Europa Conference League 23/24

Made In Aston

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone know what happens next stage? So for example if you finiah top of group to 2nd ? Does it mean 2nds get grouped differently from winners who are seeded and cant play each fir this round?

It's a massive advantage to win the group, you go straight into the last 16.

Second place teams play an extra round in February against teams that have dropped down from Europa League.

• Thanks 1

On 03/11/2023 at 09:16, Wainy316 said:

It's a massive advantage to win the group, you go straight into the last 16.

Second place teams play an extra round in February against teams that have dropped down from Europa League.

Thanks we need to win the group then. I was concerned if we have already qualified as 2nd, we go on and field a weak side vs legia. We need to settle the score with them after 1st game

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Provided we beat Mostar away yeah

Well, I thought if we beat Legia by 2 goals we go 3 points ahead of them, so that if our head to head is definitely better, there's no way they can overtake us on the last game. Or is the Mostar game first?

26 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Well, I thought if we beat Legia by 2 goals we go 3 points ahead of them, so that if our head to head is definitely better, there's no way they can overtake us on the last game. Or is the Mostar game first?

Oh yes they lost to Alkmaar didn't they.  I was thinking they'd won all their games.  We just need to beat them then and then worry about Mostar (which is the final game and we'd only need a draw).

On 10/11/2023 at 12:28, Ouchmefoot said:

If we beat Legia 1-0, 2-1 or by 2 goals we win the the group.

The Mostar game would then be irrelevant because only Legia could catch us and they would be placed below us because of the head-to-head record

Can you explain the 1-0 and 2-1 please? I get the 2 goal thing, because we would have won and lost against Legia and would have a better goal difference against them in those games. But if we win 1-0 why does that guarantee we win the group? Surely we'd have equal goal difference and equal goals scored, so then it becomes ordinary goal difference across the table doesn't it?

On 11/11/2023 at 19:42, Lichfield Dean said:

Can you explain the 1-0 and 2-1 please? I get the 2 goal thing, because we would have won and lost against Legia and would have a better goal difference against them in those games. But if we win 1-0 why does that guarantee we win the group? Surely we'd have equal goal difference and equal goals scored, so then it becomes ordinary goal difference across the table doesn't it?

OK, having checked the official rules I was perhaps over optimistic about the 1-0, 2-1. Another site said that it went to away goals if scores are equal, which it turns out is wrong and only applies much later on (point g)

TL;DR yep you are right. 2 goal win = win group, 1-0, 2-1 = goal difference across the table after the Mostar game.

I found the official rules which are:

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied in the order given to determine their rankings:

a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
d. if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria e) to k) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal;
e. superior goal difference in all group matches;
f. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
g. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
h. higher number of wins in all group matches;
i. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
j. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received by players and team officials in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
k. higher club coefficient

This is from the official UEFA page (https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-Europa-Conference-League-2023/24/Article-16-Equality-of-points-group-stage-Online)

Edited by Ouchmefoot
Didn't add link, got a warning
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if, after having applied criteria a) to c), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to c) are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings

What does that mean?

On 13/11/2023 at 12:41, Ouchmefoot said:

I think it means it moves to points, goal difference and then goals scored against the other teams in the group.

But if, after equal results between two teams, they are still level, it then goes to a difference in points (a) against other teams in the group, they wouldn't be level to even start the comparison.

It should state that it goes to goal difference (b) and then goals scored (c) and NOT even reference points (a).

13 minutes ago, brommy said:

But if, after equal results between two teams, they are still level, it then goes to a difference in points (a) against other teams in the group, they wouldn't be level to even start the comparison.

It should state that it goes to goal difference (b) and then goals scored (c) and NOT even reference points (a).

Yep, I agree,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the europa teams dropping down to conference league not many major teams to worry about. Toughest probably being olympiakos but i would fancy our chances against them.

Glad west ham and brighton look to have qualified along with liverplop.

There is a possibility villareal or rangers could drop in but both 2nd in their groups at the mo

Â