Europa Conference League 23/24

Made In Aston

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I actually want to get Legia in the next round so I could (hopefully) go to the game in Warsaw this time, though I would be concerned about the home tie if they are even allowed to have fans.

We could face them - it's 8 group winners seeded (second leg at home) and 8 play-off round winners unseeded. The only restriction is that teams from the same association can't play each other.

For the following stages, the draws are all without seedings or association restrictions.

I suspect they wouldn't  let our fans go IF we got them, they would get an absolute beating 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, calcifer said:

I suspect they wouldn't  let our fans go IF we got them, they would get an absolute beating 

Legia would get a beating from our plucky away fans? Would they? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YLN said:

Legia would get a beating from our plucky away fans? Would they? 

lol! Our fans would get a beating. Would be a behind-closed door job.

I see Legia are 100/1 to win the cup with Coral, with Slovan the rank outsiders @ 200/1. We remain the hot favourites @ 11/4, with Real Betis @ 14/1 the only Europa League team in the first 7 clubs in the betting. The bookies are always right! 🤞 

11 minutes ago, John said:

I see Legia are 100/1 to win the cup with Coral, with Slovan the rank outsiders @ 200/1. We remain the hot favourites @ 11/4, with Real Betis @ 14/1 the only Europa League team in the first 7 clubs in the betting. The bookies are always right! 🤞 

Surely Frankfurt have to be seen as  a potential winner? Won the Europa a few yrs back and are currently 6th in the Bundesliga. And Fiorentina as well, given they were runners-up last season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Surely Frankfurt have to be seen as  a potential winner? Won the Europa a few yrs back and are currently 6th in the Bundesliga. And Fiorentina as well, given they were runners-up last season.

Third and second favourites respectively at 8/1 and 11/2. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, John said:

Bookies are only always right because they use their special inside knowledge and extensive spy network to find out what's going on.

This purely reacting to bets thing is just far fetched nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was one game in the Conference League this evening with Maccabi Haifa knocking out Gent, 2-1 on aggregate. Interestingly, Gent were at home and due to police advice played behind closed doors due to the risk of protestors/drones etc. Haifa along with Maccabi Tel-Aviv (managed by Robbie Keane) are the 2 remaining Israel sides in the competition and if Villa draw either of them, it may cause big issues.

Also I noticed something today in that yellow cards are only wiped once the quarter-finals are completed, so any players from the group stage until then will face a suspension if they get 3 yellow cards accumulated. From the group stage, various players have 1 yellow card, but McGinn, Diaby and Zaniolo all picked up 2 yellow cards which would leave them close to a suspension. Just something to keep an eye on when European action returns.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

There was one game in the Conference League this evening with Maccabi Haifa knocking out Gent, 2-1 on aggregate. Interestingly, Gent were at home and due to police advice played behind closed doors due to the risk of protestors/drones etc. Haifa along with Maccabi Tel-Aviv (managed by Robbie Keane) are the 2 remaining Israel sides in the competition and if Villa draw either of them, it may cause big issues.

Also I noticed something today in that yellow cards are only wiped once the quarter-finals are completed, so any players from the group stage until then will face a suspension if they get 3 yellow cards accumulated. From the group stage, various players have 1 yellow card, but McGinn, Diaby and Zaniolo all picked up 2 yellow cards which would leave them close to a suspension. Just something to keep an eye on when European action returns.

Was going to say long trip but I assume Tel Aviv are playing at a neutral venue somewhere closer to U.K?

I think we'll mix and match a bit for the first leg (hopefully no Chambers though) to rest 2-3 of our key players for Spurs and then go full strength for the VP return leg.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was going to say long trip but I assume Tel Aviv are playing at a neutral venue somewhere closer to U.K?

I think we'll mix and match a bit for the first leg (hopefully no Chambers though) to rest 2-3 of our key players for Spurs and then go full strength for the VP return leg.

We haven't drawn Tel Aviv or Haifa by the way. The draw is on Friday.

So far, Tel-Aviv have played their home group games in Serbia, while Haifa played the first leg against Gent last week in Hungary.

It would be an absolute travesty if Villa drew one of those sides and had to play the home leg behind closed doors at Villa Park for security reasons if that came to be.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ceemo said:

We haven't drawn Tel Aviv or Haifa by the way. The draw is on Friday.

So far, Tel-Aviv have played their home group games in Serbia, while Haifa played the first leg against Gent last week in Hungary.

It would be an absolute travesty if Villa drew one of those sides and had to play the home leg behind closed doors at Villa Park for security reasons if that came to be.

I was just being hypothetical given the first leg is followed by Spurs which is a huge game in our season. It is also a 1pm kick off so we get hour's less recovery time than all the other Sunday games due to police wanting the Manchester derby kicking off earlier.

