Europa Conference League 23/24

Made In Aston

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

. . . so, all of them then? :D

No not quite 😀, as Betis, Rangers and Sparta Prague are all in the same group and the same applies to Ajax and AEK Athens and only one in both groups can drop down to the Conference.

Hopefully we can top the group as it would be very useful to have 3 months to concentrate on domestic matters.

The draw for the Round of 32 is on Monday week. If we top the group, the draw for the Round 16 would be until the Round of 32 is completed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

"UEFA has fined Legia Warsaw €100k and banned the club from selling tickets to its away supporters for their next five European games. They have also been ordered to contact Villa to pay for the damage caused by their fans in Birmingham."

They didn't sell the tickets for the game against us.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, limpid said:

They didn't sell the tickets for the game against us.

That’s a good point… I suppose UEFA can’t really prevent idiots from travelling abroad as it’s outside of their powers, so this is all they can do. It does seem to penalise the ones who did buy tickets, rather than the yobbos that didn’t and caused trouble though (assuming there were at least some genuine Legia fans with tickets)

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

That’s a good point… I suppose UEFA can’t really prevent idiots from travelling abroad as it’s outside of their powers, so this is all they can do. It does seem to penalise the ones who did buy tickets, rather than the yobbos that didn’t and caused trouble though (assuming there were at least some genuine Legia fans with tickets)

It's definitely not all UEFA can do! UEFA must be naive to believe that some Legia fans wont try to access home areas at their next 5 UEFA competitive away games and the potential for more violence is accordingly significant. Legia fans would not try to attend matches they weren't involved in, so an outright ban for the next time they qualify for European competition would have been the safest appropriate punishment.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, brommy said:

It's definitely not all UEFA can do! UEFA must be naive to believe that some Legia fans wont try to access home areas at their next 5 UEFA competitive away games and the potential for more violence is accordingly significant. Legia fans would not try to attend matches they weren't involved in, so an outright ban for the next time they qualify for European competition would have been the safest appropriate punishment.

They can punish the team further, absolutely, but they can’t stop the movement of people… unless the idiots got deported for football violence then that helpfully might stop them travelling in the future but that would be down to the European police/customs/immigration to sort out with rather than UEFA themselves I believe

18 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

They can punish the team further, absolutely, but they can’t stop the movement of people… unless the idiots got deported for football violence then that helpfully might stop them travelling in the future but that would be down to the European police/customs/immigration to sort out with rather than UEFA themselves I believe

They wouldn't need to 'stop the movement of people' for the next European campaign if Legia were banned from it. It's possible to argue that Legia's violence hasn't risen to the level where that is a fair punishment (I'm not sure I agree, but it's an argument someone could make) but if that argument is made then it's fair to point out in response that this punishment wouldn't have changed much if anything about the scenes at VP and that consequently, there's every reason to expect a repeat next time Legia are in Europe. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

They wouldn't need to 'stop the movement of people' for the next European campaign if Legia were banned from it. It's possible to argue that Legia's violence hasn't risen to the level where that is a fair punishment (I'm not sure I agree, but it's an argument someone could make) but if that argument is made then it's fair to point out in response that this punishment wouldn't have changed much if anything about the scenes at VP and that consequently, there's every reason to expect a repeat next time Legia are in Europe. 

Yeah that’s true. I suppose this was a very serious situation so that sort of ban would likely be warranted… even if it penalises the ‘good’ supporters 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Django_Zooms said:

"UEFA has fined Legia Warsaw €100k and banned the club from selling tickets to its away supporters for their next five European games. They have also been ordered to contact Villa to pay for the damage caused by their fans in Birmingham."

UEFA pillow-fist rocket polishers.

Way too lenient on the psycho plumbers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

UEFA aren't going to change their decision but what they should do is openly publicise a warning that if Legia fans are found to contravene the ban (celebrating or kicking off in home sections of away matches might reveal this), then Legia will be expelled from the remaining competition and for the next season they qualify.

I'll be surprised if Legia's away fan ban doesn't lead to an issue, no matter how minor, caused by their fans in home sections but I have little faith in UEFA acting appropriately on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

if AZ Alkmaar best Legia tonight, AZ go through in second spot dont they? (as they would have beaten Legia both home and away, and when on same points AZ would qualify due to head to heads?)

Yes it's basically winner takes all

• Like 1

Â