Europa Conference League 23/24

Made In Aston

plzen, PAOK, or brugge please

fiorentina should be beatable, just would be worried about going there and getting stabbed

lille or fenerbahce (and maybe olympiakos) are the only ones that really worry me

• Like 1

Nice result. Shambles getting home. Didn’t think would have to walk against hundreds of Ajax fans to try and get to a train station. Most were fine but one or two were getting a bit funny. Ironic the police do so much to split fans then let some go through them like that. 

Has anyone said how ****-ing incredible it is to have this forum topic -- to be talking quarter-finals in Europe, to be speculatin' and prognosticatin' on whether we would prefer Fiorentina or Lille or Olympiakos (none of them, please!!!!!).

So happy. This is golden this year -- golden.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

plzen, PAOK, or brugge please

fiorentina should be beatable, just would be worried about going there and getting stabbed

lille or fenerbahce (and maybe olympiakos) are the only ones that really worry me

Spot on. Less worried about Olympiakos, but Fenerbahce and Lille are both very dangerous. 

Just to round-up the results from tonight:
Aston Villa 4-0 Ajax - 4-0 on aggregate
Club Brugge 3-0 Molde - 4-2 on aggregate
Maccabi Tel Aviv 1-6 Olympiacos - 5-7 on aggregate
Lille 1-1 Sturm Graz - 4-1 on aggregate
PAOK 5-1 Dinamo Zagreb - 5-3 on aggregate
Fiorentina 1-1 Maccabi Haifa - 5-4 on aggregate
Viktoria Plzen 0-0 Servette - 0-0 on aggregate, Viktoria Plzen won on penalties
Fenerbahce 0-1 Union Saint-Gilloise - 3-1 on aggregate

One of the most amazing comebacks of all time from Olympiacos. 4-1 defeat at home in the first leg, they somehow hammered Tel Aviv. PAOK were another side to turn around their tie as they trashed Dinamo Zagreb with a terrific display.
Club Brugge are another team not to be taken lightly as they beat Molde convincingly. Lille strolled through in second gear against Sturm Graz. Fiorentina were made to sweat at the end against Haifa but were deserved winners. Plzen overcame Servette after 210 minutes without a goal on penalties, whilst Union Saint-Gilloise's impressive season includes a victory in Istanbul, but last weeks damage could not be reversed.

So draw tomorrow at 1pm.

We play Arsenal away 3 days after the first leg and Bournemouth 3 days after the second leg. Personally I would like to avoid Fenerbahce for a couple of reasons. Trip to Turkey would not be ideal at this part of the season and the hostile atmosphere would not be welcome and they are a decent side. PAOK and Olympiacos similarly would be not ideal away trips even if we should beat them over the 2 legs.
Fiorentina and Lille would be the hardest draws on paper probably, whilst Club Brugge are a good side and have a £30 million future Premier League striker in their side.
Viktoria Plzen for me would be the best draw even if they have been excellent in Europe this season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Has anyone said how ****-ing incredible it is to have this forum topic -- to be talking quarter-finals in Europe, to be speculatin' and prognosticatin' on whether we would prefer Fiorentina or Lille or Olympiakos (none of them, please!!!!!).

So happy. This is golden this year -- golden.

Ahem to that.

Plzen or Brugge please. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ceemo said:

Just to round-up the results from tonight:
Aston Villa 4-0 Ajax - 4-0 on aggregate
Club Brugge 3-0 Molde - 4-2 on aggregate
Maccabi Tel Aviv 1-6 Olympiacos - 5-7 on aggregate
Lille 1-1 Sturm Graz - 4-1 on aggregate
PAOK 5-1 Dinamo Zagreb - 5-3 on aggregate
Fiorentina 1-1 Maccabi Haifa - 5-4 on aggregate
Viktoria Plzen 0-0 Servette - 0-0 on aggregate, Viktoria Plzen won on penalties
Fenerbahce 0-1 Union Saint-Gilloise - 3-1 on aggregate

One of the most amazing comebacks of all time from Olympiacos. 4-1 defeat at home in the first leg, they somehow hammered Tel Aviv. PAOK were another side to turn around their tie as they trashed Dinamo Zagreb with a terrific display.
Club Brugge are another team not to be taken lightly as they beat Molde convincingly. Lille strolled through in second gear against Sturm Graz. Fiorentina were made to sweat at the end against Haifa but were deserved winners. Plzen overcame Servette after 210 minutes without a goal on penalties, whilst Union Saint-Gilloise's impressive season includes a victory in Istanbul, but last weeks damage could not be reversed.

So draw tomorrow at 1pm.

We play Arsenal away 3 days after the first leg and Bournemouth 3 days after the second leg. Personally I would like to avoid Fenerbahce for a couple of reasons. Trip to Turkey would not be ideal at this part of the season and the hostile atmosphere would not be welcome and they are a decent side. PAOK and Olympiacos similarly would be not ideal away trips even if we should beat them over the 2 legs.
Fiorentina and Lille would be the hardest draws on paper probably, whilst Club Brugge are a good side and have a £30 million future Premier League striker in their side.
Viktoria Plzen for me would be the best draw even if they have been excellent in Europe this season.

Great round-up, and yup, you hit all the salient issues, IMO. I don't know if Fred is free of injury at the moment, but last time I saw him playing for Fenerbahçe last fall -- supremely confident, poised, a playmaker -- I was like, what happened to the end-of-career-ManU Fred? He was not that man. The home atmosphere there was ... frightening. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos

The key is travel. The shortest distance and most convenient match times please. 

We can beat anyone, but with horrific travel we could also beat ourselves in future games.

On the one hand, you want to avoid the Greek sides for the travel distance (and PAOK in particular look to have a decent squad). But it also seems to me that you want both Greek sides eliminated before the final, so drawing them and getting rid of one of them now would not be the worst thing. 

On the other hand, Viktoria Plzen look very weak for a side in the QFs of a continental competition and you'd like to think we could progress through that without too much challenge. 

Fenerbahce would be a very tough draw for multiple reasons. 

Â