• Tielemans
    • Watkins
    • Chambers (Torres 45)
    • Digne (Moreno 58)
    • Zaniolo (Tielemans 80)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/02/24 at 23:59

Great game going forward, Watkins,  Bailey, Ramsey and Doug are really unstoppable at times, Superb.

Corners, still a worry, we look vulnerable to high balls we get nowhere near them...free headers

One concern is we still seem to be chasing games even when we are ahead, we don't seem to be able to slow games down and end up pushing forward to try and score more, this leads to us losing the ball and offering the opposition possession and a chance to counter. It might be the opposition but it seems more likely that we are nervous about giving games away (after previous experiences) so we try and score a hat full.

It's a small thing when we win games but it's hell to watch as a fan and this adds to the tension and pressure on the team, to me its a clear weakness in our character. Hopefully more experience will give us that strength.

Great game though,  UTV.

28 minutes ago, tinker said:

Great game going forward, Watkins,  Bailey, Ramsey and Doug are really unstoppable at times, Superb.

Corners, still a worry, we look vulnerable to high balls we get nowhere near them...free headers

One concern is we still seem to be chasing games even when we are ahead, we don't seem to be able to slow games down and end up pushing forward to try and score more, this leads to us losing the ball and offering the opposition possession and a chance to counter. It might be the opposition but it seems more likely that we are nervous about giving games away (after previous experiences) so we try and score a hat full.

It's a small thing when we win games but it's hell to watch as a fan and this adds to the tension and pressure on the team, to me its a clear weakness in our character. Hopefully more experience will give us that strength.

Great game though,  UTV.

I have to disagree.  We used to bottle it regularly, and although we don't control every minute and teams do score against us, we show so much mental strength under Emery.  We lose that game today under most managers I can remember given where we are in the table / season imo

• Like 4

Other than the silly goal conceding before half time and the 10-15 minute spell in the second half we controlled the game and deserved winners. Torres injury didn't help, hope it's not a bad one. Lenglet and Chambers is probably about our 3rd choice pairing so willing to give them some slack. They still have 18 international caps between them.  Bailey enjoyed himself today, the progression from his previous flakey performances is night and day. Ramsey is slowly getting back to form and McGinn and Watkins do so much for the team its unreal. 

Overall a solid win despite a slight wobble and it was hilarious to hear that Fulham got a 97th-minute winner at Old Trafford. And the match finished in daylight. A good day.

4 hours ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

What a day for us after the United result.

But Pau a big ass scare, praying.🤲 

He was stretching his thigh first half so wasn’t surprised he didn’t come out for 2nd half but it didn’t seem to much to worry about

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Bailey has as many goals as Foden. Luiz has more goals than Jota. Watkins has more goals than Saka and Son. 

Let that sink in.  

Villa going under the radar. Let’s keep surprising

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Adman said:

I have to disagree.  We used to bottle it regularly, and although we don't control every minute and teams do score against us, we show so much mental strength under Emery.  We lose that game today under most managers I can remember given where we are in the table / season imo

Comparing us with villa teams of the past then I agree, I was looking at teams that challenge for the title, City , Arsenal and Liverpool,  that's where we need to be imo. I'm taking nothing away from how much we have improved,  its next to unbelievable tbh......but to get better we need to control games, especially when we are ahead.

17 minutes ago, Bosnichs Muller corner said:

Just want to say fair play to Chambers for that second half performance. Probably thought he'd be gone before he played for us again but put a great effort in to his performance. 

good point and also worth mentioning that it’s is first game in, well, ages and he would not have expected to play. So a very professional performance under the circumstances. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, tinker said:

Comparing us with villa teams of the past then I agree, I was looking at teams that challenge for the title, City , Arsenal and Liverpool,  that's where we need to be imo. I'm taking nothing away from how much we have improved,  its next to unbelievable tbh......but to get better we need to control games, especially when we are ahead.

With so many injuries and the squad we have it's a miracle we are 4th. When we win the league in 81 we only used 14 players.

• Like 1

Good little piece on Bailey's performance today on MOTD and how influential he was.  Also good to see that he's up in third place in terms of minutes per goal contribution in the PL this season (at 88 mins) behind I think Haaland and Salah.  But I did chuckle about the fact that they appear to have missed the fact that Ollie is now top of the goal contributors pile.  An oversight because they were talking about Bailey?  Or for the conspiracy theorist in us - was it a deliberate choice to use a table on player contributions that had a Man City and Liverpool player at the top - rather than a different stat that now has a Villa player at the top????

14 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Where did the 5 minutes of injury time come from in the first half?

I don’t know but I was more surprised that there was only 4 mins after the 90. I thought there was quite a few stoppages.

44 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Where did the 5 minutes of injury time come from in the first half?

There were four goals and Watkins spent some time getting treatment for a knock in the back