Ratings & Reactions: Nottm Forest v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/11/23 at 23:59

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I'm not saying Villa weren't poor or anything, but it's something like only Newcastle and United that have beaten Forest in the league at the City Ground this calendar year. They're good at home and have gotten wins against Liverpool, Arsenal etc at home since getting promoted. City only managed a draw with them. Villa don't really have any right to expect to be rocking up and beating them, and failing to do so doesn't really prove that there's any ceiling to what we can do this season.

I agree, they defended really well and took their few chances. Happens. I still think we're much the better team by a distance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Still 5th lads, don’t get too carried away with the despair. 

5th is the new 11th.

• Haha 1

Fluffed our lines in front of goal and around the area. Forest played well and broke and attacked with real purpose, a purpose we lacked. Our relaxed no urgency style of play sometimes works against us especially in games like this. A little more urgency is required and a little more aggression and willingness to shoot and or take players on. Ollie was holding the ball up well but we didn't use him enough or get players close enough to him when we did find him. 

That wasn't just a bad day at the office, that was just extremely poor throughout the entire game.

From ultra negative out of position every time disaster which was cash today, to uktra slow build up play and no movement from the midfield, to 1 effort where the keeper had to make a save.

Bailey back to his away form, 1 cross in 45 minutes to a forest defender, every other time he had it, he lost possession.

Luiz walking around thinking he doesn't need to battle

Konsa in slow motion 

Diaby not showing or moving 

Watkins doing almost nothing due to most balls played to him facing away from goal and being held 

Digne was probably our best of a terrible bunch today, I'm a bad loser but when the team become gutless or lazy I'm 5 times worse. 

Worst performance from us this season due to the lack of any attacking threat and who we played. It starts at the back and standing with the ball for 20 seconds, which konsa has decided to do for a good few games now instead of just keeping the ball moving with 1 of 3 simple passes already puts us on the back foot. Then the ball going out wide to cash who has the entire side empty to attack cuts back and it all starts again, going no where. The midfield, mcginn luiz kamara, kamara sacrificed for the ineffective cash and we have lost the midfield.

We play a possession game where today no one did anything with the possession.

The ref didn't help matters, multiple times we were founded and its play on, forest player gets less treatment and instant foul.

We are still better than that and should have played on the front foot rather than repeatedly checking back for literally zero reason.

Having trouble thinking of a more frustrating game than this in recent memory (guess the Wolves game was similar). We were below standards across the board but the way our usually excellent attacking players kept making the wrong decision, failing to do simple things and faffing final balls and finishes again and again was infuriating. We had so many touches in their box (Kenneth) especially in the second half. But we just went moms spaghetti every time.

Oh, and while it did nothing in regards to the result can the PL please stop bringing back this Aussie ref. He was shocking against Chelsea and just as poor this time. 

• Like 1

Just one of those days I think. Nothing was falling for us in the box and everything that did fall was put over or straight at the keeper. In the same way that Martinez saves that 2nd goal 99 times our of 100. 

The timings of the goal were bad too. I think if we were 1 nil down for much of the second half we would have eventually equalised. That stupid goal a minute into the second half gave us too much to do.

• Like 2

The final ball, shot, dribble was lacking.

We dominated possession and their goals were fortuitous.

Bad day at the office but by no means a disaster. Unai will learn a huge amount from this I'm sure.

On to the next one!

• Like 4

Well that’s grounded us. No excuses there today we were crap. We are a very good team but a notch below City , Liverpool , Arsenal , Newcastle and Spurs over a season imo. 6th is definitely ours to lose and maybe we could get 5th and im more than happy with that. Just need to keep improving and I’m sure we could achieve more as a club. Let’s give Fulham a hammering now. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Important not to overreact after one poor performance and result… mustn’t ignore all the positive and impressive ones.

Can’t win them all, we will be back.

Unai needs some better players in certain positions imo though…. must strengthen at least at RB in Jan.

These players have and will perform a lot better than they did today.

It wasn't even a bad performance.  We had 5 times the number of touches in their box than them.  Every single stat (except the important one!) was in our favour.  We score a goal at any point in that match and we go on to score 2 or 3.  It was one of those games when nothing quite bounced our way.  It happens.  No need to over-react.  No need to panic.  No need to tear up the game plan.  No need to sell half the squad.  We play like that and create that many chances on another day and we win comfortably.  

I'd agree on the RB transfer - Elanga had Cash on toast today (but did less well against Kamara and Carlos).

• Like 1

Chance to go 3rd against a lower table side on a 6 game winless streak and we bottle it.

Not our worst performance by any stretch, but a bit casual at all the wrong times punctuated by an almost comical number of squandered chances.

My Spidey Sense within the first minute of play told me we'd lose today.

These results will happen, but it's still a bitter pill to swallow. 

I hope the players and coaches learn something from this shit day out.

• Like 1

It feels like we were due a game like this. A really bad day at the office, nothing more, nothing less. Forest defended well, but we did make it easy for them as we were so ponderous at times, it felt like they had all the time in the world to get into positions to stop the final ball. Together with the fact that our crosses were terrible, Martinez should have (and normally would have) done better for the 2 goals and we just didn't seem to get the bounce of the ball, we probably didn't deserve anything out of it. Onto the next one.

18 minutes ago, Icarium said:

Real vintage villa

Easily winnable game where a result makes a real statement....

Shit the bed 

We were poor but not sure this was ever an "easily winnable" game. Forest are very tough at home.

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Important not to overreact after one poor performance and result… mustn’t ignore all the positive and impressive ones.

Can’t win them all, we will be back.

Unai needs some better players in certain positions imo though…. must strengthen at least at RB in Jan.

These players have and will perform a lot better than they did today.

I agree it’s important not to over react and had we lost to Brighton away or someone like that I would be less bothered but we have failed to beat wolves and forest away both of whom are garbage. Games like today would have allowed us to keep a 5 point gap to Newcastle and 7 point gap to Utd but now we are back to 2 and 4 points respectively so this was a big game and we didn’t play like it was. The closing down for the first goal was pathetic the just was nobody charging out to block the shot. Forest charged and blocked most of our efforts or rushed us into poor finishing. The 2nd was equally poor in terms of closing the shot down and yes it was a nothing shot that emi should have just caught rather than do what ever the hell it actually did but those two goals and lack of closing optimised a lazy performance of a team believing the hype. Will utd lose away to forest ? Probably not, they will probably put in another horrible performance like yesterday but win 1-0 and this is why we will probably still finish around 7th.

though Pau played very well on the brightside but other than that turgid is all I can think to describe our performance 

The problem with scoring most of your goals from quick transitions is when you play in games where they don’t allow you any transitions at all. That’s the next step I think. The fact it was an away game is largely irrelevant IMO - it’s more a tactical and player profile thing. Most of our attacking talent looks much better when they can run into space.

Also, if you concede 2 goals, you lose most of the time anyway. That was just poor defending.

Â