Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

We were really poor, end of. We’ve had some tight decisions go our way recently and tonight they went against us. It’s hypocritical to bemoan our luck when we’ve really benefited from VAR in recent weeks. We weren’t good enough tonight. We move on. We’re still second which is incredible.

• Like 2

Can't rely on officials giving much.  Need to rely on creating chances, which we did little of.  Too laboured in going forward for most of the game.  Just as we had stepped a gear in the 2nd half, the 2 most attacking players were taken off.  Bizarre sub decisions.  

Just now, DeepDish said:

How can that be a free kick for the keeper when the United defender pushes and drags Ramsey into the keeper? Should have been a penalty.

Funny how VAR only shows one angle and it pressures the ref to go to the monitor (which almost always means it’s ruled out). There’s not enough to prove Ramsey is fouling him and overturn it. 

• Like 1

Can't vote as they were rubbish and would vote zaniolo

The bad first 

Cash useless, total waste of space today, 

Lenget was Mr sideways, whole body shape every time he had the ball was turn sideways no forward thinking at all.

Ramsey was pretty useless and should have been off at half time carried on turning inside doing nothing.

Mcginn elected literally every single time to pass the ball to opposition when a shot was on.

Digne, not one cross, all night, not 1.

Emery not making the changes that were glaringly obvious to everyone.

The good

Zaniolos goal

What a piss poor effort against the worst team in the league and by far the worst away team in the league.

Thrown away 2 points thrown away our home win run and just played terrible slow plodding crap.

Lenget should have been off for Carlos at half time, he plays on the front foot and can ping a quick pass. 

Ramsey should have been off at half time for zaniolo 

Tonight I would be pissed off with if we were mid table, to have the chance to go top and have so many poor efforts out there was embarrassing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Powehi said:

The pathetic attitude towards refereeing and VAR (which I wish didn’t exist, but for different reasons) continues on here. It’s never our fault, is it? Like a bunch of Artetas.

We weren’t good enough but still managed to escape with a point. Seasons gone by we would have lost that. Joint top of the table on points tonight. Let’s go to Old Trafford with Pau back and see how we go. 

Did you watch the game? 

Watkins - that's a free kick anywhere on the field but no pen? 

Baldock - Literally bat's the ball away with his arm

Bailey - About the 4th phase of play. They had 3 or 4 chances to clear the ball, their player has possession, loses it, we score. It's a goal. 

VAR has robbed us tonight of a comfortable win against probably the most negative side I've ever seen come to Villa Park. 

• Like 4

Exactly why I was so worried, really was typical Villa. Ref was shit yeah fine but the big issue is our problem against a low block. Can’t break them down for the life of us, proven away from home and now today. 

So disappointing but we can’t complain really. 

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

More proof we aren't title contenders for anyone that needed it. Good comeback but our defeciencies were exposed again. 

The good news is we have a good shout for fourth place this season. That should be our focus. 

It should always have been our focus anything else a very unexpected bonus.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Shite. Horiffic reffing. But we shouldn’t need the ref to win. 

Keeping Cash and Ramsey on for the duration is baffling

I'd have hauled Cash off at HT, but I  guess emery was reluctant to shuffle to CBs?

RB is top priority in January, for me, Konsa is a brilliant asset at CB and we shouldn't be weakening ourselves at the heart of defence because we don't have a better fullback option. 

Results like this happen to top sides. Doesn’t mean it’s easy to take and it’s not going to stir emotions. There were certainly some hyperbolic posts in the match thread but cut people some slack - I think it’s fair to say we’re all emotionally invested (for better or worse). It was incredibly frustrating and there was a lot (relatively) at stake so people are going to be gutted - you don’t win anything other than likes for pointing it out.

Posting laughing emojis after we go 1-0 down is a real word removed move, though. 

• Like 1

McGinn was poor, Luiz was poor, Ramsey had 30 minutes and was then dead in terms of fitness, Watkins was lazy and tactically we failed to deliver quality final balls up front.

............ we go again !

• Haha 1