Pre-match thread

wedge

55 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Hopefully that goes all the way to penalties which they win after the 20th penalty is scored and theyll be knackered and happy to think they’re gonna win the League Cup which hopefully they don’t depending on who they get in the final?

Although if they lose the their semi final that could make their home support really toxic and knock their player’s confidence which I’d imagine isn’t very high right now anyway. So regardless we get an early goal and cruise to a 3-0 away win then move on to the Arabian Shites who aren’t really trail blazing either. 

Pretty confident we'll do enough to get a replay. Chelsea really struggle against our low block and Ollie down well down there last two visits finishing off the counter attacks.

Replays still exist in this round?

Boro second leg 72 hours previously helps us as Chelsea can't afford to go out otherwise Poch's job will be under serious threat, would be like us not beating Bradford over two legs.

Edited by VillaChris

Really think we can start as strong as we possibly can for this, as most of the squad will have had a minimum of 12 days off and some even longer. Fitness permitting, I’d get some sharpness back into our play before we face Newcastle at home in the league a few days later:

Martinez

Cash      Konsa        Pau      Moreno                                 

Kamara       Luiz

McGinn                    Tielemans 

Bailey           Watkins 

Subs: Olsen, Carlos, Lenglet, Dendoncker, Iroegbunum, Ramsey, Zaniolo, Diaby, Duran

No reason why we can’t gain a positive result here. Chelsea are very up and down. Going to say a 1-2 win and into the next round we go. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

On 20/01/2024 at 14:22, VillaChris said:

Pretty confident we'll do enough to get a replay. Chelsea really struggle against our low block and Ollie down well down there last two visits finishing off the counter attacks.

Replays still exist in this round?

Boro second leg 72 hours previously helps us as Chelsea can't afford to go out otherwise Poch's job will be under serious threat, would be like us not beating Bradford over two legs.

Not quite the same, I hate to remind everyone of that awful time but the gap between ourselves and Bradford in the pyramid at that time was far greater than the one between Chelsea and Boro currently.

21 hours ago, gabby_2010 said:

Anyone know what pubs villa have been allocated?

Not 'allocated' any as such ("we're Aston Villa, we drink where we want!") but Earl's Court is the place. Courtfield, Prince of Teck etc then the epic walk from EC to the ground en masse with all the locals gawping as Villa songs echo in the West London air!

• Like 2

Just now, wedge said:

Not 'allocated' any as such ("we're Aston Villa, we drink where we want!") but Earl's Court is the place. Courtfield, Prince of Teck etc then the epic walk from EC to the ground en masse with all the locals gawping as Villa songs echo in the West London air!

I'd actually say for any fans who arrive early on Friday just drink in Putney (high street).

The walk to Chelsea ground is about 20 minutes so not too bad. Or just get the tube up.

Full strength Friday and then Newcastle Tuesday night, ouch!  Although with Newcastle having Fulham Saturday night, could be a blessing, can work you hard Fulham. Will be a tough game for them, we know they want a piece of the FA Cup.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd actually say for any fans who arrive early on Friday just drink in Putney (high street).

The walk to Chelsea ground is about 20 minutes so not too bad. Or just get the tube up.

The Ship in Wandsworth is a good'un as well and not too far away, although might be a bit too cold out for that!

• Thanks 1

Just now, wedge said:

The Ship in Wandsworth is a good'un as well and not too far away, although might be a bit too cold out for that!

My insta is basically hundreds of posts of people I follow drinking at the Ship. Never been there myself when down in the smoke as it's a little bit off the beaten track.

Probably closer to Stamford Bridge than my other suggestions!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

My insta is basically hundreds of posts of people I follow drinking at the Ship. Never been there myself when down in the smoke as it's a little bit off the beaten track.

Probably closer to Stamford Bridge than my other suggestions!

It's main advantage is the outdoor area overlooking the Thames but will be absolutely brassic on Friday there!!