bannedfromHandV

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Hard to predict who will start this one until we here who is definitely out.  If Pau isn't 100% he should be rested for United on boxing day. 

Would imagine easiest is just to bring Cash back in from the start (which should happen regardless and move Ez back centrally alongside Carlos).

Or perhaps Lenglet might get a very rare prem start?

A sort of worst case XI

-------------------------------Martinez------------------------------

Cash-------------Konsa------------Diego--------------Digne

---------------------Luiz-----------Dendoncker-------------------

Mcginn---------------------------------------------------Ramsey

----------------Diaby--------------------Watkins-----------------

That should still be okay i think.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A sort of worst case XI

I’d be happy enough with this even with McGinn Central with Luiz and Bailey on right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Pau is out injured for Friday according to Doug’s live twitch tonight so I’ve seen 

So we’re missing Pau, Tielemans and Kamara? 

Lineup maybe- Martinez, Cash/Konsa, Carlos, Lenglet, Digne/Moreno, McGinn, Luiz, Dendonker, Ramsey, Bailey, Watkins.

Seems we should still be able to put out a decent enough side but bench options will be weaker. 

I would like to see Sheffield United score in the 42nd minute with a goal that barely makes it over the line but confirmed by Hawkeye.

Then we come back in the 2nd half for a resounding 6-1 win

• Haha 1

Sheff Utd to sit extra deep and channel their inner Zrinjski Mostar (and hope they can hold out a minute longer than the Bosnians did). 

I think the only way we don't win is if we play at Europa Conference League speed and don't pull them out of position. Given that the atmosphere should be rocking though I'm hoping for a fast start and early goals to start the festivities off with a bang. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ponky said:

I would like to see Sheffield United score in the 42nd minute with a goal that barely makes it over the line but confirmed by Hawkeye.

Then we come back in the 2nd half for a resounding 6-1 win

Can we score our 6 goals first please.  I don't think my heart could take them leading 1-0 at half-time.

7 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

So we’re missing Pau, Tielemans and Kamara? 

Lineup maybe- Martinez, Cash/Konsa, Carlos, Lenglet, Digne/Moreno, McGinn, Luiz, Dendonker, Ramsey, Bailey, Watkins.

Seems we should still be able to put out a decent enough side but bench options will be weaker. 

Our squad depth doesn't feel too bad when you think we're missing Mings, Buendia, Torres, Tielemans & Kamara and yet we can put out a decent team. 

Then i remember a couple of our European games and the League cup where we put out similar teams and were awful. 

So i don't know what to think.

So could be missing: Mings, Buendia, Pau, Tielemans, Kamara, Traore, Olsen. Seven players from the squad, ridiculous. Newcastle and Tottenhsm can’t keep saying they’re the only ones with lots of players unavailable.

I guess it will be:

Martinez

Cash Konsa Carlos Digne

Luiz McGinn

Bailey                     Ramsey

Diaby Watkins

Maybe Lenglet for Cash with Konsa right back. Digne or Moreno also another decision but I reckon Digne with Moreno against Man Utd. Zaniolo or Ramsey another decision to be made.

Still a good enough team to beat the bottom side at home but we really need some back for Man Utd. See what Unai says in his presser.

Edited by Leeroy

Martinez

Konsa.    Carlos.   Lenglet.      Digne.

Bailey.     McGinn.    Luiz.       Ramsey.

Diaby.

Watkins.

Is the way I'd go IF Pau and Youri are out. Still enough quality to get the job done, as long as the attitude and application is 100%.

Lenglet and Carlos have had a bit of experience playing together in Europe so that will help.

Diaby needs to get back on track, hopefully this is the match he does it.

Zaniolo and Duran options off the bench.

I think the nervousness is healthy when we are still realistically only just breaking the Top Six.

I share it, but it means the fans will be up for it. It reminds me a bit of pre-Blues. You know we're better, but we're Villa so we need to be cautious of f***Ing things up.

I don't think we need to worry about the players or manager being complacent. They've not displayed any of that kind of thing at all under Unai.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ender4 said:

Our squad depth doesn't feel too bad when you think we're missing Mings, Buendia, Torres, Tielemans & Kamara and yet we can put out a decent team. 

Then i remember a couple of our European games and the League cup where we put out similar teams and were awful. 

So i don't know what to think.

It'll be a team stronger than those teams we fielded in the cups. I think Watkins and Martinez are the key two. Either of those absent and we don't often fare well.

• Like 1

Pau and Youri officially out. No word on Lenglet so he might he make a rare league start?

Konsa Diego Lenglet Digne

Bailey McGinn Luiz JJ

Diaby Watkins

For once - not sure of what the XI will be

Edited by DJBOB

I'm kinda nervous about this one. But i'm conditioned to be pessimistic as a Villa fan. Even Unai hasn't fixed that in me yet.

Not having Pau, Youri and Kamara isn't ideal. But if it was to happen against any opposition, i'd guess you'd want it to be this game. 

Not quite sure what my starting 11 would be. I'd kinda like to see both Bailey and Diaby on the pitch together but I don't think we'll see it cos having one on the bench gives us the ability to change the game if we need to. 

But if I had to choose it would be:

Emi

Cash
Konsa
Carlos
Moreno

Bailey
McGinn
Luiz
JJ

Diaby
Watkins

I'd just about go Cash over Lenglet.

Wilder is a wily one. I want Konsa in at CB to marshall things.

Need McGinn on it in an unfamiliar role if he's in over Donk. 

Front four of Watkins, Diaby, Bailey and JJ should win us the the game regardless of any selections behind them.

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

A sort of worst case XI

Yeah I guess it depends how much emphasis Emery puts on L or R sided centre backs. It could be Lenglet alongside Carlos with Konsa at RB. We could then put Cash in McGinn's place and take Dendoncker out for McGinn. I think we should have enough against this lot regardless. They're not just bottom. They're the only side who look like they don't belong in this league. It'd be nice to see a Diaby performance. It feels like a while since we've seen one.