Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

While we're on slightly deceptive companies, is it worth mentioning that McDonald's is first and foremost a real estate company?

If anyone has seen the movie "The Founder" then they'll know all about this.

I assumed it was going to be (rightly or wrongly) a fairly feel good story about how a company was built from nothing.

It is horribly depressing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50304437

Blimey - £400m in 2019 - that's pre-pandemic. I'm guessing the pandemic will have increased that as there was a period of dormancy for a lot of these cards and they'll have been lost or forgotten or people will have moved to parts fo the country that don't have the benefit of the London's transport systems.

Yeah. I used to use my Lobster card quite a bit and so set up an auto top up. I can't cancel the auto top up easily - you have to go on that internet and do it AND then use the card within a short window after. I forgot to do this the last time I went to that there London, so it topped up another 20 quid and I haven't used it since. I guess they've got 25 odd quid of mine and will have for another eon. Now you can use a phone or normal card to do exactly the same thing for the same price there's no point really to me having the Lobster card. Grrr.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Yeah. I used to use my Lobster card quite a bit and so set up an auto top up. I can't cancel the auto top up easily - you have to go on that internet and do it AND then use the card within a short window after. I forgot to do this the last time I went to that there London, so it topped up another 20 quid and I haven't used it since. I guess they've got 25 odd quid of mine and will have for another eon. Now you can use a phone or normal card to do exactly the same thing for the same price there's no point really to me having the Lobster card. Grrr.

Heads up, but I think you've misunderstood the point of this thread mate, this is the Spelling Out The English Alphabet With Unconventional Spellings thread 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Heads up, but I think you've misunderstood the point of this thread mate, this is the Spelling Out The English Alphabet With Unconventional Spellings thread 

Have you been drinking... in town?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Jee?

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Whai

Edit:  Gah, forgot the quote wouldn't quote the quotes :(

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Dubbleyew. 

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Not forgetting Whai

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Kew

4 hours ago, bickster said:

Eph?

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Jee?

Its like being back in On-Topic

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Starbucks have cards you pre-load with cash so that you can order online and collect in stores, beating the queues.They also have gift cards you can pre-load.

The outstanding value on those cards is estimated as being over $2bn.

That money 'belongs' to Starbucks, you've spent it with them the moment you put it on the card, not the moment you get the coffee, and you can never ever get it back as cash.

It's an interest free loan to Starbucks from their customers of over $2bn - and even better for them, it's not subject to any of the banking rules or regulations around loans.

Better still for them is that they estimate that around 10% of that money will never be spent in their stores, it'll simply be forgotten.

Starbucks had a UK tax credit of £4.4m in 2020 because of reported losses, whilst at the same time, its global customer base gifted them $200m and loaned them $1.8bn, interest free.

I'm not sure whether to be horrified or impressed.

This is nothing new, but Starbucks has probably taken it to a new level because it's such a common and easy gift for people you don't know well or care that much about.  People give $5 or $10 Starbucks cards, lots of us have more than one sitting around.   Because the value is so low, nobody is very meticulous about keeping track of them or spending them down.

The concept has been at play with merchant gift cards for quite a while, and Visa and MasterCard got in on it as well, but those greedy bastards would have built-in decreases in the value over time and/or expiration dates.   The state of California long ago passed a law that gift cards that are bought at face value in the state cannot expire, because of the outrage at the amount of money merchants were getting from consumers who got nothing in return.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

The richest person in the world is not actually Bezos or gates. It's Putin. And the richest family, is not the Walton's it's the Rothchild's

Is it the Rothschild's? Nothing I can see puts them as the wealthiest. As for the richest person, I would dispute Putin so where is your info coming from?

Â