bannedfromHandV

Win this and we go top of the league for the first time since how long? That's just fantastic, amazing stuff. Never would have I have thought we would be in reach of that after almost half the season played. 

If Arse and Plop draw in their game we stay top of the table over Christmas.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Emi

Cash Konsa Diego Digne

McGinn Dendoncker Luiz Zaniolo

Diaby Watkins

A much changed side and I worry a bit about McGinn for fitness and for his yellow cards so I'm hoping we get out in front quick so we can have a decently rested XI for United.

No game is particularly easy in the league but Sheffield's threats are very predictable and I'm sure Wilder will have them set up deep and try to hit us with McBurnie and Archer.

But they really are a poor side and Unai has a pretty strong record against the relegation teams at home.

Edited by DJBOB

I think everyone's got a bit of voodoo about potentially going top here but Sheffield are 0-1-7 away with a -18 GD. 4 goals for and 22 goals against.

Anything less than 3 points would be poor.

• Like 1

I picked the same team as Emery last time out (wooh), but on reflection, it wasn't the side that won us the game, so maybe we both got it wrong 🤔

I think I'd go (fitness issues aside);

Martinez

Konsa.     Carlos.        Pau.        Digne.

Bailey.       McGinn.    Luiz.       Ramsey.

Tielemans.

Watkins.  

I think it's pretty safe to say these will sit in, hope to be hard to break down & leave little space in behind, so (if fit) I'd put Tielemans in there for his guile as opposed to Diaby's pace (& current lack of form). 

Toss of a coin at left back really, either way I think both will get minutes. 

Hate these games where we are absolutely nailed on favourites, because the pessimist in me is expected to be let down, but this is a different Villa. Emery's Villa. At home. The 12th man. Under the lights. 

3-1 Ramsey, Watkins, Zaniolo. 

Top of the league 🙏 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, troon_villan said:

Old fashioned McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey central midfield? 

Or do we bring Dendinkydonk in to shield the defence?

Why Dendinkydonk? I don’t get it what’s the purpose of misspelling his name ?

We should be winning this. It probably won’t be as easy as it looks on paper but we should have enough to beat them. I don’t think it’s arrogant to expect that. 

As always, an early goal will get us going and make sheff u have to come out and play a bit. Is Wilder still unleashing his tactical genius in overlapping centre backs or did he give up on that? Whatever he’s got, I trust Emery to be six moves ahead. 

The odds from Skybet are:

Us winning: 1/5, draw: 11/2 and SheffieldU winning: 12/1

I don’t think I have seen odds that are so in favour of us winning before, at least not for a premier league match.

A win would guarantee we will be at least second over Christmas, with a good chance to be top of the league.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

The odds from Skybet are:

Us winning: 1/5, draw: 11/2 and SheffieldU winning: 12/1

I don’t think I have seen odds that are so in favour of us winning before, at least not for a premier league match.

A win would guarantee we will be at least second over Christmas, with a good chance to be top of the league.

7/2 on Sheffield United or Draw Double Chance if anyone wants a consolation prize for Christmas.

With the Man U game so close to this one, I wouldn't be taking chances on the fitness of Pau or Tielemans if they're not 100%.

We could go to a back 4 of Cash, Konsa, Carlos, Moreno. Or, Lenglet could come in as a direct swap for Pau.

Part of me is tempted to say we bring McGinn off the bench if we need him, as he's both one yellow away from being banned against Man U, and he's played a lot of football.

I'd potentially start with:

Luiz, Donk, Ramsey, Zaniolo, Diaby and Watkins ahead of a back 4, with McGinn, Youri, Pau, Bailey, Duran all ready to be brought on if things aren't going to plan.