Europa Conference League 23/24

Made In Aston

2 hours ago, John said:

Coral have us evens favourites to lift the trophy and Olympiacos are at 9/1. Those bookies know their stuff, they've had us favourites since the start.  

This drives me mad .... I'm sorry. Bookies respond to betting patterns and don't have some magic insight. If anything you might point to The wisdom of the crowd, where competing punters are the crowd.

Aristotle is credited as the first person to write about the "wisdom of the crowd" in his work Politics. According to Aristotle, "it is possible that the many, though not individually good men, yet when they come together may be better, not individually but collectively ...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

First leg at home, no penalty shootout to worry about, stick 3 or 4 past them and we’re happy to play away to book another trip to Greece at the end of the month. European final on a warm day in May, ring any Bells??? UTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they claret and blue, claret and blue?

23 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

This drives me mad .... I'm sorry. Bookies respond to betting patterns and don't have some magic insight. If anything you might point to The wisdom of the crowd, where competing punters are the crowd.

There are staff that the bookmakers employ specifically to make the odds on racing, football, cricket etc. They do have regard to the bets already placed, but also to form. Their job relies on them getting it right more often than not and that determination is influenced by, but not over reliant on betting patterns, they have to use their own sporting knowledge too.  

Interesting....scouser said to me about the farmers comp we are in so i admit i took the bait....

Based on uefa coeffient club rankings

We have played AZ 42 Ajax 24 Lille 44 and Olympiakos to come 48

Only top 50 team they played was Atalanta who battered them!

Gave me a good come back but I also thinks the strength of some of the teams we have played - Fiorintina 50th and Bruge 25th means IF we got through we would face another 

On 19/04/2024 at 01:37, Follyfoot said:

They any good? 

I watched the extra time between Olympiakos and Fenerbahce and wasn't much impressed by either. Olympiakos is the dominant power in Greek football (47 league titles all time compared to 40 for everyone else combined), but after a run of 19 titles in 21 years, they've won "only" 3 of the last 6. They are currently 4th in a close 4-way title race. In short, they've regressed to the level of the rest of Greek football. I'm not saying that it will be easy, but a 4th place Premier League team should not lose to them over two legs.

Edited by TomC

52 minutes ago, TomC said:

I watched the extra time between Olympiakos and Fenerbahce and wasn't much impressed by either. Olympiakos is the dominant power in Greek football (47 league titles all time compared to 40 for everyone else combined), but after a run of 19 titles in 21 years, they've won "only" 3 of the last 6. They are currently 4th in a close 4-way title race. In short, they've regressed to the level of the rest of Greek football. I'm not saying that it will be easy, but a 4th place Premier League team should not lose to them over two legs.

Suprised to see them as big as 7/1 

Same price as Sheffield United to beat Man Utd at OT on Wednesday! 

Edited by Kingman

Just a thought and I’m not getting ahead of myself here because I think it applies whoever gets to the final but it seems crazy that the final will take place in a 32000 capacity stadium. It’s smaller than 3 of the 4 semi finalist stadium and probably smaller than 50% of the premier league grounds. I would say if we got to the final we could sell that out twice over easily and probably the same for fiorentina maybe when the other 2 sides as well. Seems odd to me given the likehood is that the final will in most seasons have a at least one finalist from Italy, England, Germany or France and probably very often both sides will come from those countries and take a decent support. I know the are some “small” teams from smaller nations but I still would have thought uefa might have the foresight to put this final in a bigger ground 

• Like 1

i think that's a UEFA thinking problem. I think they invented this competition to give smaller teams a chance of success in Europe and picked the stadiums for finals to match that idea - the problem is that beyond the 'giants' of the Champions league there are a large number of really good clubs with massive histories that have been slightly marginalised because of Champions league and TV money - those teams don't have 10,000 fans who want to go to a final, they have 80,000 - and I think once UEFA realise the actual nature of the competition they created, they'll start looking at the same quality of stadium they use for their other finals.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

i think that's a UEFA thinking problem. I think they invented this competition to give smaller teams a chance of success in Europe and picked the stadiums for finals to match that idea - the problem is that beyond the 'giants' of the Champions league there are a large number of really good clubs with massive histories that have been slightly marginalised because of Champions league and TV money - those teams don't have 10,000 fans who want to go to a final, they have 80,000 - and I think once UEFA realise the actual nature of the competition they created, they'll start looking at the same quality of stadium they use for their other finals.

Haven't they already done that, in next year's final is in a 40k stadium? The first one was in Tirana with a ridiculous capacity of twenty odd thousand when they ended up with Roma and Feyenoord playing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Haven't they already done that, in next year's final is in a 40k stadium? The first one was in Tirana with a ridiculous capacity of twenty odd thousand when they ended up with Roma and Feyenoord playing.

They're getting there - next years final could be Man Utd against Valencia though - they really should be looking at 60k plus for all of their finals.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

They're getting there - next years final could be Man Utd against Valencia though - they really should be looking at 60k plus for all of their finals.

Perhaps they genuinely thought the higher placed sides in the weaker leagues would progress more to the final than so far Italian, , English and Dutch sides. Or they want to clearly distinguish it from the Europa by picking smaller venues. But as a minimum it should be 40-50 K, with maybe Europa at 50-60 and CL finals 70 plus.

• Like 1

So similar to Lille, the Greek League has pushed back the end of their season by a week and so allowed Olympiacos a week between both legs with no game in between.

22 hours ago, Ceemo said:

So similar to Lille, the Greek League has pushed back the end of their season by a week and so allowed Olympiacos a week between both legs with no game in between.

We beat Lille even with them getting a week off. Sometimes I’m not sure it’s as much of an advantage in reality as it looks on paper especially with the way we play 

On 25/04/2024 at 18:05, punkiller1981 said:

We beat Lille even with them getting a week off. Sometimes I’m not sure it’s as much of an advantage in reality as it looks on paper especially with the way we play 

They should have won the game though.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2024 at 13:41, cb_82 said:

Fiorintina 50th and Bruge 25th means IF we got through we would face another

If it's a Villa / Fiorentina final, save for a) some moment of magic from Bonaventura or González or b) some colossal brainfart performance by Villa, the final is going to be a slaughter.  Fiorentina have just about managed to squeak through to the semis via some very poor teams, have been perennial choke artists whenever they've had any recent sniff of silverware, form has absolutely nosedived since the new year and they're already bracing for another summer of turmoil (talk of having to sell González to fund another overhaul of the squad) as Italiano won't sign a new contract so is as good as gone come the end of the season.  All that against the backdrop of Joe Barone's death as well.

• Like 2

Â