Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

The department store toy shop we had when I was a kid had shelves of kits. Revell and Airfix were at different price points I think I remember, plus each kit would be individually priced, so generally bottom price was a crap plane by Revell and top dollar would be a Lancaster or Superfortress by Airfix.
But this pre dates bar codes. So the trick was to select the model kit you wanted, and the price sticker you wanted, and put them together.
Woman on the till didn’t know her Fokkers from her Hellcats, so she just rung up the number on the sticker.
They went bust eventually.

Harsh, but fair. 

Community I'Ll Allow It GIF

Capitalists, be capitalists. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Chindie said:

However, the kilogram hasn't moved beyond being defined by an artifact. The definitional kilogram is a small cylinder of platinum-iridium alloy, called the International Prototype Kilogram, which sits in France in highly secure and stable conditions, and which has been copied for reference in a few locations around the world. Unfortunately it's been discovered that the mass of the IPK has changed over the years, which has technically meant that a kilogram has changed over the years (and thus every measurement that uses the kilogram has also changed). Therefore the decision has been made to move away from the artefact to a constant, like the other measurements.

I just wanna know if I've gained or lost weight.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I just wanna know if I've gained or lost weight.

The number would have gone up, because the IPK has lost mass meaning a kilogram is officially less than it used to be.

It's impossible to finish the original Pacman arcade cabinet. At level 256 the game will load a broken maze, with the right hand side made of glitched tiles of nonsense. This is because the game was originally developed with its level counter as a single byte, meaning it only has the ability to compute 256 distinct values (0 - 255). When you hit level 256 you exceed this, causing the buffer to overflow and for data to be overwritten, hence the broken map being loaded.

It's unlikely most people would ever hit this level because it would require you to play for literally hours at a high level, but has been achieved by competitive players. It also means there is a maximum high score in Pacman, which was achieved by Billy Mitchell, a renowned/infamous classic retro game player, although his world record was revoked earlier this year when it was discovered he had used an emulator to achieve it, and has subsequently been disqualified from competition.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's impossible to finish the original Pacman arcade cabinet. At level 256 the game will load a broken maze, with the right hand side made of glitched tiles of nonsense. This is because the game was originally developed with its level counter as a single byte, meaning it only has the ability to compute 256 distinct values (0 - 255). When you hit level 256 you exceed this, causing the buffer to overflow and for data to be overwritten, hence the broken map being loaded.

It's unlikely most people would ever hit this level because it would require you to play for literally hours at a high level, but has been achieved by competitive players. It also means there is a maximum high score in Pacman, which was achieved by Billy Mitchell, a renowned/infamous classic retro game player, although his world record was revoked earlier this year when it was discovered he had used an emulator to achieve it, and has subsequently been disqualified from competition.

We got a Pac Man Kill Screen over here!

Edit: also being pedantic, Mitchell's record WAS disqualified, but he was only caught using an emulator for Donkey Kong. But they wiped all of his records as a result.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

A similar problem to Pacman happens in the original Donkey Kong arcade cabinet. When reaching level 22, the game loads a level with a 4 second time limit, making the level impossible to complete.

This is caused by the level time limit being calculated by an algorithm, clashing the timer being based on an 8 bit variable. The limit algorithm is calculated as 10 x (level number + 4), meaning at level 22 the calculation is 10x(22+4), or 260. The 8 bit timer however rolls over at 256, meaning you get an impossible 4 second time limit.

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are 431 households in the West Midlands that still only use a Black and White Television. 7000 households nationwide (figures for monochrome TV licences issued)

How do they receive a digital signal? I would have thought a b&w set wouldn't even have the right connection sockets for a digital set top box. 

On 23/10/2018 at 05:01, chrisp65 said:

The department store toy shop we had when I was a kid had shelves of kits. Revell and Airfix were at different price points I think I remember, plus each kit would be individually priced, so generally bottom price was a crap plane by Revell and top dollar would be a Lancaster or Superfortress by Airfix.
But this pre dates bar codes. So the trick was to select the model kit you wanted, and the price sticker you wanted, and put them together.
Woman on the till didn’t know her Fokkers from her Hellcats, so she just rung up the number on the sticker.
They went bust eventually.

My dad used to make the Airfix planes for me when I was a little kid so by the time I was 5 I had tons of WW2 planes hung from my ceiling by sowing thread in various different dog fight positions. It was awesome. I miss my dad :( 

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

My dad used to make the Airfix planes for me when I was a little kid so by the time I was 5 I had tons of WW2 planes hung from my ceiling by sowing thread in various different dog fight positions. It was awesome. I miss my dad :( 

As a kid I always made the Tamiya models, much better than Airfix or Revell

2 hours ago, bickster said:

As a kid I always made the Tamiya models, much better than Airfix or Revell

I made some of the Tamiyas. But they were expensive, and (irrc) a different scale to the British and US kits? I know I made some 1/32 scale tanks, but I preferred the 1/76 Airfix vehicles. Hasegawa did some 1/72 tanks, but even that small difference offended my geeky perfection. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tamiya's standard scale for military land vehicles is 1/35 (and has been for donkeys years. They are famous for continuing to release models for decades, you can still buy kits they first released in the 70s). They also have made some bigger scales, like 1/16 tanks, which are **** enormous.

Â