Europa Conference League 23/24

Made In Aston

21 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Typical of our luck.

One of the worst West Ham teams of recent years walks the competition against largely dross, then overnight it becomes filled with decent teams just in time for our arrival, and we get drawn in a group we might not even get out of.

We’ll 100% get out of the group. Give it time to find our rhythm. 

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to create this thread, but now they have I'll move it from match fourm to match forum as the competition proceeds, as I said when the original thread was locked.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So hang on. If we win the group we go in to the quarter finals so only have 4 extra games to get to the final?  For some reason I thought there’d be a lot more games. 

Maybe we can win this and have a crack at top 5 after all!

Edit: sorry just realised we go to last 16. So 6 extra games. Guess they all add up.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

Anyone know why Warsaw are above us in the table with a worse goal difference?

It must go to head to head results before goal difference. We may well have to beat them at home to make certain of finishing above them.

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

It must go to head to head results before goal difference. We may well have to beat them at home to make certain of finishing above them.

That’s bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

1 minute ago, rjw63 said:

That’s bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Yeah I agree. The head to head scores should come after goal difference. I am not sure why this rule has changed.

Hopefully it won’t come to that.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Very odd if that is the case.

Yeah, I have checked the tables on the bbc and @rjw63 is correct. We are currently in second place.

edit. Also on UEFA.Com so must be the case.

Edited by NeilS
Add extra info

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

I agree, sorry, my post should have read very odd format/rule.

I'm sure it won't matter come the end of the group stage.  😎

Yeah hopefully we just keep winning, then there won’t be an issue. 😀

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Well, in the spirit of this competition (massively overcomplicating things for no reason), here are the rules:

The teams are ranked by points won during the group stage. Three points are awarded for a win, one point is awarded for a tie and no points for a loss. According to UEFA, if tied on points the following tiebreaking criteria are applied:

1. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question.

2. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question.

3. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question.

4. higher number of goals scored away from home in the group matches played among the teams in question.

If after having applied criteria 1. through 4., teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1. through 4. are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5. through 12. apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal.

5. superior goal difference in all group matches.

6. higher number of goals scored in all group matches.

7. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches.

8. higher number of wins in all group matches.

9. higher number of away wins in all group matches.

10. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points).

11. higher club coefficient.

TL;DR

Effectively head-to-head results.....

So, if we end up level on points with them at the end of the group stage, we would have needed to beat them 1-0 or 2-1 at Villa park to be above them under rule 4, or just win by 2 goals outright to be above them under rule 2. We could also afford to have beaten them 3-2 if we have an overall better GD.

Best plan is just to score more points than them.

• Thanks 2

Couldn't see any suitable pages to put a question on so thought I'd start a new thread.

Can anyone explain why we are second in our group in Europe now, despite having superior goals scored and goal difference? Level on points with Legia Warsaw now but how are they deciding who goes top?

4 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Couldn't see any suitable pages to put a question on so thought I'd start a new thread.

Can anyone explain why we are second in our group in Europe now, despite having superior goals scored and goal difference? Level on points with Legia Warsaw now but how are they deciding who goes top?

Apparently because as poster noted above the " head to head ".

Us and Legia are on the same points, we have a better goal difference, but they beat us in our match etc

9 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Apparently because as poster noted above the " head to head ".

Us and Legia are on the same points, we have a better goal difference, but they beat us in our match etc

Will just have to destroy them at Villa Park for the cheek of it 

• Like 1

Â