Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

21 hours ago, Chindie said:

it's piss is also bizarre. It smells like cannabis. It is suspected that the urine contains a chemical pyrazine, which is what makes weed smell like weed. The smell is so strong and similar that Rotterdam Zoo was once investigated by police who were alerted to suspicions of someone smoking pot there. The smell is believed to be helpful to the wolf in marking territory, as a solitary creature with wide roaming home areas, it benefits from having scent markings that are strong enough to last long after it's been somewhere.

They have some at Paignton Zoo. The smell thing is very real. Watching people double taking and looking around the place is always good for a laugh when it comes to people watching.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

US Aircraft Carriers each have a postal address. 

Mr & Mrs Admiral Schultz, USN

"The Poplars"

22b Acacia Crescent

USS Nimitz

Basingstoke BS19 3BD 

This might be something that people just know, but it’s something I was completely unaware of.

You don’t have leap years in years that are divisible by 100 but are not divisible by 400.

So there was a leap year in 2000, but there won’t be one in 2100, there wasn’t one in 1900. The last one that occurred at the start of a century was 1600. These are “century leap years” and the next one will be in 2400 and as with all century leap years, 1st January will be a Saturday and 29th February will be a Tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I wonder if the divorce papers will arrive in a stupidly oversized box full of needless packaging..

From the jokes thread but the point is relevant in here.

I can't find anything from Amazon to verify this, but the story is that Amazon uses massive boxes sometimes because they have a complex algorithm that works out the size of boxes needed to perfectly fill a truck along with the other items.
So you might get an SD card in a massive box because it needs to use up more space to make sure everything fits together perfectly and doesn't leave any space in the truck. It's like a massive game of tetris to efficiently use space and stop things sliding around.

They claim it actually reduces waste.

Can't verify that 100% like I said, but possible I guess.

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

A licence to sell hot dogs from a stand outside the zoo in Central Park in New York for one year costs $289,500

They've obviously done the maths, but I don't care if it makes sense.  That's the kind of pressure I don't need in my life!

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

They've obviously done the maths, but I don't care if it makes sense.  That's the kind of pressure I don't need in my life!

It needs to generate around $425,000 a year in revenue to break even (It doesn't just sell hot dogs)

Article here

The Six-Figure Price Tag for Selling a $2 Hot Dog

Call it the half-million-dollar hot dog cart. Mohammad Mastafa of Astoria, Queens, has to sell almost that much in drinks and snacks annually to break even on the pushcart he owns at Fifth Avenue and East 62nd Street near the Central Park Zoo. He pays the city’s parks department $289,500 a year just for the right to operate his single cart there.

More on link

• Like 1

Last summer we were knocking around that London and bought 4 ice creams in Hyde Park.

Once I'd paid I asked 'can we have four free flakes?'

The guy just looked at me for a second and then said, yeah. Gave me 4 free flakes. The kids were convinced I did some sought of mind thing on him.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

A licence to sell hot dogs from a stand outside the zoo in Central Park in New York for one year costs $289,500

Similar to this, the cost of a taxi licence in HK regularly tops over $5m - $7m Hong Kong Dollars (£486k - £681k GBP) on the market

There are 18,163 licences  and no new ones have been issued in 20 years. You can sell existing ones though to the highest bidder. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Xela said:

Similar to this, the cost of a taxi licence in HK regularly tops over $5m - $7m Hong Kong Dollars (£486k - £681k GBP) on the market

There are 18,163 licences  and no new ones have been issued in 20 years. You can sell existing ones though to the highest bidder. 

The New York City taxi 'medallion', the licence to operate basically, 5 years ago cost over $1m. It was so expensive it meant most taxis were basically run by a syndicate, people pooling finances to run a cab in essence. That and loans.

Today it's caused another problem. The 'medallion' is now worth far less thanks to Uber and Lyft, so the guys who borrowed enormous amounts of cash to buy into the game in the last decade or so have been completely ****.

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The New York City taxi 'medallion', the licence to operate basically, 5 years ago cost over $1m. It was so expensive it meant most taxis were basically run by a syndicate, people pooling finances to run a cab in essence. That and loans.

Today it's caused another problem. The 'medallion' is now worth far less thanks to Uber and Lyft, so the guys who borrowed enormous amounts of cash to buy into the game in the last decade or so have been completely ****.

Same in HK. We used Uber a few times when Taxi's weren't available. 

I think one company owns 900 of the HK licences and then they lease a licence out to a driver on a 24 hour period. He then subleases it out for 12 ours within that 24 hour period The taxi and licence is basically used 24 hours a day. In a bustling city like HK that is do-able - it's always busy so you can always catch fares. 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Same in HK. We used Uber a few times when Taxi's weren't available. 

I think one company owns 900 of the HK licences and then they lease a licence out to a driver on a 24 hour period. He then subleases it out for 12 ours within that 24 hour period The taxi and licence is basically used 24 hours a day. In a bustling city like HK that is do-able - it's always busy so you can always catch fares. 

This is actually why Uber exists. The same problem exists in this country. Hackney Carriage Licences can be transferred between people and licence numbers are capped so they gain value on a semi-official black market. Councils could put a stop to this overnight by making the plates non-transferable and introduce a rule of one plate per person. The council would lose no income and there'd be almost enough plates for all the drivers. The costs would come down overnight. The only people that would lose out are the plate barons.

But tbh, I've made a good living on the other side of the trade for over 2 decades so II don't care

• Like 2

Sega, the renowned Japanese games company most famous for the Mega Drive and their rivalry with Nintendo in the early 90s, has been out of the home console business for as long as they were in it. They released their their first console, the SG1000, in 1983, and dropped out of the console business in 2001 following the Dreamcast being a failure too far after one disaster after another from the Mega Drive on. Since then they've been a third party developer and publisher (and released an awful lot of shit, running their crown jewel titles through the dirt).

Learning this made me feel **** old.

• Like 1

Â