viivvaa66

Cash-Konsa-Pau-Digne

McGinn-Kamara-Luiz-JJ

Diaby-Watkins

The lineup picks itself except for JJ and maybe Moreno for Digne but that is all down to fitness. 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Zaniolo start in that left mid position either if Unai doesn’t think JJ can start for a full 60-65 minutes. 

Control the center as City will have a suboptimal left winger without Grealish or Doku available. 

These are the matches meant for Diaby. We had Buendia or McGinn start up top with Watkins before and while that is needed in some matches, City have shown vulnerability in the counter this year. We need Diaby to play the best match in a Villa shirt so far to get some points. 

Edited by DJBOB

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Cash should come back in as rb. Carlos dropping out of the back 4. Kamara back in with Tielemans a more advanced role. The only question is Bailey or Diaby?

Agreed.

Diaby no question, I think it's why he was rested at the weekend...although I'm aware Emery denied it.

• Like 1

I was pretty deflated after yesterday but am strangely still quite optimistic for this game. I feel like this Villa team, playing at full strength and in front of a home crowd, can do anything. I'm not expecting a result but I absolutely would not be shocked by something special either.

• Like 1

We have to set up differently, if we go with the usual approach I worry we’ll be picked off easily with their quality and in particular Haaland up against Torres and Konsa who I think are both slower and weaker physically. Mings vs Haaland was a decent matchup, perhaps Carlos can play that role but he wasn’t great yesterday.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Cash should come back in as rb. Carlos dropping out of the back 4. Kamara back in with Tielemans a more advanced role. The only question is Bailey or Diaby?

Definitely diaby, Bailey is a massive weapon from the bench.

• Shocked 1

It’s hilarious reading Bluemoon. Before each match they take votes amongst their members over if they think they’ll win, draw or lose and pretty much every game about 80-90% of them vote for them to win whoever they are playing such is the regularity that City win games. But they are all having a meltdown after drawing three games in a row and 77 have predicted us to win compared to 76 voting for them to win. That’s pretty respectful of us even if we have won 13 home games in a row.

I still think we’re more likely to beat the Arse than City (unless we by some miracle win both games). Even without Grealish, Doku, Rodri and de Bruyne they still have a front four of Haaland, Foden, Alvarez and Bernardo which is ridiculous and our defence is just far too generous. The one thing that gives me hope is without Rodri they are extremely vulnerable and even with him playing the last three games they’ve shipped 8 goals. Our attack should therefore get chances so the likes of Watkins, Diaby and Bailey need to be at it and we need something off that left side too (Zaniolo or Ramsey) because Walker has looked vulnerable recently. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Most of their fans are predicting a loss. So weird to be favourites against City. 

We aren't favourites. That's just fans being fans and being overly pessimistic.

They should win.  We will have to pull off a massive shock for them to not win.

• Like 1

yes betting companies will have them clear favourites still. 2 or 3-0 to them would seem most likely. They will punish our defences properly. We can get a draw but we need some luck to help us out. But at least we are generally a bit better at home. 

We will be doing well to get anything from Man City, Arsenal, and Man Utd, I think people going overboard with how bad Man Utd are, yes they're well below where they want to be, but still more than good enough to give us a tough game, despite how poor they've supposedly been they're still only two points behind Newcastle, and three behind Spurs, which is ominous for the teams just above, because they will probably improve as they usually do, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they finished top four.

And then the other two December games are Brentford and Sheffield United, we should beat Sheffield United, but Brentford away is another tough game, and the kind of fixture we've shown we can struggle in, see the away games against Bournemouth, Wolves, and Forest, so I think it's just realistic to say we're in for a tough December, I don't say the opposite just for the sake of being heroic.

• Like 3

For pretty much all of us this is the most confident Villa side at home we will have ever seen. I think some of us are failing to grasp or down play just how good we are at home. We are exceptional. You have to be to win 13 home league games on the bounce in the toughest league in the world.

You add in that we are currently one of the best 4 teams in the country then I don't think we could go into this game in better shape. 

Villa Park under the lights in big games has given me some really special memories. I'm confident Wednesday will produce another one.

• Like 2