• Ramsey
    • McGinn
    • Watkins
    • Diaby (Kamara 64)
    • Tielemans (Bailey 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/02/24 at 23:59

At the end of the day, we lack a couple of key things;

- we often have to create numerous chances to score

- we play in a way which means teams are now happy to sit back, watch us create numerous chances knowing we don't score a high % of them, but know they'll get 4/5/6 decent chances on the counter.  The better the team we play, the more likely they'll score from those counters (man united, Chelsea and Newcastle are dangerous on counters, and look what's happened).

- we appear to only have the one way to play, which is the most concerning thing to me.  It doesn't feel as though we're mixing it up against different opponents.  It's a good way to play (dominating the ball), but we can and do get egg on our faces on occasions.

- I absolutely hate Man United, they've been a laughing stock all season, won about 9 games when they were absolutely shocking and still beat us home and away (also we're the first top 9 team Ten Slag has beaten.. another record).

- I'm still overjoyed at the current season so far, and would have given anything for it.  I just hope the players can pick themselves up and get some points on the board, because they deserve some kind of Europe next year.

• Like 1

Neville and Keane going on about United finally turning the corner after this result. How many times have they said that and United go out and get hammered next game? We need to replicate this performance on the run in and we’ll be well clear of United.

My advice to people is to simply see every game against Man United as an automatic loss regardless of form or how we actually play. It's pretty clear now that they will always have the edge over us no matter what. It's extremely infuriating but ultimately there's nothing anyone can do about it. Just expect the loss every time and if we do get anything it's a nice bonus.

Obviously the players shouldn't have this mentality, but as a fan I can't really suggest anything else, otherwise you'll just get yourself worked up over that horrible club who will always do this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, adw95 said:

Only two in a row for that record. Otherwise you have to consider the Everton Cup loss as well...

**** off with sensible comments 🥸

5 minutes ago, allani said:

How many chances did we create at 1-1?  The answer is an awful lot more than they did.

Yes and at about 75mins we totally dropped off and didn’t create anything else 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Did he have a save to make that wasn't hit right at him?

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What did he do? Apart from save two shots which were straight at him?

Any other match and he's probably already dove halfway across the goal instead...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

We fell apart when McGinn and Bailey went off. Regardless of whether it was the right decision or not it's no surprise that a misfiring Diaby and a non-existant Zaniolo took the wind out of our sails.

We've had this problem for a while now, and it was evident in the beginning today too. Our play seemingly improves when we concede, because pressure is off, we don't need to be scared, we're losing anyways...

• Like 1

I don't know how we contrived to not win that, nevermind lose.

Ref was an absolute disgrace.  Finishing from Villa was worse.

But as many have said, they can do it against Sheff United away, but at home they forget their lines.

Mentally weak but special mention for the coaching staff: United saw it, the crowd saw it, even the gobshites at Sky saw it, but somehow the coaching staff couldn't see McGuire was the danger man at corners and Kamara couldn't deal with him and changed nothing.  Bravo

• Like 3

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

Mentally weak but special mention for the coaching staff: United saw it, the crowd saw it, even the gobshites at Sky saw it, but somehow the coaching staff couldn't see McGuire was the danger man at corners and Kamara couldn't deal with him and changed nothing.  Bravo

This absolutely astonished me tbh. I could understand not having a plan b they could immediately switch to in the first half, but it was obvious in the first 10 minutes, and went on to cost us a goal. Then we came out and did exactly the same in the second half. Baffling. 

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

We've had this problem for a while now, and it was evident in the beginning today too. Our play seemingly improves when we concede, because pressure is off, we don't need to be scared, we're losing anyways...

I wonder if this is why we've actually been better away than at home for the past couple of months.

This is thr one team above all others I detest and never want to lose to. This season they are piss poor and we are having our best season in years. Yet they have somehow still done the double over us- FFS!

Best performance for a while.  Not sure why we took our foot off the gas at 1-1 when we all over them, and the substitution of Bailey was bizarre.

Onana saved all of the shots at him, on another day he fumbles a couple of them in.  They have a curse over us, always have.

Oh, the ref was shit as ever.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The defeat was inevitable. We are Aston Villa remember. The season collapse was and is inevitable

1 point behind Tottenham for 4th with a better goal difference. They ain't gonna win emm all. We lost against a Man U team who aint lost a game this year, an we had far better stats being the better team. Tottenham struggled against bottom half Brentford yesterday.

• Like 3

Â