So wouldn't want a 4-5 hour trek across europe. Similar distance to Alkmaar would be ideal.

Would've said Rangers would be interesting but they won their group didn't they so can't meet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Does us being a seeded team in the last 16 have any benefit if we get through to the last 8 or does it stop after this round?

Will we always be at home in the second legs or is it pot luck with the draw after this round?

1 hour ago, Cridontour said:

Does us being a seeded team in the last 16 have any benefit if we get through to the last 8 or does it stop after this round?

Will we always be at home in the second legs or is it pot luck with the draw after this round?

Free for all after this round 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Results from last night:
Ajax 0-0 Aston Villa
Molde 2-1 Club Brugge
Olympiacos 1-4 Maccabi Tel Aviv
Sturm Graz 0-3 Lille
Dinamo Zagreb 2-0 PAOK
Maccabi Haifa 3-4 Fiorentina
Servette 0-0 Viktoria Plzen
Union Saint-Gilloise 0-3 Fenerbahce

Impressive result of the night was surely Fenerbahce. Got the early goal and as USG pushed to get an equaliser, they countered and have pretty much sealed the tie. Dangerous side in this competition as they have a very experienced side. Lots of ex-Premier League players with the likes of Soyuncu, Fred, Cengiz Under, Tadic, Batshuayi and Dzeko.
Lille were also very impressive. Could have won by more as well and they have some very talented attackers.
Maccabi Tel Aviv pulled off a shock win in Greece. Led by Robbie Keane, they were 2 up in 10 minutes as Olympiacos' frailties in defence showed up again in Europe.
Molde got a late, late winner to beat Club Brugge, but the Belgians will be confident of turning it around next week.
Fiorentina won a shoot-out in Hungary against Haifa. A late deflected shot by Barak found its way in and they will be there or thereabouts come the end of this competition.
Zagreb looked good against PAOK while Servette and Plzen played out a low-key draw.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

Results from last night:
Ajax 0-0 Aston Villa
Molde 2-1 Club Brugge
Olympiacos 1-4 Maccabi Tel Aviv
Sturm Graz 0-3 Lille
Dinamo Zagreb 2-0 PAOK
Maccabi Haifa 3-4 Fiorentina
Servette 0-0 Viktoria Plzen
Union Saint-Gilloise 0-3 Fenerbahce

Impressive result of the night was surely Fenerbahce. Got the early goal and as USG pushed to get an equaliser, they countered and have pretty much sealed the tie. Dangerous side in this competition as they have a very experienced side. Lots of ex-Premier League players with the likes of Soyuncu, Fred, Cengiz Under, Tadic, Batshuayi and Dzeko.
Lille were also very impressive. Could have won by more as well and they have some very talented attackers.
Maccabi Tel Aviv pulled off a shock win in Greece. Led by Robbie Keane, they were 2 up in 10 minutes as Olympiacos' frailties in defence showed up again in Europe.
Molde got a late, late winner to beat Club Brugge, but the Belgians will be confident of turning it around next week.
Fiorentina won a shoot-out in Hungary against Haifa. A late deflected shot by Barak found its way in and they will be there or thereabouts come the end of this competition.
Zagreb looked good against PAOK while Servette and Plzen played out a low-key draw.

If we managed to get past Ajax Fenerbache would be a tough draw, esp the away leg. Zagreb probably the same with their charming fans. And on paper Lille and Fiorentina should be fairly strong given the leagues they play in.  The winners of Servette-Plzen would be nice.

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

If we managed to get past Ajax Fenerbache would be a tough draw, esp the away leg. Zagreb probably the same with their charming fans. And on paper Lille and Fiorentina should be fairly strong given the leagues they play in.  The winners of Servette-Plzen would be nice.

Forgot as well that Fenerbahce signed Bonucci in the January transfer window, so it's a mad squad really of 30 year-old+ players. Would be horrible to play them with it being a long journey to Turkey and also the hostile atmosphere.

Lille are real dark horses for this competition. Very good defensively with 18 year-old Leny Yoro a potential superstar and a bit of class up top. Paulo Fonseca is also a very good coach.

Lots of decent teams in general in this competition but no world beaters for sure.

So the remaining teams other than Villa are: Fiorentina (8th place Italy), PAOK (2nd place Greece), Fenerbahce (2nd place Turkey), Viktoria Plzen (3rd place Czechia), Lille (4th place France), Club Brugge (3rd place Belgium), and (going to extra time) either Maccabi Tel Aviv (1st place Israel) or Olympiakos (4th place Greece). A few clubs to be respected, but absolutely nobody who strikes fear in my heart or whom we can’t beat over two legs.

Â