult match.

We need show a ruthlessness that belies a top 4 team not resting on their laurels content with their achievements this far.

3 points, anything less will be disappointing.

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Agree with you mate, I think our poor losses to lower table opposition this season have had a hint of "it will just happen for us" about them.

We need to meet them toe to toe for desire and work rate from the very first whistle... Not after they score, not after 30 minutes and not in the second half after a piss poor first half.

Their talent won't beat us, it will be desire + work rate, if we don't match them we are going to be in for a very difficult match.

We need show a ruthlessness that belies a top 4 team not resting on their laurels content with their achievements this far.

3 points, anything less will be disappointing.

Not sure which defeats to lower table opposition you are referring to but we've only lost to a bottom half team once all season, at Nottingham Forest in November.

We've won away at Fulham, Burnley, Sheffield United, Brentford and Chelsea and drawn away at Everton and Bournemouth.

So our record when playing away to bottom half teams is 5 wins, two draws, and one defeat. Our home record against bottom half teams is 6 wins and one draw. Total: 11 wins, three draws, one defeat.

I agree we need to be mindful of their physicality and work rate but the bit in bold is simply not true, we have consistently beaten the bottom half teams all season. 

Think this game is going to be a tough one. Luton have got acclimatised to the premier league, had some good performances.

Think it will be a tight game, should nick it 2-1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Not sure which defeats to lower table opposition you are referring to but we've only lost to a bottom half team once all season, at Nottingham Forest in November.

We've won away at Fulham, Burnley, Sheffield United, Brentford and Chelsea and drawn away at Everton and Bournemouth.

So our record when playing away to bottom half teams is 5 wins, two draws, and one defeat. Our home record against bottom half teams is 6 wins and one draw. Total: 11 wins, three draws, one defeat.

I agree we need to be mindful of their physicality and work rate but the bit in bold is simply not true, we have consistently beaten the bottom half teams all season. 

Yes you are right, I believe we may have scraped results despite poor performances, I swear I remember playing Sheffield United and we were poor but maybe we got the result.

Everton in the league cup was one that I was thinking of but obviously confused...

And Man U are a pretty crap team 😂

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

Our form has been on an upward curve for a few games now and I don't see the players capitulating at Luton, they can taste top 4 now, are well into their stride and will be giving their all. Bailey to bag a couple I think.

6 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Absolutely not TRO ! . But if they can get the better of us at times with a direct approach then we can get the better of them on the transition when their attacks break down or when Emi does mske a huge claim. In my mind he is the best since Schmeichel at it. 

Should be an exciting game but one i am still confident we can win if we can get Konsa and Pau back on the pitch. 

When they came to VP and served up their worst performance of the season with a totally benign block the scene was set for them to come at us in this game. Add in the Everton points reduction reduction lol , and you can pretty much guarantee they cannot sit there all game. 

I like Rob Edwards, but watching him having a laugh with Pep when losing 4 1 in midweek made me realise they still arent 100 percent competitive. They don't have the siege mentality yet.

They have won 3 drawn 2 and lost 8 at home this season. Which at least suggests that their strentgths arent maybe as strong as at first imagined.  

Is that not pretty demoralising for them though? Seeing their direct rivals awarded points back. Theyve given so much effort this season. Luton need two or three really really good games to make up 4 points. And then they're just on par with how the table looked previously compared to Everton.

In the Sheff U away pre match thread I said they are demoralised and others were saying they will be bang up for it. Hopefully it's another case of this.

Edited by turvontour

47 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yes you are right, I believe we may have scraped results despite poor performances, I swear I remember playing Sheffield United and we were poor but maybe we got the result.

Everton in the league cup was one that I was thinking of but obviously confused...

And Man U are a pretty crap team 😂

Yeah a couple of bad performances but generally we've been good against teams we SHOULD beat. Top half it was very good too until recently when we lost those games against Newcastle and Man Utd.

I think we'll beat Luton but we'll probably concede again from a set piece as we always seem to do. Would be nice to keep a clean sheet though. 

• Like 1