Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

Tamiya's standard scale for military land vehicles is 1/35 (and has been for donkeys years. They are famous for continuing to release models for decades, you can still buy kits they first released in the 70s). They also have made some bigger scales, like 1/16 tanks, which are **** enormous.

Yes, of course, 1/35, not 1/32. I was into tabletop wargaming at the time, using mainly Airfix stuff - what they called HO/OO (which as any railway modeller will know are two different scales). Figures confusingly also referred to as 20mm or 25mm. This IS The Boring Thread, isn't it? 

• Like 1

Airfix and their HO/OO scale was the curse of my childhood. I loved their soldiers and had almost every type. But as I grew up it became obvious that the scale varied greatly. My US paratroopers were all notably larger than my German Infantry. I specifically remember the D-Day set being very relaxed with its scales.  I couldn't play with toys of different scales. That way anarchy lives.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

There are now more documentaries about Hitler than there are grains of sand on all the world's beaches.

Cheap book and stationery store 'The Word' could reduce it's floor space requirements by approximately 45% if it didn't carry books about Hitler, the nazi's and Haynes tank manuals.

But then, where would all the old men stand whilst their wives look at craft sets?

28 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Cheap book and stationery store 'The Word' could reduce it's floor space requirements by approximately 45% if it didn't carry books about Hitler, the nazi's and Haynes tank manuals.

But then, where would all the old men stand whilst their wives look at craft sets?

Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Tread softly, for you tread on my dreams. 

I was in there on Saturday. Just how many remaindered books about SS uniforms can there be? Why are men not quite old enough to have fought soooo interested in Bombers of WWII?

It might be the nearest thing to actual literal purgatory and I will not be making that mistake again. Next time, it's take absolutely as long as you like, I have a smartphone and a seat in Cafe Nero.

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I was in there on Saturday. Just how many remaindered books about SS uniforms can there be? Why are men not quite old enough to have fought soooo interested in Bombers of WWII?

It's because we were not quite old enough to have fought. If you were a 1950s baby like me, you grew up totally in the shadow of WWII. It was all our parents talked about. All the military memoirs were being published and the US and British film industries were in full swing, churning out war movies. All us little boys were busy building Airfix kits of tanks and planes. From an early age, I was fascinated by history. Particularly military history. Particularly WWII. To a slightly lesser extent, I still am. It was the defining decade of the 20th Century, one which shaped the modern world. Can't escape it. I make no apologies. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

It's because we were not quite old enough to have fought. If you were a 1950s baby like me, you grew up totally in the shadow of WWII. It was all our parents talked about. All the military memoirs were being published and the US and British film industries were in full swing, churning out war movies. All us little boys were busy building Airfix kits of tanks and planes. From an early age, I was fascinated by history. Particularly military history. Particularly WWII. To a slightly lesser extent, I still am. It was the defining decade of the 20th Century, one which shaped the modern world. Can't escape it. I make no apologies. 

to be honest, I'd rather go and see anything about WW2 than looking around record shops and stuff.  

Different strokes for different folks innit? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

to be honest, I'd rather go and see anything about WW2 than looking around record shops and stuff.  

Different strokes for different folks innit? 

This. 

I see literally no point in visiting a record shop. 

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Oh, record shops are my OTHER thing. Provided they have lots of CDs, rather than (yawn) vinyl. 

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

It might be the nearest thing to actual literal purgatory and I will not be making that mistake again. Next time, it's take absolutely as long as you like, I have a smartphone and a seat in Cafe Nero.

took my son to Brooklands museum on Sunday , they built much of our aviation history there  ( including the short lived TSR-2  , indeed some of the surviving pieces of it are on show  ~geek  ) ...he's just turned 14 and fascinated by planes and tanks particually form that WW2 era  , at some point he'll be one of those men hanging out in bookshops  , I don't think the interest will ever go  so give up your job and write a WW 2 book :)

Edited by tonyh29

On 19/11/2018 at 11:23, MrDuck said:

There are now more documentaries about Hitler than there are grains of sand on all the world's beaches.

Sticking my neck out here, but anyway: that's probably pretty close to the number of stars in the observable universe. I've seen estimates ranging from 4 quadrillion to 3.5 quintillion grains of sand. Should you count every single person reading a printed copy of every book ever written, and every person having watched a dvd or a TV broadcast? And every person viewing a Hitler Downfall parody? Even so, I doubt you'd come close.

(And yes, I know I've posted this in the Totally useless information thread.)

Â