Jareth

This team is good. Ultimately it's not 90 point good though. That's the exceptional standard you need to win league titles these days.

Basically means we'd have to win about 18 home games and half the aways.

I do think we can be pretty much around Man. City and Arsenal going into the early December games though looking at the next 6 fixtures and what they have so either we get a reality check in those two games or we actually beat one of them and this thread totally explodes!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

This team is good. Ultimately it's not 90 point good though. That's the exceptional standard you need to win league titles these days.

I do think we can be pretty much around Man. City and Arsenal going into the early December games though looking at the next 6 fixtures and what they have so either we get a reality check in those two games or we actually beat one of them and this thread totally explodes!

It's conceivable that it's closer to 80 points to win the title than 100 this season given the apparent similarity in quality of the top 5 this season, with 6-10 also being able to beat anyone on their day as well since it looks like Chelsea are slowly improving.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It's conceivable that it's closer to 80 points to win the title than 100 this season given the apparent similarity in quality of the top 5 this season, with 6-10 also being able to beat anyone on their day as well since it looks like Chelsea are slowly improving.

Man. City had dropped about 20 points by February last season. They then won about 12 straight games to win the league on 88 points with two to play. They'd have passed 90 points if they'd had to. Man. City will still win the vast majority of home games they play this season but you can get at them away.

I think the good news for us is if the top 3 break away that should mean 4th is slightly lower points wise than the average. Wrong thread to debate that though.😀

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Nah. City will still post 90+ even if they haven’t started as well as they might think.

10 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Nah, the bottom 10 are comparably much worse this season and so all the top teams will pick up more points than usual.  Teams like Luton and Sheffield aren’t going to pull off shocks against the top teams this year. 

9 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Spurs lack the explosiveness of us and Newcastle. They've had much easier fixtures so far.

Palace away, Chelsea, Wolves away, Villa, Man City away and West Ham next for them.

This will show us how good they really are

Was thinking today Spurs have had easier fixtures on balance and didn't have key defender serious injury in opening game. We've put 10 past supposed top 6 challengers in recent weeks

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ender4 said:

Nah, the bottom 10 are comparably much worse this season and so all the top teams will pick up more points than usual.  Teams like Luton and Sheffield aren’t going to pull off shocks against the top teams this year. 

They really are. I thought this pre season... there's a real gap in quality between the top and bottom halves.

If we continue our form, we'll be threatening the top 3. If we push on when injured players come back then the title challenge is on. 

Big if though.

Spurs have yet to be really tested from their opening run, but the confidence their form will give them will help them in this tough run. And they don't have European football to worry about either. They could well be a threat too. 

On 22/10/2023 at 23:33, VillaChris said:

In December 1980 when standing on the Holte I said to my mate, “Do you think we can win it?” He answered, “If we can beat Liverpool in the new year, then we have a good chance yes”. The rest as they say is history. Well we’re playing in Liverpool on 14th January, admittedly sgsinst Everton at Goodison, but hey Ho I’ll take any omen I can! 😅 UTV 

• Like 1

I think with the bottom 4 picking up so few points this season, that we will see pretty large points hauls for the teams in the top half of the table. I think it will be one of those seasons where you will need near on 80+ points for Champions League qualification. One annoying advantage Spurs have on us this season is they have no European competition and they have bailed early in the league cup too. They will have no excuses for being tired in the run in, and I have a horrible feeling they will be the team to keep us out of the CL spots. Let's hope we can keep up with the race and they bottle it. 🤞

I keep seeing similarities between us and man City. And this really interested me.

Villa and Man City have scored twice the amount of goals as Man United and Chelsea so far this season.

Man United and Chelsea have had FIVE times the number of offsides as Villa and Man City so far this season.

It feels like there should be a link here, between goals and offside, but presumably it's just about well managed teams, and players being disciplined and buying into instructions.

Edited by turvontour
  • Like 1

Assuming they continue at their current form, I think staying competitive in the table all season with the top four of City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs would be a mighty achievement. Do that and stay clear of Newcastle and Brighton and we can be very, very happy.

• Like 2

We all know that city, Liverpool and Arsenal will be there or thereabouts.

Spurs have had easy fixtures and have a thin squad and will be impacted by African nations cup as well for 4/5 games as will have a few players that will go away for that. 

• Like 1