Europa Conference League 23/24

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Made In Aston

18 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

Anyone know why the Brugge-Fiorentina 2nd leg is being played on the Wednesday?

I think it's probably because the Belgian Cup final is on Thursday 9th @ 14:30 between Union St. Gilloise and Royal Antwerp. They may just want that to be the country's sole focus on the day, or maybe there could be policing issues around having two such high profile potentially problematic fixtures on.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I assume we would prefer to play Brugge in the final if we get that far? 

You would think Fiorentina would be all out to avenge last years final defeat so yes. I'd say Brugge is better.

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 15:04, villa89 said:

I assume we would prefer to play Brugge in the final if we get that far? 

That would be great, seeing as Brugge has always been my team since I was kid.

Edited by AXD

Olympiacos are no mugs, dropped from the Europa league and beat West Ham in the group stages, however tonights game was a bit of a freak game and we were masters of our own downfall.

Macabi Haifa beat them 1-4 away in the last 16 and we're more than capable of beating them by at least 2 goals, won't be an easy game but we're still very much in it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaJay said:

Olympiacos are no mugs, dropped from the Europa league and beat West Ham in the group stages, however tonights game was a bit of a freak game and we were masters of our own downfall.

Macabi Haifa beat them 1-4 away in the last 16 and we're more than capable of beating them by at least 2 goals, won't be an easy game but we're still very much in it.

Just need a decent ref 

I think with West Ham winning last year, a lot of our fans thought we just had to turn up and we would win the tournament. Have now lost 3 games already in the competition and have struggled at times against a lot of teams we played

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think with West Ham winning last year, a lot of our fans thought we just had to turn up and we would win the tournament. Have now lost 3 games already in the competition and have struggled at times against a lot of teams we played

West Ham focused a lot more on Europe than we have. Our best CB rested last night in the semi final for example. Their form in the PL wasn't good while they were going well in Europe whereas we are competing for 4th place which our manager has confirmed is our number one target. If we could coast along in Mid table we would have been a lot better in Europe. Plus our injury situation has really screwed us over, Ramsey, Kamara, Youri, Buendia all unavailable last night so we have to play Luiz until he can't move anymore. Olympiakos rested 8 first Teamers ahead of the game last night. Lille got the week off before our games. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, turvontour said:

It's interesting the bookies have us as odds on to win the second leg, and basically second favourites to win the competition behind Fiorentina. 

Really? Suprised on that

7 hours ago, turvontour said:

It's interesting the bookies have us as odds on to win the second leg, and basically second favourites to win the competition behind Fiorentina. 

That's just the bookies who either haven't got round to changing their odds yet, or already have a lot of punters who had already bet on Villa to win. 

Look at Betfair with it's live odds for example...

Fiorentina - 1.5 /1

Olympiacos - 2.1 /1

Villa - 4.3 /1

Club Brugge - 6.6 /1

• Like 1

Â