Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

55 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

France's longest land border is with Brazil.

OK, I'll bite. If this is some South American colony, that's not actually France. Otherwise, I don't get it. 

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

OK, I'll bite. If this is some South American colony, that's not actually France. Otherwise, I don't get it. 

can only be French Guiana ..  legally its as French as wearing a beret and going on strike every 2 weeks but , yeah I'm not sure about that trivia fact 

Edit - snap 

Edited by tonyh29

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

You completely misunderstand the nature of France. What you think of as France is actually known technically as Metropolitan France. French colonies such as French Guiana are known as Overseas Departments of France. The official currency in French Guiana is the Euro, it is as much a part of France as Paris or Marseilles. French Guiana is officially in the EU and it has representatives in the French Parliament

EDIT: The Island of Saint -Martin / Sint Maartin in the Caribbean is where the Netherlands / France Land border is, they have half the island each

• Like 2

On 17/10/2021 at 12:38, Xela said:

he first officially registered trademark in the UK was the Bass triangle, in 1876. 

pedant but its actually a trade mark  , two words 

good fact though :) 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Most of France's overseas territories are officially still France, as part of the French Republic.

France did the Empire thing a bit different to us.

I had the pleasure of spending a few days on New Caledonia Nouvelle-Calédonie... a tropical island in the Pacific. Euros ... French prices ... so technically I can't count it as another country I have visited.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

You completely misunderstand the nature of France. What you think of as France is actually known technically as Metropolitan France. French colonies such as French Guiana are known as Overseas Departments of France. The official currency in French Guiana is the Euro, it is as much a part of France as Paris or Marseilles. French Guiana is officially in the EU and it has representatives in the French Parliament. 

Pah. Technicality. As far as I'm concerned France is The Hexagon. 

• Haha 1

Not only are overseas territories considered part of France, and have their own representation in the French legislature, but French people in other countries are *also* represented by eleven representatives in the National Assembly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituencies_for_French_residents_overseas

French people in the UK are part of the third constituency, represented by Alexandre Holroyd, along with the rest of northern Europe:

2560px-Troisieme_circonscription_francai

But while that's a pretty cool constituency, it is as nothing to the absolute best constituency that anyone has in democratic politics anywhere in the world, Anne Genetet's eleventh constituency, which is this magnificent whopper:

2880px-Onzieme_circonscription_francais_

Genghis Khan ain't got shit on it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

It's like saying that embassies are the sovereign soil of their parent countries, therefore almost every country has a land border with every other one. 

We’ve got a patch of land near us at Runnymede , the JFK memorial , that was gifted to the USA .. technically(well actually I think ,  legally )it’s US territory .

I’ve not given it a huge amount of thought but wondered if someone broke  the law in the U.K. and legged it there and got arrested , could they  argue the case that they were illegally arrested / extradited or something ?

Been reading.

The Lockheed SR71 had 4000 missiles fired at it during it's service. Not one ever got near it. Apparently it was retired, as we now have spy satellites, so there is no need for reconnaissance aircraft. This is actually untrue information, an we will always have the need for high speed, high altitude reconnaissance. Which had me thinking, what have they got now?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Been reading.

The Lockheed SR71 had 4000 missiles fired at it during it's service. Not one ever got near it. Apparently it was retired, as we now have spy satellites, so there is no need for reconnaissance aircraft. This is actually untrue information, an we will always have the need for high speed, high altitude reconnaissance. Which had me thinking, what have they got now?

Lyndon B Johnson once said that the $40 billion spent on the space programme was worth every cent because of the advances in space photography and intelligence gathering.  Getting the same information on the USSR by conventional means would have cost much more.  In addition the information obtained allowed them to prioritise defence spending against real threats rather than predicted ones.  He estimated space photography had saved $400 billion in defence spending.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Been reading.

Like this bit of info, my 'guess' for now is that they would favour UAVs over manned aircraft.

10 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Been reading.

The SR-91 Aurora was rumoured  since the 80’s but other than conspiracy theorists , nobody  has seen it ….

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The SR-91 Aurora was rumoured  since the 80’s but other than conspiracy theorists , nobody  has seen it ….

I'm fascinated by all this kind of classified stuff. I think the Aurora was actually the code name for the B2 Spirit. No one has actually seen a recent Spy aircraft, but I guess you wouldn't would you.

Area 51 and the Skunk works still exist, so research and projects still definitely being developed.

13 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm fascinated by all this kind of classified stuff. I think the Aurora was actually the code name for the B2 Spirit. No one has actually seen a recent Spy aircraft, but I guess you wouldn't would you.

Area 51 and the Skunk works still exist, so research and projects still definitely being developed.

Steve Coogan is rumoured to have done "something" as well 👀

• Haha 4

Spy satellites

I have written about this on Villatalk in the past.  

In the early 90s I was part of Birmingham's Civil Defence Team.  My job specifically related to a nuclear attack on the UK.  My role was to receive data from throughout the UK and try to work out what had hit us.  Part of this was based upon things like crater size and radiation levels.  But I specifically remember that monitoring the amount of dead cattle in fields was a key tool to predicting if there were likely to be human survivors in an area.  Two satellite photos of the same field taken minutes apart were enough to establish if it contained 200 dead sheep or 200 live sheep.  That was 30 years ago.  What they can see today must be amazing.  

Edited by Mandy Lifeboats
  • Like 1

Â