Jareth

19 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Tottenham being talked about as title contenders after being gifted a victory at home to Liverpool to take them two points above us.

If them, why not us? Finished higher last season and we've strengthened (but then had major injury setbacks) while they've weakened, manager aside (yet to be really seen though).

Common sense would argue that you are right, the only things I would say are the fact they have far fewer games through not being in Europe, which will help them keep fresher than us you'd think & then of course the ridiculous number of decisions they get being one of the "top 6" as well as a big London club! I mean they're even getting outrageous decisions against the likes of Liverpool now too!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Tottenham being talked about as title contenders after being gifted a victory at home to Liverpool to take them two points above us.

If them, why not us? Finished higher last season and we've strengthened (but then had major injury setbacks) while they've weakened, manager aside (yet to be really seen though).

They've been riding their luck in multiple games already (Brentford were the better team, needed added time to beat Sheff Utd, both goals against Arsenal came from mistakes, the Liverpool debacle) so I'm not convinced just yet of this Angeball revolution. Let them be flavour of the month while we climb the the table unnoticed by the media. 

• Like 1

i think part of the reason i can't get excited about the UECL is because i can see us making a real go for the league and sacking it off when we get to the business end of the season. if not the title, then definitely top 4/5

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

i think part of the reason i can't get excited about the UECL is because i can see us making a real go for the league and sacking it off when we get to the business end of the season. if not the title, then definitely top 4/5

Why do you think that following January additions and lets say, a 5/10 points gap to the 1st place in the league, with a Quarter final trip to Europe in March/April, Unai Emery and the players would decide not to have a go to improve our league standing? 

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Why do you think that following January additions and lets say, a 5/10 points gap to the 1st place in the league, with a Quarter final trip to Europe in March/April, Unai Emery and the players would decide not to have a go to improve our league standing? 

because so far in the UECL i've not seen a huge amount of desire to win games. the display vs morstar aside from last 15-20 mins was turgid. i get the feeling they already see europe as an inconvenience

also, unai said in recent interview that league is the priority

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

5th gets the same prize as winning the UECL- entry to the Europa League. Depending on where we are in the table it might be the easier option.

All games are tough but when we get back we'll have a good run of games we should be taking max points from, going on our form since Emery came in. That will have us in and about the top of the table  for a few weeks. That will change a few people's perspective, and boost our confidence. Hasn't happened yet, granted, but if it does then the only thing keeping us from a title charge will be fixtures against the other top 6. 

16 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

5th gets the same prize as winning the UECL- entry to the Europa League. Depending on where we are in the table it might be the easier option.

5th could potentially get Champions League though.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

We're 1 point better off than Leicester were after 8 games when they won the PL title in 2015/16 (15 Points). Also in the same league position (5th).

Can we? 

Unfortunately not. That season was the perfect storm where all of the 'big' teams were pretty rubbish. I think Spuds and Arsenal were the only teams that put up a bit of a challenge.

The points tally Leicester got is the lowest anyone has won it with in the last 10 years too.

Edited by villan95
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Unfortunately not. That season was the perfect storm where all of the 'big' teams were pretty rubbish. I think Spuds and Arsenal were the only teams that put up a bit of a challenge.

The points tally Leicester got is the lowest anyone has won it with in the last 10 years too.

But equally if a bunch of teams are all apparently quite decent to a similar level then they'll all take points off one another and there won't be (a) runaway leader(s).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

But equally if a bunch of teams are all apparently quite decent to a similar level then they'll all take points off one another and there won't be (a) runaway leader(s).

Fair point. I kind of expect Man City and maybe Arsenal/Liverpool to break away at some point but hopefully we can keep pace for as long as possible. 

• Like 1

Two points per game is pretty amazing if Villa can average that we'll be in with a shout...

However Villa need to start beating the likes of Arsenal, City and Liverpool especially at home to have any wild aspirations of winning the league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

We're 1 point better off than Leicester were after 8 games when they won the PL title in 2015/16 (15 Points). Also in the same league position (5th).

Can we? 

Not a chance.

• Haha 1