Europa Conference League 23/24

Made In Aston

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The semi-finals seem late or maybe I am just out of the loop for fixture dates. It would be nice for all fans to have more than 20 days to plan for the final.

I'm sure the UEFA and Carlsberg executives will be fine to get their visit to Athens sorted. 

• Like 2

Aston Villa have released their squad for the rest of the Conference League. Rules are that you could register up to 3 new players for the next stage. Villa have added the new signings in Gauci and Rogers and removed Traore and Dendoncker. Iroegbunam has been selected ahead of Chambers who has been omitted. No places also for Kaine Kesler-Hayden or Omari Kellyman.

Goalkeepers: Emiliano Martinez, Joe Gauci, Robin Olsen, Filip Marschall (B), James Wright (B)

Defenders: Matty Cash, Diego Carlos, Ezri Konsa, Lucas Digne, Pau Torres, Alex Moreno, Clement Lenglet, Ben Chrisene (B), Sil Swinkels (B), Jayden Barber (B), Josh Feeney (B), Aaron O’Reilly (B), Frankie Ealing (B), Finley Munroe (B)

Midfielders: Douglas Luiz, John McGinn, Youri Tielemans, Jacob Ramsey, Tim Iroegbunam, Boubacar Kamara, Edward Rowe (B), Taylor-Jay Hart (B), Ajani Burchall (B), Tommi O’Reilly (B), Travis Patterson (B), Kyrie Pierre (B), Kadan Young (B)

Forwards: Ollie Watkins, Moussa Diaby, Nicolo Zaniolo, Jhon Duran, Morgan Rogers, Leon Bailey

The competition returns next week with the two legs on February 15th and February 22nd.

Villa enter at the Last 16 stage. The draw for that is set for Friday February 23rd at 12:00pm with the first leg to be played on March 7th and the second leg the following week.

Edited by Ceemo
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Frankfurt are about to lose their manager to Palace. 

In a world where small wins are MAMMOTH wins at the moment for Villa, destabilising a rival is something I'll take!

2 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Looks like Frankfurt are about to lose their manager to Palace. 

In a world where small wins are MAMMOTH wins at the moment for Villa, destabilising a rival is something I'll take!

The linked manager left Frankfurt last summer 

Fixtures today:
Molde vs Legia - 17:45
Olympiacos vs Ferencvaros - 17:45
Sturm Graz vs Slovan Bratislava - 17:45
Union St-Gilloise vs Eintracht Frankfurt - 17:45

Ajax vs Bodo Glimt - 20:00
Maccabi Haifa vs Gent - 20:00
Real Betis vs Dinamo Zagreb - 20:00
Servette vs Ludogorets - 20:00

I see that TNT are running their goals show tonight that they normally for the Champions League group stage which will combine the Europa League ties as well.

I guess that we will, as one of the eight group winners, be seeded in the round of 16? If so, we would be facing one of the above. It would be Ajax and Henderson wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Hang on we can't play Chambers or KKH in these matches? That could bite us in the ass couldn't it..

Given we have Kamara in the squad, hopefully we would be able to add one of those to the squad. 🤞 

5 minutes ago, John said:

I guess that we will, as one of the eight group winners, be seeded in the round of 16? If so, we would be facing one of the above. It would be Ajax and Henderson wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Yes as winners of the group we can't play any of group winner.  I also don't think we can play the team who finished second in our own group. 

• Thanks 1

Just to confirm, we will face one of the winners of these 8 ties.

Half-times in the early kick-offs:
Sturm Graz 2-1 Slovan Bratislava
Union St Gilloise 1-2 Eintracht Frankfurt
Molde 3-0 Legia Warsaw
Olympiacos 0-0 Ferencvaros

Legia are getting absolutely walloped by Molde and they have been unable to deal with their counter attack. Some poor keeping by Tobiaz hasn't helped.

Frankfurt have looked impressive in Belgium. St Gilloise lead the Belgian League by 8pts but Frankfurt have been on top throughout and only for a silly backpass, they would have been more comfortable.

Edited by Ceemo
  • Thanks 1

Fulll-times in the early kick-offs:
Sturm Graz 4-1 Slovan Bratislava
Union St Gilloise 2-2 Eintracht Frankfurt
Molde 3-2 Legia Warsaw
Olympiacos 1-0 Ferencvaros

A triple sub at half-time for Legia spurred them on to a comeback as Molde got deeper and deeper and now Legia are possibly favourites to come through. Saint-Gilloise improved after the break and got a deserved equaliser. A late red card halted that however and in the end Frankfurt will be happy enough with the result. Strum Graz are pretty much through and Olympiacos picked up a narrow win against Ferencvaros with it still all to be played for next week.

• Like 2

Full times in the late kick-offs:
Servette 0-0 Ludogorets
Real Betis 0-1 Dinamo Zagreb
Ajax 2-2 Bodo/Glimt
Maccabi Haifa 1-0 Gent

Surprise result with Dinamo Zagreb going to Seville and winning. Betis though tend to have these type of results in Europe as they often have lots of possession without a cutting edge. They could still easily turn it around in Zagreb however as they do have the players.
Ajax managed to level the tie against Bodo/Glimt with two late goals. Bodo/Glimt for so long had been comfortable but even despite those last few minutes, they will be confident of winning at home.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Galway Lion said:

Come on Molde ! Three up at halftime against Legia. Don’t want them scumbags in Brum.

No, we will probably meet them in Athens! :D

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

So out of all of the ties, how many of them are the europa league side ahead of the 2nd place conference teams? Just getting a gauge of the difference in quality between the two competitions.

4-1 to the Europa League, with 3 ending all square. 

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

I actually want to get Legia in the next round so I could (hopefully) go to the game in Warsaw this time, though I would be concerned about the home tie if they are even allowed to have fans.

18 hours ago, ender4 said:

Yes as winners of the group we can't play any of group winner.  I also don't think we can play the team who finished second in our own group. 

We could face them - it's 8 group winners seeded (second leg at home) and 8 play-off round winners unseeded. The only restriction is that teams from the same association can't play each other.

For the following stages, the draws are all without seedings or association restrictions.

Edited by fightoffyour

Getting one of Servette or Ludogrets would be the preferred opponent I guess? There's a few match ups where either team wouldn't be too bad, as well as a few where neither team is a good option.

Going to be interesting seeing who gets through for both the extra champions league spots and who we might face.

Â